Gastons 2007

etsisk said:
Of course, my chicken-hearted self might need someone to help me get into Gastons, but hell, I don't care! :)
There are plenty of CFIs or experienced pilots who'd be happy to meet you at either FLP (Flippin) or BPK (Mountain Home) and "assist" with your approach to 3m0. Once you get lined up with the runway and thread the gap in the trees (it's wider than it looks and I'm told the gap will be wider this year) the landing is easy and the runway is plenty long for most singles. Bruce and I have taken our twins in and out several times without problems (although we both used short field techniques and were planning to ditch in the river if an engine quit), just to give you some perspective. The bigger issue is whether the runway is soggy or not. The first year, many of us elected to land at BPK and ride the Gaston's van because the runway was rather soft from recent rain.

Dean said:
Store is about 5 milles away and you can use one of Gaston's Vans. There is talk of doing a BBQ at one of the cabins on Friday and Saturday. Food is $$$$$$$$$$ and over rated. Sunday brunch is the best, save you money and do it, thats a must. Hope to see you there!

Sounds good to me :D Really looking forward to it!

Tom and anyone else: Im one of the willing CFIs to fly in to gastons with you from nearby paved airports. I *think* Ed Guthrie is another. Come join us!

If I go, I will fly with some wusses. :)

Steve said:
Let's not talk about the scoring, ok....:rofl:
Scoring, huh? ah - I'll practice my radio calls...

"hey, y'all!! Look behind you!! Elephants!!!" :D :D

EVERYbody likes to look at elephants! :)

tonycondon said:
Tom and anyone else: Im one of the willing CFIs to fly in to gastons with you from nearby paved airports. I *think* Ed Guthrie is another. Come join us!

Me too. :) Provided I don't have anything come up that I can't make it this year.

etsisk said:
Scoring, huh? ah - I'll practice my radio calls...

"hey, y'all!! Look behind you!! Elephants!!!" :D :D

EVERYbody likes to look at elephants! :)
The trick is to touch so far down the runway that you're in the depression just below where the judges can really see you......
tonyCondon said:
And I'd be happy to help, too.

bbchien said:
The trick is to touch so far down the runway that you're in the depression just below where the judges can really see you......And I'd be happy to help, too.
Did I see in one of the videos that one of the judging signs is a '?' ? If so, what do I win if everyone votes ? :confused:

:D

bbchien said:
The trick is to touch so far down the runway that you're in the depression just below where the judges can really see you......And I'd be happy to help, too.

Im pretty sure this is what jesse did last year. probably the only reason he is always doing short field landing practice, so that he couldnt get judged at gastons. alterior motives...

Greg Bockelman said:
Me too. :) Provided I don't have anything come up that I can't make it this year.

Whoa. Wait a minute. The absolute best airplane in the world might not be there? Say it isn't true. If I can't gaze at a C195 sitting on a morning dew laden grass field there is no reason to travel 800+ nm. None at all.

tonycondon said:
Im pretty sure this is what jesse did last year. probably the only reason he is always doing short field landing practice, so that he couldnt get judged at gastons. alterior motives...

Busted. I aimed/touched down at the point where the grass rose up and leveled off each time. I do recall someone saying over CTAF on our arrival there that "you know this runway is 3,000 ft right?"

yea that was spike i think. he was hoping to make fun of you. that is what spike does i think. :)

Who knows who set up the Gastons Flyin site? I tried to sign up but the email did not have the link in it to activate my account. I need someones help.

Chip set it up, Dean, hopefully he'll see this post.

That may be difficult to avoid if he gets assigned to many more locations! Who knows, I see a different one every time I log on :yes:

Now Dave, that's a bit of a stretch. Wait...Philly, Denver, Lexington and I have a home in all three! Fricking real estate market! Darn overbuilding developers and the banks that lend them the money! :D Just kidding, they're all investments. :rolleyes:

Anyway Gaston's is pretty much equidistant from either Denver or Lexington, making me ambivelent as to attend or not. :rofl:

Back