Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
EDIT:

Order your 2009 Gaston's T-Shirts HERE!
http://www.cafepress.com/gastons09

4131727.jpg

I somehow volunteered myself to cover Gaston's T-Shirts and here they are. After trying to scramble for free time I decided the best way for me to offer T-Shirts for the Gaston's Fly-In would be through cafepress.com. It turned out there was no way I was going to be able to handle the billing, inventory, and shipping of T-shirts without going broke or crazy, so I thought I'd hand all that over to the pros. Cafe Press is now using a direct printing process for these shirts which makes them better quality than with the old transfer-type process.

According to Cafe Press:
"With Direct Printing, we print direct-to-fabric with no transfers. The result is a matte image that moves with the garment because the ink is actually embedded in the fabric for ultimate wearable comfort. After a few washes, you will notice the great durability of Direct Printing. That means greater image staying power."

In other words hopefully these shirts will be of decent quality and I will not get thrown into the river.

Please hurry to order these as regular shipping can take up to a week. Faster shipping is available at a premium price. Due to my typical procrastination you all will have to get on that web site soon if you want the shirts by the fly-in.

The store has an e-mail address where you can contact me if you'd like to see some other products that I haven't offered. Note there are no pocket T-shirts available through Cafe Press - or at least I haven't found them.

I was considering a markup to cover the cost of designing these shirts but I decided that would be too much of a hassle. The prices you see reflect Cafe Press's base prices.

Thanks to my friend Jenny for helping me do the graphics design work.

The logo features a river with a dam and hills, and a Cessna 195. Greg will want to buy large quantities. ;)

The store will remain online for an indefinite time so anyone who wants to order even after the fly-in will be able to.

-----------------------------------------
Original post March 17 2009

Our temperature just topped 60, provoking me to wear short sleeves to the airport for the first time this year. I'm wearing my Gaston's 2007 T-Shirt!

Has anyone thought of doing Gaston's T-Shirts again this year? I would be interested in buying one.

Last edited:
Our temperature just topped 60, provoking me to wear short sleeves to the airport for the first time this year. I'm wearing my Gaston's 2007 T-Shirt!

Has anyone thought of doing Gaston's T-Shirts again this year? I would be interested in buying one.
Leslie and I still wear ours pretty regularly, too. Sounds like a good idea to me!

Kate -
When you start taking orders, I'll order a couple. Just let me know what the options are. Thanks for taking the lead on this! ;)

I still wear my GIV shirt a lot, even though people tell me it looks pink.

yep i still wear mine regularly. kate - count me in for 2.

I *knew* I shouldn't have said anything! :eek:

Is it difficult to organize something like this? I don't know much 'bout ordering custom T-shirts. Is there a way we could just come up with a design and then everyone could individually order from the company producing the shirts? (And have them shipped) Or does that not work so well?

I still wear my GIV shirt a lot, even though people tell me it looks pink.

Chuckle. Celia tells me that about it, as well. I (on the other hand) am secure enough in my manliness, that I simply do not care.

I *knew* I shouldn't have said anything! :eek:

Is it difficult to organize something like this? I don't know much 'bout ordering custom T-shirts. Is there a way we could just come up with a design and then everyone could individually order from the company producing the shirts? (And have them shipped) Or does that not work so well?

I know: ask Chip!

1. Take order COMMITMENTS
  2. Get T-Shirt design
  3. Contact Chip's vendor
  4. Collect money
  5. Place order for committed plus a few more (in Large?) (donated funds?)
  6. Have order shipped to someone nearby ??? Chip?
  7. Issue G-IV uniforms
  8. Sell the extras

That's it,.... Kate. :rofl::rofl:

1. Take order COMMITMENTS
  2. Get T-Shirt design
  3. Contact Chip's vendor
  4. Collect money
  5. Place order for committed plus a few more (in Large?) (donated funds?)
  6. Have order shipped to someone nearby ??? Chip?
  7. Issue G-IV uniforms
  8. Sell the extras

That's it,.... Kate. :rofl::rofl:

Deep breath.... Here goes:

:D I'LL DO IT! :D

But I'm gonna need help! And I especially like the part about shipping to someone nearby. I don't want to put the poor 172B over gross or outta room with a giant box of T-Shirts. I am already hauling cheese curds after all.

I am already hung up on step 2. What I failed to mention earlier, however, is that I have designed a T-shirt before! And I have a best friend in the graphic arts field.

Chip standby for PM's!

excellent kate.

kate is a great artist, im sure whatever she comes up with for a tshirt design will be perfect.

kate - plan on me for a large and a small.

Just as a suggestion. Would an outfit like cafe press make sense? This way you just need to supply the artwork, and then the logistics of printing shipping etc are not all heaped on one poor soul.

