Gaston's 2010

"Always sad to see everyone go home. We'll see you next year, June 10 (early arrivals), 11, 12, 13."

Jesse, not too early to start a new countdown header!

Yet another idea...Plan a meal for everyone to participate in for Saturday evening. Whether its barbeque or maybe each cabin with a kitchen can volunteer their kitchen to be used to make a lasagna or spaghetti (or something that is easy to feed a lot of people)..enough of them made to feed everyone - would need to figure out where we would eat. Since many leave early on Sunday, individuals can be on their own for breakfast on Sunday.

Rest of the time, people are on their own. My idea at this point for next year for me and Greg, (hope you like this idea, Greg) that others could use if they wish.

Thursday evening: Pizza at Sees; Friday morning: breakfast in the cabin (as some did this year, those who don't have a kitchen, ask someone who has one to borrow their kitchen to make your breakfast);
Friday lunch: grill hot dogs/hamburgers, Friday dinner: (If we stay in a large cabin), set out a notice on the web board that I plan on preparing a meal (or something easy that feeds a lot such as a casserole) and how many it will feed. Tell everyone, there will be a sign-up sheet at Gastons Thursday evening at the Sees to sign up if you wish to share in the meal with us & help cover cost of food & help prepare or clean up. Hopefully there would be enough people in the larger cabins willing to prepare a meal and also invite others until everyone at the fly-in has a place to go for dinner; Saturday morning: see Friday morning; Saturday lunch: grill hotdogs/hamburgers; Saturday evening: large group meal; Sunday morning: Brunch

I'm sure Greg will let me know if he doesn't like this idea.:rolleyes:

"Always sad to see everyone go home. We'll see you next year, June 10 (early arrivals), 11, 12, 13."

Jesse, not too early to start a new countdown header!

Sorry you didn't like my idea of hooking a bungie cord from the P-Baron, dragging you to Dallas; then, slinging you forward. I thought it sounded pretty good the night before after that second bourbon. :rofl:

Best,

Dave

It is really easy to take a van to the grocery store at Gastons. Considering how a lot of the cabins have full kitchens and everyone of them has a grill it is not that difficult to cook for yourself or for a group.

Yeah, we can do that. I think with 2 or 3 grills we can make enough of a variety of things to serve the crowd. I wish I could bring my cousin's ex or another pro.

The problem is we have to commit to it - to be outside or at a designated cabin and not make diner reservations.

We don't need to have a lot of food outside with no one there.

Remember "It costs no more to go first class!"

EDIT: What Sharon said.

We could(?) make one or more turkeys or other roasts in the cabin ovens.

I'll be the food deputy.

Last edited:
WE? I didn't see you there, Mike. :rofl:

My only non-restaurant, non-heat complaint was the drink stockage at the flight line. I dumped in a case of coke for public consumption, but couldn't find anything else to drink once that was gone, except for 3 coors lights. Everyone who is planning on taking from the public coolers should bring enough for themselves for the weekend, plus another 50% to supply the coolers.

WE? I didn't see you there, Mike. :rofl:

My only non-restaurant, non-heat complaint was the drink stockage at the flight line. I dumped in a case of coke for public consumption, but couldn't find anything else to drink once that was gone, except for 3 coors lights. Everyone who is planning on taking from the public coolers should bring enough for themselves for the weekend, plus another 50% to supply the coolers.

I think we had overflowing previous years.

Mebbe we need to start a pay in jar and make a run to town.

I will make better arrangements next year but I am afraid of being delayed by weather.

In Previous years I brought like 4 cases myself.

What's the biggest tent we can put up?

Yeah, we can do that. I think with 2 or 3 grills we can make enough of a variety of things to serve the crowd. I wish I could bring my cousin's ex or another pro.

The problem is we have to commit to it - to be outside or at a designated cabin and not make diner reservations.

We don't need to have a lot of food outside with no one there.

Remember "It costs no more to go first class!"

EDIT: What Sharon said.

We could(?) make one or more turkeys or other roasts in the cabin ovens.

I'll be the food deputy.

Our table had a pretty sad time with Jim Gaston, and the cold, burned food, dried fish, factory frozen and heated Chicken Fried Steak. Wayne refused to eat his. I had not had lunch and Jim was not forthcoming for >20 minutes, so I ate mine. 100 minutes total in that chair, I had a sore butt. Phil was pretty vociferous about his.

I think before we pin a date we need again to look at a different venue, or I will be catering.

I learned the first year, and now have salad bar only for dinner, and it was satisfactory. Hard to screw up a salad bar.

This is also why Brent and I did a food run for pastries for breakfast, and dogs/burgers for the flightline grill. For the price of a few expen$ive so so Gastons dinners, we can feed lunches to the whole crew Friday and Saturday.

Gastons lodging and lodging location to the flight line is hard to beat, and there ARE alternatives to the restaurant.

