Gaston's Beginner - what to bring

Dr. Bill

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Mitchell
My first year at Gastons. Bringing the family, too.

Swimsuits, fishing poles, lawn chairs, an airplane, and smiles.

Is there anything most people found 'valuable to have brought' in years past?

Is there a "Handgun and Hard Liquor Night"?

Generally we've all brought something from "home" that other parts of the country might not have. A certain beer, moon pies, shoo-fly pie, last year I brought Vernors, and the year before that I brought RC Cola to go with the moon pies. None of it is required however.

If I make it this year (95% liklihood) I shall be bringing Vernor's again.

Ok I have to ask, what is shoo-fly pie?

<----also a gastons newbie

Well Doc, as others have said, bring something unique to your area if you are so inclined, albeit not necessary.
I'll be bringing a bottle of Tennessee's finest 12 year old whiskey for our libation enjoyment.

What, I'm not unique enough??! hehe

I'm not in Florida so its kinda hard to bring something from where I'm from.

Just bring money to lose on the poker table. :D

...He says, knowing it will likely be famous last words...

My first year at Gastons.
Is there anything most people found 'valuable to have brought' in years past?
This will be my fourth year and I still can't decided what to bring. :D Maybe I'll just bring my parachutes and not worry about anything else.

Some people in the past brought things to bribe the judges. Chocolate or cream sherry might be nice. :D

im brining chocolate chip cookies. lots of chocolate chip cookies

I brought Green Chile 2 years ago. Didn't go over too well. I think Ron Levy and I were the only ones that ate it.

I don't know if I'm bringing anything, since I don't know what AZ has that no place else has...

ALTHOUGH - Ed, we have Vernors!

Doc, one thing we failed to bring last year were chairs. While there seemed to always be one available, it would have been more fair to all to be self sufficient.

My first year at Gastons.
Bill, there are a few hiking trails, one along the river, and one up the hill. Don't know if you wear cowboy boots for stuff like that. ;)

BTW, did you get the alternator fixed?

I brought Green Chile 2 years ago. Didn't go over too well. I think Ron Levy and I were the only ones that ate it.

I don't know if I'm bringing anything, since I don't know what AZ has that no place else has...

ALTHOUGH - Ed, we have Vernors!

I LOVE Green Chile! What is Vernors?

Vernors is this nasty Ginger Ale soda crap

I LOVE Green Chile! What is Vernors?

Its not too bad. It's Ed Fred's fly in specialty. Ginger Soda. I'm not a huge fan, but I'll drink it when its offered as a free gift. It has a bite. Tastes like it sounds, ginger soda.

1000 times better than Moxie any day. YEGH!

Its not too bad. It's Ed Fred's fly in specialty. Ginger Soda. I'm not a huge fan, but I'll drink it when its offered as a free gift. It has a bite. Tastes like it sounds, ginger soda.

Thanks Tony and Nick for the explanation. Here in Kentucky, they have a soda called "Ale 8". Its popular here, but I've not tried it as I'm not a soda drinker. I wll not be bringing it.

Vernors is this nasty Ginger Ale soda crap

Vernor's is the only "ginger ale" that actually has a kick to it. It doesn't taste anything like Canada Dry Ginger Ale, and frankly it doesn't make a good mixer but on it's own it's pretty good (might be an acquired taste). One really fabulous way to experience it is in what's called a "Boston Cooler" which is Vernor's and vanilla ice cream. Mmmm, now I want one.

It's bottled in the Detroit area and until recently wasn't "exported" out of state. My relatives from D.C. used to load their car with a half dozen cases to take home each time they came back to Detroit for a visit, and I think half of that ended up going to their friends who they'd gotten "hooked".

Vernor's is the only "ginger ale" that actually has a kick to it. It doesn't taste anything like Canada Dry Ginger Ale, and frankly it doesn't make a good mixer but on it's own it's pretty good (might be an acquired taste). One really fabulous way to experience it is in what's called a "Boston Cooler" which is Vernor's and vanilla ice cream. Mmmm, now I want one.

It's bottled in the Detroit area and until recently wasn't "exported" out of state. My relatives from D.C. used to load their car with a half dozen cases to take home each time they came back to Detroit for a visit, and I think half of that ended up going to their friends who they'd gotten "hooked".

I remember getting Vernors in Illinois about 25 years ago, and I've always loved it. It does have a kick, about the same as Reed's Ginger Beer, a Jamaican brew that's also very good.

BTW, did you get the alternator fixed?

I've got my best man on it....:eek: And after 2 days of troubleshooting::dunno:

He's searching for a rebuilt generator (that'd make the plane ready tomorrow), and if we can't find one to get here by tomorrow, we'll just send mine off to be rebuilt - which MIGHT be able to be finished by Thursday. (We'll be in Gaston's Thur through Sat.)

If not, we'll be flying 2 of us in the 150, and the rest will be driving. Or I'll rent something.

ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.... See you there!!!;)

OK, back to the original topic. Here's a start to the list:

Chairs
Bug Spray
Sunblock
Adult and/or non-adult beverages (Does Gaston's serve alcohol or are there bar/restaurants nearby?)
Fishing gear if you want to fish (I don't)
Playing cards
No technology :D
Swimming trunks/bathing suit
Flip flops or sandals
Binoculars to critique the approaches and landings
Radio/Transceiver

What else?

Chairs
Bug Spray
Sunblock
Adult and/or non-adult beverages (Does Gaston's serve alcohol or are there bar/restaurants nearby?)
Playing cards
Flip flops or sandals
Radio/Transceiver

What else?

I'm bringing my own set of towels. Towels are provided, but the ones in my cottage last year were pretty tiny and threadbare.

Chairs
Bug Spray
Sunblock
Playing cards
Flip flops or sandals
Radio/Transceiver

What else?
Sense of Humor
failing that, Thick Skin

wish I could be there!

-Skip

Ok I have to ask, what is shoo-fly pie?

<----also a gastons newbie
Since I brought it I guess I should explain it:It's thickened molasses on crumb crust (best I can tell). It's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing .

BTW, if you aren't confused enough, the Pennsylvania Dutch aren't of Dutch descent nor even remoted related to the Netherlands.

Anthony, they have a bar, and the restaurant serves alcohol. Also, they sell wine in the gift shop, and I can't remember if they sell beer there too. They don't sell Moosehead and that's the only real beer. :D

gastons serves alcohol. 8 bucks for a crown and coke, IIRC.

BTW, if you aren't confused enough, the Pennsylvania Dutch aren't of Dutch descent nor even remoted related to the Netherlands.

Its a colloquial term for German as in "Deutch". However, I believe many of the Amish and Menonites are of Swiss decent.

Anthony, they have a bar, and the restaurant serves alcohol. Also, they sell wine in the gift shop, and I can't remember if they sell beer there too. They don't sell Moosehead and that's the only real beer. :D

Thanks Diana. We can work on that clear plastic purse you're going to buy. Fill it woth Moosehead! :D

Back