Gaston's 2010

Don't be so quick...

I think a certified taste test needs to be completed before the contracts are signed. I heartily volunteer to perform this task (for the good of the PoA community and all). PJ, I will be home for lunch at noon - I expect a full lineup at that time (you DO deliver, right? ;)). :D

Don't be so quick...

I think a certified taste test needs to be completed before the contracts are signed. I heartily volunteer to perform this task (for the good of the PoA community and all). PJ, I will be home for lunch at noon - I expect a full lineup at that time (you DO deliver, right? ;)). :D

Yeah, not to Iowa, sorry buddy. If you were to bring the RV-10 to Houston and offer me a ride, I could be persuaded to whip something up.

so who is going to arrange for a tent that will seat 50ish people, extra tables and chairs, and (most importantly) a couple portable AC units to the flight line?

so who is going to arrange for a tent that will seat 50ish people, extra tables and chairs, and (most importantly) a couple portable AC units to the flight line?

Not me! :no: And I'm not cooking either. :no: I don't even cook at home, so I'm sure not going to cook at Gaston's. :no:

Not me! :no: And I'm not cooking either. :no: I don't even cook at home, so I'm sure not going to cook at Gaston's. :no:

You just keep doing what you do so well: flying, smiling, giving rides and having fun.

We'll cook!

im with you diana. i guess it will be me you tom and leah in the restaurant next year. but we'll be cool and dry and will enjoy the company :)

if i wanted to spend all weekend cooking i'd go to a cook out, not a fly in.

oh and btw i mean no offense against the grill crew (bill, brent etc.) who do an excellent job every year.

You just keep doing what you do so well: flying, smiling, giving rides and having fun.

We'll cook!
Awww. :redface: Aren't you sweet! :blowingkisses: I always feel kinda bad when I leave that I didn't give all the rides that I had promised. Like to your family. Sigh....

A nice idea, but I doubt Gastons is going to lend us their vans to haul the group away from their own restaurant.

And for the record, I'm not against the high prices, it is just that I expect a good meal at that price. At best, these are $8-15 meals, NOT $25 meals.

Food $10 + Ambiance $15.

im with you diana. i guess it will be me you tom and leah in the restaurant next year. but we'll be cool and dry and will enjoy the company :)

if i wanted to spend all weekend cooking i'd go to a cook out, not a fly in.

Actually, I think it would be easier to socialize with a larger group of people if we weren't confined to a single table. (No offense to the fine company at our table, by the way ;)) At cookouts, it's a lot easier to walk around and mingle than at a cramped restaurant.

The biggest negative about outdoor cooking would be the Arkansas heat. The restaurant is at least good at their a/c. :)

oh and btw i mean no offense against the grill crew (bill, brent etc.) who do an excellent job every year.

Speaking of which, I never got around to making any contribution to the grill crew and/or other generous food suppliers and I'd like to. Who would be the most appropriate person to send money to?

Speaking of which, I never got around to making any contribution to the grill crew and/or other generous food suppliers and I'd like to. Who would be the most appropriate person to send money to?

Likely Bill and Brent. I'm not sure though -- I put some burgers and buns and whatnot out there..but I didn't have much of anything invested into purchasing it. I think they supplied most of the meet.

Actually, I think it would be easier to socialize with a larger group of people if we weren't confined to a single table. (No offense to the fine company at our table, by the way ;)) At cookouts, it's a lot easier to walk around and mingle than at a cramped restaurant.

The biggest negative about outdoor cooking would be the Arkansas heat. The restaurant is at least good at their a/c. :)

Not just the heat, but the rain, bugs, humidity etc.

Likely Bill and Brent. I'm not sure though -- I put some burgers and buns and whatnot out there..but I didn't have much of anything invested into purchasing it. I think they supplied most of the meet.
I put out two packages of Johnsonville brats, but I don't think they were ever cooked up. The margaritas and Crown, however, were eagerly consumed! :):drink:

Awww. :redface: Aren't you sweet! :blowingkisses: I always feel kinda bad when I leave that I didn't give all the rides that I had promised. Like to your family. Sigh....

No worries--you're busy at Gaston's. We'll just stop by and visit you at the farm and mow the runway in exchange for rides, sometime when we're headed to KC to visit family...

