Gaston's Beginner - what to bring

Anthony, they have a bar, and the restaurant serves alcohol. Also, they sell wine in the gift shop, and I can't remember if they sell beer there too. They don't sell Moosehead and that's the only real beer. :D

If you want good wine, bring it yourself.... this is a fishing resort.

A bag for Rosie's head??? :D ;)

LOL Bill!!! Well, for the record I am NOT bringing Rosie O'Donnel and the woman I am bringing is stunning. :D

Just say No! to:

Attachments

• Rosie3.jpg
    Rosie3.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 9
Well, the whole place is substantially overpriced, IMO. Bring an unused credit card.

But hey, it's got a GREAT fly-in.

pretty much the way i feel to ken. although the 8 dollar crown/coke was worth it as it was payment for 45 minutes of dual in the Extra. pretty cheap instructinon. 15 dollar breakfast, here i come...

But hey, it's got a GREAT fly-in.
Ken, would it be possible for you to bring an extra copy of T&T to Jim Gaston? I promised him last year that I would get him a copy of the magazine the article was published in. BTW, do you have an extra copy I could have? :)

How could she be?!?!?!?! Since your not bringing me!

You are right Missa. How could I make such a statement. Wish you were attending.

Anthony, they have a bar, and the restaurant serves alcohol. Also, they sell wine in the gift shop, and I can't remember if they sell beer there too. They don't sell Moosehead and that's the only real beer. :D
And I would steer clear of the wine they sell. Pretty bad, IIRC.

Strawberry Hill would be palatable compared to the local swill that they sell...

I'll second that emotion. What the locally-produced and heavily-shilled wine lacks in flavor, it more than makes up in acidic, corrosive vigor.

A wine to be lain down and avoided.

I'll second that emotion. What the locally-produced and heavily-shilled wine lacks in flavor, it more than makes up in acidic, corrosive vigor.

A wine to be lain down and avoided.

You taking balsamic vinegar? ;)

Last year I used Patron Silver. Any requests for this year?

Holy crap! Patron's too good to be used in margaritas. After a certain point, you just can't tell any more.

With that (and your wallet) in mind, may I suggest Sauza Hornitos, which is a good enough tequila to make a DAMN good margarita, but won't cost nearly as much as the Patron. :cheerswine:

Thanks Tony and Nick for the explanation. Here in Kentucky, they have a soda called "Ale 8". Its popular here, but I've not tried it as I'm not a soda drinker. I wll not be bringing it.

Anthony,

It's "Ale 8 1" which can be pronounced "A late one." Bottled in Winchester, KY. The high school there has a machine with nothing but.

I tried it once. Let's just say I don't recommend it. :vomit:

Vernor's is the only "ginger ale" that actually has a kick to it. It doesn't taste anything like Canada Dry Ginger Ale, and frankly it doesn't make a good mixer but on it's own it's pretty good (might be an acquired taste).
It's bottled in the Detroit area and until recently wasn't "exported" out of state.
There is also Blenheim Ginger ale. Bottled in South Carolina and it also has a kick to it. I pick up a case whenever I',m in SC.

http://www.beveragesdirect.com/detail-49-Blenheim_Ginger_Ale_Hot_12_Pack.asp

If I ever come to Gastons I'll bring some. Probably happen right after Anthony marries Rosie though.

You are right Missa. How could I make such a statement. Wish you were attending.

Wish I could get a plane. Oh well there is always next year and I sill owe you a beating with a wet noodle since you missed Wings.

Missa

Wish I could get a plane. Oh well there is always next year and I sill owe you a beating with a wet noodle since you missed Wings.

Missa

missa, i think i saw that an offer is open to retrieve you from BNA if you can fly in commercial. perhaps in brooks thread about going to gastons. see you in a week

missa, i think i saw that an offer is open to retrieve you from BNA if you can fly in commercial. perhaps in brooks thread about going to gastons. see you in a week

See my response in that thread... "3 hr drive to PIT then a flight in a spam can. No thank you. It would be faster to just drive."

