Gastons 2007

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I was just browsing the Gastons wiki Mike set up, and noticed it had not changed since some time in August.

So....who's getting excited? I have every intention of going (but things in my life are going to be changing pretty soon....no details), but I can't wait. Piper's getting big, but I'm sure he's looking forward to it. It was, by far, the most exciting weekend of his life so far, that much I'm sure of.

I really need to make plans to come this year... sounds like fun.

Adam, are you going? Flight of two?

Missa

Hi Nick,
My reservations were made already, I'll be there. I'm not sure if Piper's big friend, my son's Lab, will be there.

I love that pic of your son's Lab playing with Piper, taken exactly at the point where it looks like the Lab has him by the throat trying to kill him....good stuff.

img_0159_mid.jpg

I'm there! Reservations confirmed!!!:yes:

But I haven't figured out how to add anything to the wiki.

Kaye

Jill are you coming? It would be great to have you! You learned to fly at Green Castle right? I am in the club there, did a lot of flying over there last summer.

tonycondon said:
Jill are you coming? It would be great to have you! You learned to fly at Green Castle right? I am in the club there, did a lot of flying over there last summer.

And I landed there and had a steak a few weeks ago! :D

-Chris

Hi Tony--
You may have me confused with another Jill--I learned to fly at Frederick. But yes, I'd love to come. : )

555Juliet said:
Hi Tony--
But yes, I'd love to come. : )

Sorry for the confusion, and look forward to seeing you in June!

The more Jills, the better.

555Juliet said:
Kaye, are you bringing your husband?

Well......if I was a bettin' woman, I'd bet against. When I returned this year, he was all excited and wanted to go next year. He's now waffling.

Anyway, I reserved a 2 bedroom cottage, so if he comes, it works, and if he doesn't it still works. Why.....you needing a place to stay?:yes:

Kaye

We have our reservation and received the confirmation in the mail a couple months ago. Can't wait to get there and enjoy the conversation!

Kaye said:
Well......if I was a bettin' woman, I'd bet against. When I returned this year, he was all excited and wanted to go next year. He's now waffling.

Anyway, I reserved a 2 bedroom cottage, so if he comes, it works, and if he doesn't it still works. Why.....you needing a place to stay?:yes:

Kaye

I was hoping to snag a seat (and spring for some fuel). Getting there is the challenge, as always. :D

555Juliet said:
I was hoping to snag a seat (and spring for some fuel). Getting there is the challenge, as always. :D

I'm intrested in going, but not going it alone. I don't have a place to stay yet or any firm plans... but I could be talked into it.

The only other snag will be getting permission from the club to land on grass.

Missa

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

N2212R said:
Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

And even easier to get kicked out of the club for failure to follow the published rules!

Since I can't find another club in the area (or the country) with a compareable rental rate, I think I won't break the rules.

Missa

Missa said:
I'm intrested in going, but not going it alone. I don't have a place to stay yet or any firm plans... but I could be talked into it.

Missa

Mt Home is close by (I used it this year) and Gaston's will pick you up if you can't land on the grass.

Kaye

555Juliet said:

Well, that could work......but you'll need more days off than just Gaston's as I'll be cruising around for some extra days. Haven't decided where all I'm going yet, but I do plan to be gone for 10 days.

Missa said:
And even easier to get kicked out of the club for failure to follow the published rules!

Since I can't find another club in the area (or the country) with a compareable rental rate, I think I won't break the rules.

Missa

So you land somewhere else, inspect for any grass in the gear, and the club is none the wiser - except that Steve will have a picture of the plane. Reason number 4,639 to own.

N2212R said:
So you land somewhere else, inspect for any grass in the gear, and the club is none the wiser - except that Steve will have a picture of the plane. Reason number 4,639 to own.