Just as a suggestion. Would an outfit like cafe press make sense? This way you just need to supply the artwork, and then the logistics of printing shipping etc are not all heaped on one poor soul.

I think that's the best way to do it. Plus, that way you don't have to deal with things like ordering too many. Everyone orders exactly what they want. Additionally, that way you have a bunch of different styles available. People like me don't need more t-shirts, but we'll take more long-sleeve shirts. :)

Chuckle. Celia tells me that about it, as well. I (on the other hand) am secure enough in my manliness, that I simply do not care.

As am I, Spike, hence my hair being longer than most of our female pilot friends. ;)

Thanks for succumbing to the pressure, Kate. :smile:

Put me down for two Large shirts (pocket T's would be the bomb).

kate is the tshirt queen, i say that we let her decide the method of production and purchase. ill be happy to blindly mail her a check for however much she tells me(plus a little extra for her time, dont forget shes a CFI).

Kate, if you're friend can't help with a design, let me know. One of Leslie's sisters is an animatrix, and could probably come up with something. (She's the one who did my current avatar on the back of the envelope from my birthday card.)

kate is the tshirt queen, i say that we let her decide the method of production and purchase. ill be happy to blindly mail her a check for however much she tells me(plus a little extra for her time, dont forget shes a CFI).

Agreed, Tony. I'll blindly mail Kate a check. If I get a t-shirt out of the deal, even better. ;)

Kate, didn't mean to step on your toes. :)

I actually kinda think it's cooler to get them all in a box and have them handed out at Gaston's so we're all wearing them. :yes:

That's the key issue to avoid. Cafe Press T-Shirts are like home made quick presses on Fruit of the Looms that don't last. Chip's supplier had great quality shirts and long-lasting printing.

That's the key issue to avoid. Cafe Press T-Shirts are like home made quick presses on Fruit of the Looms that don't last. Chip's supplier had great quality shirts and long-lasting printing.
As evidenced by the fact that I was wearing it today and it STILL looks good. (Though that's probably just because I was in it! :nono::rofl:)

Thanks again, Chip!

(Oh, we'll take 2 XL or 2 XXL :yes:)

Kate,
You could probably have them shipped to you c/o Gaston's Resort. But if you don't want to do that, ship them to me, we are pulling the camper down, so I will have room to haul them. It is only a two hour drive to Gaston's for me.

Chip's supplier had great quality shirts and long-lasting printing.

Definitely. I think that's why I would want to go with that same place (even if it means extra work).

Kate, as for Gross weight, you can stop at PIA and off load them to me. The Seneca has the useful load of a 206.

I'll arrive Saturday before Noon. I'll commit to two shirts, just tell me price and snail mail address.

As far as art design, whenever I need anything aviation related done, I use Jeff Bucchino (www.WizardOfDraws.com); he's not only a great cartoon artist, but is also a GA instrument-rated private pilot.

You can see some of his work on this page (look at all the aviation related ones):

http://wizardofdraws.com/main/thelist.html

If you see something there you like, I'm willing to bet he'll let us use it for these T-shirts for free (you'd just need to add the "Gastons 2009" part, and I have the tools to do that) and put his name somewhere on it for credit.

EDIT: This one reminds me of a cartoon we used to watch as kids, "Wacky Races" with Dick Dastardly and Muttley, and all the other "contestants". Just had a fun run down memory lane on YouTube with that one, especially the episodes involving airplanes!

Last edited:
Well, planning is in the works. I will edit post #1 in this thread with info on actually ordering a shirt as soon as everything is figured out.

Well, planning is in the works. I will edit post #1 in this thread with info on actually ordering a shirt as soon as everything is figured out.
I'll pass the information on to the folks on the Purple Board. Several of them are coming and will likely want one too. :)

Kate, also bump the thread so we who just hit the new post button will know the info is there. ; ) Thanks.

As evidenced by the fact that I was wearing it today and it STILL looks good. (Though that's probably just because I was in it! :nono::rofl:)

Thanks again, Chip!

(Oh, we'll take 2 XL or 2 XXL :yes:)

I looked at my G-IV T-Shirt. I think one secret is the whole shirt is hand dyed so the dye is inherent to the shirt.

More, pleeze. :D

I'll order a couple of 2XLs, too.

Chip has checked with the vendor about shirts.

Before I go making any decisions and get thrown into the river, what does everyone think about a lighter weight T-shirt, not the same kind as before, with a price close to $25? Or are we pretty attached to the kind of shirt we had in 2007? (I am.) That style shirt might actually be cheaper. I guess what I am trying to ask is whether you have roasted or not in that shirt. Plus, is $25 too much.

What he said. ^^^^ :D
Not to muck up the water..a pocket T would be killer if not too much of a problem and there is ample demand.

Me three on the pocket.

Back