+ 1 ...

I think it'll stay June. We already have the Wings Fly-B-Q in May. I would even say that moving it to late June would make more sense, seeing as Osh is late July and 6Y9 is Labor Day. It would better divide up the time between events.

Ted clearly wasn't at Gaston's a few years ago...

It was in late June, Ted, but it is even hotter and more humid, with really bad haze due to the humidity. (When the sky looks white...)

So, it was moved to the first weekend in June. This year, it was moved to the second weekend in June, though I have no idea why. :dunno: I wouldn't want it to move any later. :no:

I posted the first two photos in another thread, but just in case they weren't noticed, here they are again. I took these with my iPhone on the way down to Gaston's last Friday. The official runway is next to that road and has some trees close to one end. The planned paved runway is the wider one with dirt in spots. The third photo is one I am posting that I saw on their website.

Perhaps not everyone would be comfortable landing/taking off on that runway on a hot day with a plane load of people.

No, and certainly the Barons and other airplanes that aren't so hot on short fields would have to be left behind - But Steven made it sound in the other thread as if the trees would be gone next year, and that the runway might be longer, too. So, hopefully it would be suitable for most of our airplanes.

This year, it was moved to the second weekend in June, though I have no idea why.

There's a simple explanation, though my wordy response here belies that claim. :D

Gastons is always scheduled for the weekend before Father's Day (which falls on the 3rd Sunday in June). In 2008, since the month of June started on Sunday the 1st, Father's Day was the 15th, and the early start to the month made the Gastons weekend fall on the 1st full weekend (the 6th-8th) of the month.

This year, the month also had an early start (Monday the 1st), but that pushed Father's Day out to the 21st, and Gastons to the 2nd full weekend.

Next year, it's also the 2nd weekend.

You can settle in on the "2nd weekend in June" thought for a while, Kent--it will be June 2025 before we encounter the 2008 "1st weekend" thing again. :D I wonder what we'll be flying then.

You can settle in on the "2nd weekend in June" thought for a while, Kent--it will be June 2025 before we encounter the 2008 "1st weekend" thing again. :D I wonder what we'll be flying then.

I hope you're right Troy...'cause in a year or so I won't be able to make it if its on the first weekend of June 'cause of requirements of the church for me to be at our yearly conference (always first full weekend in June)...since I don't have an official church position right not, I'm not required to go...also why I couldn't go with Greg the first time he went.

I hope you're right Troy...'cause in a year or so I won't be able to make it if its on the first weekend of June 'cause of requirements of the church for me to be at our yearly conference (always first full weekend in June)...since I don't have an official church position right not, I'm not required to go...also why I couldn't go with Greg the first time he went.

You're good to go til 2025!

Or, are there any decent airport restaurants in the area? We could have the Gaston's Fly-in Fly-out! :yes:

Kent, that idea seems really good, but for one thing. By the time we got out from dinner, it would be dark. Gaston's would have ALOT of people to pick up in their van!!

Kent, that idea seems really good, but for one thing. By the time we got out from dinner, it would be dark. Gaston's would have ALOT of people to pick up in their van!!

Naah, we'd just have to do it a little earlier. Or just at a place with faster service than Gaston's restaurant. :eek:

whats the hurry with supper? we're sitting with friends that some of us only see once a year. its dark (and usually foggy) so its not like we would be flying anyway.

Someone asked me about the official dates for 2010 so he could reserve a cabin now. Are the definite official dates (written in stone), June 10 (early arrivals), 11, 12, 13?

Nobody is in a hurry, it's just that the novelty wears off after sitting for an hour and ten minutes and then being served something that is both overpriced and inedible. And a certain age group needs their sleep.

whats the hurry with supper? we're sitting with friends that some of us only see once a year. its dark (and usually foggy) so its not like we would be flying anyway.

Someone asked me about the official dates for 2010 so he could reserve a cabin now. Are the definite official dates (written in stone), June 10 (early arrivals), 11, 12, 13?

as far as I know.

Troy seems to have spoken with authority. :yes:

Well, really early arrivals can show up June 9 or even 8, but yes. June 10 - 13.

Yes Diana -- which is why I put it at the top of the site..to hopefully eliminate any "date switching" confusing threads.

Back