Gaston's 2008 food thread

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
We had a lot of people volunteer to eat food in the volunteer thread, so I thought I'd start a fresh food thread. ;)

I'm bringing fresh organic blueberries (we travel light :D ). Other than that, I'm eating in the restaurant because I want to fly and not cook. :D

If someone wants to offer to grill at their place or at the runway, I'll offer to chip in for me and Tom to eat whatever you grill.

Lance, is Sue bringing her yummy hors d'oeuvres?

Ill have to start baking chocolate chip cookies here pretty soon in order to meet the demand that exists.

There will be wine and champagne at Pardon's/Lutian's.....I also must have good coffee - with real cream....so if you need a coffee fix, see me. I'll bake some cookies, too, Tony....take some pressure off of you. ;)

Other than that....we'll be going to the restaurant with Diana and Tom. :yes:

I'll volunteer to bring some wine if y'all want... although I can't guarantee enough supply to meet demand. :)

There will be wine and champagne at Pardon's/Lutian's.....I also must have good coffee - with real cream....so if you need a coffee fix, see me.
I think we found the party cottage this year! :D Speaking of which, I need to find out what number cottage we're in. Maybe we need to post our cottage numbers somewhere?

I'll bake some cookies, too, Tony....take some pressure off of you. ;)
Yummmmmm, I've had some of your cookies.

Other than that....we'll be going to the restaurant with Diana and Tom. :yes:
:)

Anybody like "Fruit Cake" ???:dunno:
Tom loves fruit cake...he is the only person I've ever met who likes the stuff. We found some on the Kansas City Plaza that is made by monks and I was going to buy it for him until I saw the price. :eek:

Tom loves fruit cake...he is the only person I've ever met who likes the stuff. We found some on the Kansas City Plaza that is made by monks and I was going to buy it for him until I saw the price. :eek:

You can add Phil to the fruitcake list.....meaning that he likes it not that he is one. Well he can be kind of a fruitcake sometimes......:yes:

Tom and Phil are an awful lot alike, Diana.....have you noticed that, too? :confused:

You realize that now I will have to go FIND a fruitcake to bring to Gaston's for Phil and Tom to share......:rolleyes:

You can add Phil to the fruitcake list.....meaning that he likes it not that he is one. Well he can be kind of a fruitcake sometimes......:yes:
:rofl:

Tom and Phil are an awful lot alike, Diana.....have you noticed that, too? :confused:
Yes, I have!

You realize that now I will have to go FIND a fruitcake to bring to Gaston's for Phil and Tom to share......:rolleyes:
Hahahaha. Tom would LOVE that. Maybe that could be my anniversary present to him this year...I don't know what else to get him. :dunno: Hey, I know where there is some VERY expensive fruit cake on the Plaza! :D Besides, you don't have enough to do right now. ;)

Hey, since Dave B. brought it up in the first place, maybe HE should bring the fruit cake! It's all his fault. :yes:

Cool! Lately I've had a hankering for Piesporter Michelsberg, but Riesling is good too (if it's from Germany).

I'll have to raid the wine cellar and see what I have, but I'll aim to bring a case or so, with some variety so that hopefully everyone is happy. Don't expect top dollar stuff, though... I tend to look for things that receive high marks at a more reasonable price, and the occasional "Hmm, I wonder what this tastes like..." Sometimes it turns out well, other times even the wild animals by my house reject it. :)

:D

I'll have to raid the wine cellar and see what I have, but I'll aim to bring a case or so, with some variety so that hopefully everyone is happy. Don't expect top dollar stuff, though... I tend to look for things that receive high marks at a more reasonable price, and the occasional "Hmm, I wonder what this tastes like..." Sometimes it turns out well, other times even the wild animals by my house reject it. :)

:D

Anybody can buy a good $25 bottle of wine. Now to find a good $8 bottle?, That takes some skill...

Hmmm what to bring from WI....Beer, Cheese, Sausage????

I was going to brew up some beer, but I never got around to it, so I'll have to bring a case of something local. I was thinking some New Glarus and local Brats would be good.

Pete

Hmmm what to bring from WI....Beer, Cheese, Sausage????

I was going to brew up some beer, but I never got around to it, so I'll have to bring a case of something local. I was thinking some New Glarus and local Brats would be good.

Pete

Parker Brats from Karl Meat Market in Menomonee Falls!!

His brats are award winning!

Anybody can buy a good $25 bottle of wine. Now to find a good $8 bottle?, That takes some skill...

It takes some skill and also a willingness to subject your taste buds to some potentially awful stuff in the search for good stuff, the awful stuff then getting recycled to the deer, rabbits, and groundhogs that roam around my property. :)

I'll try to minimize experimentation on the group. ;)

I was thinking the Brats at the local market by me in Madison would be good. Their Blue Cheese Brats, and Italian Sausage are phenomenal.

P.S. No Ketchup! :D

Lance, is Sue bringing her yummy hors d'oeuvres?
Yes, she will.:yes: Let's plan for that pre-dinner Saturday night.
Like Diana we will generally eat in the restaurant. However, we'll chip in for grilling one night. I think Brent has said he will be doing that.

I was thinking the Brats at the local market by me in Madison would be good. Their Blue Cheese Brats, and Italian Sausage are phenomenal.

P.S. No Ketchup! :D
Blue Cheese brats?? Interesting. I am not a blue fan per say, but I have recently discovered milder creamier blues that I am liking a lot.

But... Ketchup is GREAT on french fries and hot dogs...!

While we are talking condiments.....A few years ago when I did RAGBRAI the last time I was in a group with the "Mustard Prince" of Chicago. We had the heir to the Plochman mustard fortune in out group. Some of the experimental mustard he shared were fantastic :)

No need for sour tomato puree.....

Are there grills available at Gaston's? I'm sure my dad would love to help cook burgers and brats. (he's a really good griller!)

I love fruit cake, good thing is I never have to worry about sharing :rofl: . You want wine :wineglass:, Tom and Phil want fruitcake, :blueplane: plane wants gas. Holy cow, I'm not sure I'll have enough $$$ to fly home. :rolleyes:. Thank goodness it's not Christmas season. I can never find fruitcake this time of year. :D

mikes brats were great last year.

kevin wasn't there a grill there along the flight line? i think i have a picture of brent and nick grilling on it last year.

Yes, there was a grill on the flight line however I don't recall who brought it with them.

I'll make a few pounds of venison jerky if there is interest.

Gaston's will provide one too.

All cabins have grills, some of which are permanently-mounted, others of which are portables.

Last year, the grill on the line was the one from my cabin, and I just rolled it on up.

I plan to provide pizza for early arrivals at our cabin Thursday night. Your quest will be to find our cabin... ;)

Also, we should have some Southern Pecan in the fridge, too, in addition, along with the pizza, as another refreshement besides pizza, and included with the pizza.

http://www.lazymagnolia.com/SouthernPecan.html

mikes brats were great last year.

They're Polish Keilbasa!

I just asked the Polish neighbor who sold me the tractor where we can get the stuff out here. He gave me the scoop. I'll bring some again.

Back