Gaston's 2008 food thread

Man, my mouth is watering. I absolutely destroyed my thumb by burning it on the grease of the Keilbasa last year, but it was totally worth it to BBQ for y'all (Brent did it too, I think).

All cabins have grills, some of which are permanently-mounted, others of which are portables.

Bill and I are sharing a cabin close to the flight line. Sooo..I will bring ours if its portable. If not I will sneak around and steal a neighboring one :D

They're Polish Keilbasa!

I just asked the Polish neighbor who sold me the tractor where we can get the stuff out here. He gave me the scoop. I'll bring some again.

Awesome! :yes: My tummy and maybe Nicks thumb will be ready for another dose.

I plan to provide pizza for early arrivals at our cabin Thursday night. Your quest will be to find our cabin... ;)

Also, we should have some Southern Pecan in the fridge, too, in addition, along with the pizza, as another refreshement besides pizza, and included with the pizza.

http://www.lazymagnolia.com/SouthernPecan.html

Oh, that sounds like something I'd like to try! I'll definitely hunt down your cabin...

I plan to provide pizza for early arrivals at our cabin Thursday night. Your quest will be to find our cabin... ;)

Also, we should have some Southern Pecan in the fridge, too, in addition, along with the pizza, as another refreshement besides pizza, and included with the pizza.

http://www.lazymagnolia.com/SouthernPecan.html

Pralines and Cream: Southern Pecan with Guinness layered on top.
Sounds good!

All cabins have grills, some of which are permanently-mounted, others of which are portables.

Last year, the grill on the line was the one from my cabin, and I just rolled it on up.

I just talked with Logan at Gaston's and he said they will bring us a portable Weber grill to the flight line if we want. I also requested extra chairs, ice and a container for the ice at the flight line.

I just talked with Logan at Gaston's and he said they will bring us a portable Weber grill to the flight line if we want. I also requested extra chairs, ice and a container for the ice at the flight line.

You're the Woman Diana!

I was thinking the Brats at the local market by me in Madison would be good. Their Blue Cheese Brats, and Italian Sausage are phenomenal.

P.S. No Ketchup! :D

Pete,

I think we'll have to show folks what REAL brats are all about.

Local Market = Brennan's?

I dunno about Bleu Cheese brats, that just violates some law of nature. However, I think we do need to parboil a bunch of 'em in some good brew (maybe even something a bit dark), and serve with onions and kraut.

Mine will also be covered with ketchup and cheap yellow mustard. :D

Kent, I live across from the Jennifer Street Market, and me and Mike will flog you for putting Ketchup on good brats....

I think we do need to parboil a bunch of 'em in some good brew (maybe even something a bit dark), and serve with onions and kraut.

Mine will also be covered with ketchup and cheap yellow mustard. :D
I predict a good ol' case of Arkansas indigestion coming on. What we need is some of Tony's Boone's Farm wine to top it off.;)

I predict a good ol' case of Arkansas indigestion coming on. What we need is some of Tony's Boone's Farm wine to top it off.;)

wisconsin brats and boones farm, what a combination!

How are we doing the grilled onions? Pre-made foil packets with onions & butter, or is somebody bringing a skillet? I can bring a bunch of pre-sliced onions.

Ok, who's bringing the "road kill" ???:dunno:
Sky kill

bird-v-plane.jpg

Brats get raw onions, not grilled. :yes:
That's one way. I usually bar-boil them in beer & onions before finishing them on the grill, and use those onions, some kraut and stone-ground mustard, though sometimes standard yellow mustard. No ketchup, though! :)

That's one way.

Yeah, the right way. ;)

I usually bar-boil them in beer & onions before finishing them on the grill,

Usually??? :eek: THAT is the ONLY way! :yes:

and use those onions

I toss everything but the brats from the par-boiling process - There's just so much fat in it by the time you're done that they can be kind of icky. They sure smell good though. :)

The funny thing is, by par-boiling in beer, you get rid of a bunch of fat from the brats and thus make them healthier. Eat up! :D :yes:

I live next door to Little Debbie and she makes GREAT snacks!:yes: This year I will bring an assorted selection of LD snacks. Are there any special requests?

www.LittleDebbie.com

However, I think we do need to parboil a bunch of 'em in some good brew

LEINIE'S!!!!!

Man, I really wish I was going.

Diana, next year, I promise I'll cook you something on the grill. I have a great book called "Grilling with Beer" - has all kinds of great grill recipes that involve different craft beers (i.e. - none of that mass-produced swill you see on TV all the time).

I'll bring some homemade Banana Nut bread.

Anything else I can bring?

Allan

Full case of wine, present and accounted for! :yes:

I'll bring some homemade Banana Nut bread.

Anything else I can bring?

Allan
I hope you're bringing enough for everyone. :D We just love Banana Nut Bread! All we need now is your cottage number. :D

OK, I got the Taste of Chicago.

From the northwest side:
Milwaukee Avenue Kurkowsi's Smoked Polish Keilbasa
Harlem Avenue - Riviera Fresh Italian Sausage
Maurice Lennell cookies

and... :cheers:
Sam Adam Summer Lager
and DOS XX dark

I guess I shouldda got some Vienna hot dogs but that's a different neighborhood.

The bad news is the van went through intermittent sessions flashing the "Service Engine Soon" light and losing power and that started getting more frequent and I couldn't arrange for a mechanic to look into it, so I'm renting a full size car. :( That means I'm limited to bringing 4 chairs.

OK, I got the Taste of Chicago:

{
From the northwest side:
{
Milwaukee Avenue Kurkowsi's Smoked Polish Keilbasa
Harlem Avenue - Riviera Fresh Italian Sausage
Maurice Lennell cookies

}
}

and...
Sam Adam Summer Lager
and DOS XX dark

Better? Do I work with you?

I had thoughts of bringing 312 beer and/or Goose Island but ....

Last edited:
Well for the true Chicago Experience you should be bringing Old Style anyway, Mike.

I picked up 6 bottles of wine today. I have OJ, some tequila, and Grand Marnier for margaritas. I'll try to get foodstuffs, but I haven't had time yet, so that may require a trip in AR.

I wish I had a spot on my bike to throw some Coors Light. That would be phenominal :D

dont worry nick, im bringing a case of Michelob Golden Light, and its way better than Coors anyway.

Anybody bringing Jager? What about Redbull? I would but I won't be able to get it pass security at RDU.

Is there an adult beverage store close? I've brought my own the last couple years but we are right at gross weight and can't afford the weight.

Back