See my response in that thread... "3 hr drive to PIT then a flight in a spam can. No thank you. It would be faster to just drive."
So you're going to drive? Not as good as flying, but we're really looking forward to seeing you again! Glad you decided to come!

i guess it just depends on how bad you want to go.

So you're going to drive? Not as good as flying, but we're really looking forward to seeing you again! Glad you decided to come!

LOL... no but I have the plane double booked so if the #1 person cancles it will be mine. On the downside I'm the biggest weather wussie in the club and if someone canceles due to weather I probally will not go either.

Missa

Just keep tis in mind you do not want to make the TSA unhappy.

With certain exceptions for prescription and over-the-counter medicines, baby formula and breast milk, and other essential liquids, gels, and aerosols, the following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols you want to carry through a security checkpoint.
  1. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
  2. All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
  3. Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.
If I had a faster plane and could leave later I would stop and buy a cooler ful of hot boiled crawfish. They have a few places around town were you go and buy boiled crawfish by the pound. You car put them in your cooler and they stay warm for a long time. I will depart from KDTN too eary Saturday AM. To make this happen.
I will just have to wait to do that when I get the Bearhawk flying.
John

Don't forget your tie downs. After fighting with the screw in kind last year (ground very hard) I got a set of claws at OSH. Pound them in with a hammer.

Gary

OK. I figured it out. We ARE going a have BBQ, right?

I'll bring 10-20 pounds of actual polish sausage from an actual Milwaukee Avenue Chicago polish deli - the one where English is the foreign language.

Since we'll have kitchenettes, worse case we can make 'em on a stove.

Provided I make it, I'm planning on BBQing rather than the restaurant. The restaurant is not bad, but its expensive. The wait times are long (there's lots of people, so I don't blame them...but I don't want to deal with it again either), they added a minimum gratuity charge to my check last year (which guarantees that regardless of how well they performed, they'll not get one cent more out of me for a tip), etc. etc.

Brunch? Oh yeah, I'll pony up the $56 for the Sunday Brunch, but the rest of the time, I'm planning on BBQing. And I can make a mean hotdog!

BTW, what is this I'm reading about margaritas that DON'T involve tequila? You can do that???

Provided I make it, I'm planning on BBQing rather than the restaurant. The restaurant is not bad, but its expensive. The wait times are long (there's lots of people, so I don't blame them...but I don't want to deal with it again either), they added a minimum gratuity charge to my check last year (which guarantees that regardless of how well they performed, they'll not get one cent more out of me for a tip), etc. etc.

Brunch? Oh yeah, I'll pony up the $56 for the Sunday Brunch, but the rest of the time, I'm planning on BBQing. And I can make a mean hotdog!

BTW, what is this I'm reading about margaritas that DON'T involve tequila? You can do that???

Nick,
I'm with you on the BBQ, I am bringing the camper and staying just down the road. So when you are ready to go to town shopping let me know.

Nick,
First, don't leave the meat in a hot truck again this year, ya hear?
Second, Didn't see anything about margaritas w/o tequila. I said that I used Patron Silver last year, and Kent said you (well margaritas in general :rolleyes:) aren't worth the good stuff and cheaped out with Sauza Hornitos.:no::hairraise:

He apparently doesn't realize that my margaritas have a LOT of tequila, so you use the good stuff. General recipe:
2 part tequila
2 part fresh squeezed lime juice
1 part triple sec
1 part Grand Marnier
1 part premium orange juice
a little syrup to taste

pour over ice in salted rim glasses and garnish with lime.

He apparently doesn't realize that my margaritas have a LOT of tequila, so you use the good stuff. General recipe:
2 part tequila
2 part fresh squeezed lime juice
1 part triple sec
1 part Grand Marnier
1 part premium orange juice
a little syrup to taste

pour over ice in salted rim glasses and garnish with lime.

OK..........Well that pretty much cinches it. If my props not done I'm driving. :yes:

Back