You're off by an order of magnitude, at least 46,390 reasons to own (to get a starter VFR bird)

N2212R said:

I can't afford to own, for me... it's SOOOOOOOO much cheeper to rent! Just do the math. :) + it's rare I find I can't get a plane because they are both booked. (and usually I can scam a ride from whomever has the plane). And since it's the club members that make the rules... I just have to get the rules changes. Untill then no night flight untill I get my IR and no grass till I get the rule changed. On the bright side I found an instructor looking for IR students so it looks like I'm going to restart that!

The only thing that makes me tempted to buy a plane is to buy one that can do things the club planes can't. Soooo tempted to buy a Citabra or Decath... specially one with a high time engine. :)

Missa

Missa said:
The only thing that makes me tempted to buy a plane is to buy one that can do things the club planes can't.
Missa

exactly why i bought my glider. 1 hr limit on club gliders on the weekends which is the only time i would be flying. plus i would have to put a lot of work into the trailers to make it possible to take them cross country, might as well spend the money on my own glider.

Missa said:
Soooo tempted to buy a Citabra or Decath... specially one with a high time engine. :)

Do you get deals on overhauls/remans/factory new engines? That's pretty cool if you do.

Let's talk.

You will be able to sleep in a bed at Gaston's. Always one or two rooms have an extra during the fly-in. In fact, some of the cabins have several beds in separate bedrooms and a large couch in front of the fireplace overlooking the river (don't think we'll need to light your fire during the fly-in).

Also, if you can only make it as far as Mountain Home, AR with its paved 5001' x 75' runway, not Mountain Home AFB in Idaho with its paved 13,500' x 200' runway where they park large multi-engine military aircraft, we could easily arrange for a foreign ex-military single engine aircraft to provide shuttle service to make the last 3 nm of the trip should the lesser, more mundane domestic craft in attendance be previously engaged.

We must caution you, however, people have been known to buy airplanes after having attended this event.

Missa said:

Missa

Steve said:
We must caution you, however, people have been known to buy airplanes after having attended this event.

*sigh* Still waffling.

Kaye said:
Well, that could work......but you'll need more days off than just Gaston's as I'll be cruising around for some extra days. Haven't decided where all I'm going yet, but I do plan to be gone for 10 days.

Which is what you did this year (visiting your sis, I believe). Maybe I could commercial it back home :( or snag a ride back with Missa! :redface: Anyway, let's keep in touch about it.

555Juliet said:
Which is what you did this year (visiting your sis, I believe). Maybe I could commercial it back home :( or snag a ride back with Missa! :redface: Anyway, let's keep in touch about it.

I could give you a ride as far east as Chattanooga. Maybe ApacheBob could put together a chain to get you the rest of the way home. Then you could write a nice article about that and Gastons for AOPA.

Sounds like a plan coming toghether:D :D :D

555Juliet said:

This year will be a reverse. I plan to do the extra days before Gastons, so you'd have a ride back home. I like Bill's plan in making it an adventure and writing it up in AOPA. :yes:

:D You guys are always trying to give me work! :D

OK, I'll start thinking in reverse. Maybe get myself out to Chattanooga and ride from there with Bill. Bill, aren't you bringing your fambly?

555Juliet said:
:D You guys are always trying to give me work! :D

OK, I'll start thinking in reverse. Maybe get myself out to Chattanooga and ride from there with Bill. Bill, aren't you bringing your fambly?

And I thought the middle of PA would be closer... Sniffel unless you just think I suck as a pilot... sniffel.:rolleyes:

Missa

555Juliet said:
Bill, aren't you bringing your fambly?

I try every year, but the ideal of sitting around all weekend and talking/flying airplanes doesn't rank high on her excitement meter. So, there will be room. Even if they do come, I have the 182 this year. I'd have to do quick W&B, but I'd think we all could go if I don't tank all 87 gallons.

Bill Jennings said:
I try every year, but the ideal of sitting around all weekend and talking/flying airplanes doesn't rank high on her excitement meter.

Yep, that also tends to be a problem on my side of the fence. At least the hubby isn't nervous about flying.......he's been an on again, off again student for the last 30 years (currently in off mode).

Back