Health Issues should not be ignored next year. After much research and discussion with our attending physician, I have concluded that the combination of heat, humidity and mosquitos present a significant threat for malaria and other tropical diseases, especially to those significantly at risk (including the elderly).

As one who would be among the most endangered, I intend to provision significant provisions of quinine water and an appropriate lubricant/mixing agent to help kill the taste, along with sufficient limes to help ward off scurvy.

Are there any restaurants outside of Gastons that can accommodate all of us? If so, why can't we steal a couple of the vans and load all of us up (I guess a few trips will happen) and go somewhere off site? The thing that I enjoy the most is sitting at a table with a lot of people and enjoying good conversation! :)

Health Issues should not be ignored next year. After much research and discussion with our attending physician, I have concluded that the combination of heat, humidity and mosquitos present a significant threat for malaria and other tropical diseases, especially to those significantly at risk (including the elderly).

As one who would be among the most endangered, I intend to provision significant provisions of quinine water and an appropriate lubricant/mixing agent to help kill the taste, along with sufficient limes to help ward off scurvy.

Wayne, would Bombay work???

Are there any restaurants outside of Gastons that can accommodate all of us? If so, why can't we steal a couple of the vans and load all of us up

A nice idea, but I doubt Gastons is going to lend us their vans to haul the group away from their own restaurant.

And for the record, I'm not against the high prices, it is just that I expect a good meal at that price. At best, these are $8-15 meals, NOT $25 meals.

Sounds more or less reasonable to me, since that is what some people are doing anyway. Just more or less formalizing it.

I don't think it, meals other than Sat. Evening, need to be "formalized" per se... just let people know its ok to ask to use other's cabins, etc. I think we have too big a group to try to officially formalizing meals other than Sat. evening & Sunday brunch.

The thing that I enjoy the most is sitting at a table with a lot of people and enjoying good conversation! :)

I'm with this. We all know we can make better food for less money on the grill at the flight line. what we can't do on the flight line is create a nice, cool, dry environment for enjoying said meal.

I, for one, enjoy getting cleaned up after a long day of flying, and sitting down in climate controlled comfort with friends. after 4 years of going, i know that im going to spend a lot of money on a mediocre supper. this is well publicized in this forum, should not be a surprise to anyone.

I'm with this. We all know we can make better food for less money on the grill at the flight line. what we can't do on the flight line is create a nice, cool, dry environment for enjoying said meal.

I, for one, enjoy getting cleaned up after a long day of flying, and sitting down in climate controlled comfort with friends. after 4 years of going, i know that im going to spend a lot of money on a mediocre supper. this is well publicized in this forum, should not be a surprise to anyone.

Good point, Tony. Besides, salad bar is always an option.

I vote that next year we rent a rig like the wedding folks had and pay Andrew Stanley's way to Gaston's. It'll cost less, the food will be phenomenal, and those of you who don't get to the FlyBQ will finally get to meet Andrew! :)

That's a great suggestion. I'll just tow it up behind the Expedition. ;-)

Another idea I heard bantered around, since the cost is the major complaint, and lunch is significantly less expensive at Gastons, is to do a Saturday LUNCH around 1:00, rather than dinner at 7:00; after all, that's when it's HOT outside. Dinner time on Saturday is cool and nice--we want to be out flying!!

Another idea I heard bantered around, since the cost is the major complaint, and lunch is significantly less expensive at Gastons, is to do a Saturday LUNCH around 1:00, rather than dinner at 7:00; after all, that's when it's HOT outside. Dinner time on Saturday is cool and nice--we want to be out flying!!
Well, that's a good idea - but I suspect the service would be as abysmal at lunch as it was at dinner Saturday. Include me out.

Steve-

Good observation about the overall professional attitude as regards the flight activities.

A very good "flow" has developed- publishing and using the "Dam Approach" has been such a successful initiative; between that, pilot courtesy and plain old common sense, it is a great way to handle the traffic. It was a lot of fun, and I know that, when I was flying, the quality of position reports and coordination was excellent. To all G VI pilots: SA-lute!

I also saw both Jesse and Jay (and I'm sure there were others) do a right 360 on downwind, or turn north from downwind, crossing midfield to re-join over the dam, when multiple aircraft had been holding for some time to get out. That's great gentlemanly airmanship!

Hmmm. That sounds suspiciously like Grant's margaritas! They're the best medicine! :D

Are there any restaurants outside of Gastons that can accommodate all of us? If so, why can't we steal a couple of the vans and load all of us up (I guess a few trips will happen) and go somewhere off site? The thing that I enjoy the most is sitting at a table with a lot of people and enjoying good conversation! :)

Or, are there any decent airport restaurants in the area? We could have the Gaston's Fly-in Fly-out! :yes:

Or maybe Steven from the Perfect Landing Airpark could do a cookout for us... Doh! I think we should formalize that at a more particular time next year, that'd work great for one meal, maybe.

OBTW, I did get a sandwich in the restaurant at lunch on Saturday. Prices were MUCH more reasonable, and service better - They weren't nearly as busy. Plus, as someone pointed out, that's the time of day to be inside in the A/C!

Hmmm. That sounds suspiciously like Grant's margaritas! They're the best medicine! :D
Thanks!

Or, are there any decent airport restaurants in the area? We could have the Gaston's Fly-in Fly-out! :yes:

Or maybe Steven from the Perfect Landing Airpark could do a cookout for us... Doh! I think we should formalize that at a more particular time next year, that'd work great for one meal, maybe.
Going to Steven's sounds like a good idea. Or Lambert's at Sikeston is only 148NM away!

I wish I had known...:rofl:

it rained all the time, too, which turned the runway into a mudhole and it really cut into the flying ....:rofl:

and the women were ugly...:rofl:

and the plane rides were way too expensive for anyone to enjoy...:rofl:

and the food on the flightline, well, there just wasn't enough to go around...:rofl:

and, omg, the noise...:rofl:

i just don't think i'd ever want to subject myself to all of this again...:rofl:

may i have some cheese, pleez...:rofl:

After seeing that runway from 300', I think a commitment to fly in there would warrant further investigation of the landing facilities. Plus, some folks don't have airplanes that can safely make it in and out of there the way it is right now. Perhaps the paved strip will be done by next year.

OK, so where we I sign up for 2010? And what destination to I plug into the GPS ?
And is now May or June ? Too many questions, not enough answers........

I think it'll stay June. We already have the Wings Fly-B-Q in May. I would even say that moving it to late June would make more sense, seeing as Osh is late July and 6Y9 is Labor Day. It would better divide up the time between events.

see the top of your screen:

Always sad to see everyone go home. We'll see you next year, June 10 (early arrivals), 11, 12, 13.​

One downside of moving it to later in the month is the average temperature will likely be even hotter. :mad3:

Gastons's identifier is TREE MIKE ZERO. Most people file for BPK.

I think it'll stay June. We already have the Wings Fly-B-Q in May. I would even say that moving it to late June would make more sense, seeing as Osh is late July and 6Y9 is Labor Day. It would better divide up the time between events.

Last edited:
Or maybe Steven from the Perfect Landing Airpark could do a cookout for us... Doh!

Thanks!
Going to Steven's sounds like a good idea.

After seeing that runway from 300', I think a commitment to fly in there would warrant further investigation of the landing facilities. Plus, some folks don't have airplanes that can safely make it in and out of there the way it is right now. Perhaps the paved strip will be done by next year.

I posted the first two photos in another thread, but just in case they weren't noticed, here they are again. I took these with my iPhone on the way down to Gaston's last Friday. The official runway is next to that road and has some trees close to one end. The planned paved runway is the wider one with dirt in spots. The third photo is one I am posting that I saw on their website.

Perhaps not everyone would be comfortable landing/taking off on that runway on a hot day with a plane load of people.

Attachments

• MU24 1.jpg
    MU24 1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 29
  • MU24 2.jpg
    MU24 2.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 31
  • MU24aerial.jpg
    MU24aerial.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 33
I posted the first two photos in another thread, but just in case they weren't noticed, here they are again. I took these with my iPhone on the way down to Gaston's last Friday. The official runway is next to that road and has some trees close to one end. The planned paved runway is the wider one with dirt in spots. The third photo is one I am posting that I saw on their website.

Perhaps not everyone would be comfortable landing/taking off on that runway on a hot day with a plane load of people.

Wow.. Probably not an 'easy-in easy-out' but that would be a hoot in a cub or bird-dog!

A little late to this conversation, but, FWIW, if I were ever to actually make it to Gastons...

I LOVE TO COOK! My girlfriend and I both do. And we're good at it! So, if people were to pitch in for the ingredients and we were to have access to a kitchen and a couple of 'sous chefs', we'd be glad to cook at least one meal for the crowd. Once again, that's predicated on us actually making it to Gaston's one of these years... ;)

I submit, as evidence, the spread that we made for a St. Patty's Day party we held at our house:

IMG_2747.jpg

Clockwise, from the front, we have:

Fruit tray with Bailey's Irish Cream Fruit Dip
Corned Beef & Swiss Appetizers (beyond the fruit dip)
Green & White cup cakes
Irish Cheese Bites with Mango Chutney
Homemade Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Sheep Dip (Feta cheese, Ricotta Cheese, caraway seeds, pine nuts)
Triple Threat Guinness Cheese Dip (Cheddar cheese, Cream Cheese, Bleu Cheese, Guinness, Caraway Seeds, Paprika)
Smoked Salmon on Homemade Irish Soda Bread Crostinis
More cup cakes
Veggie tray with Dill Dip

Last edited:
Back