Gasp! End of the magenta line???????

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Seattle Avionics has released a new and free app to the iPhone that does not use the magenta line for navigation!!!!!!! FlyQ Insight is what it is called and is the right price for pilots. FREEE!! No relation to said company by the way.

It uses augmented reality. Check out the video. Saw this on AOPA This Week last week.

Pretty cool. Seems like everything is turning toward augmented reality, so it doesn't surprise me that it's spilling into aviation products.

And now I need to get a fruit phone to get this thing working

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If it's free then why do I need to create an account to use it? I absolutely hate that.

I played with it on my flight home yesterday. It was fun trying to spot the airports it was pointing out, but I was too high for it to be of any use. Maybe next time I'll spend more than two minutes with it.

What to you have to do, turn the camera on and hold it up to the window?

Well, so far it isn't available for a Goggle phone, so yea.
There arent any immidiet plans from what i can tell as well

What to you have to do, turn the camera on and hold it up to the window?
I am pretty sure its thru their app, which will need access to your camera

I get that they need access to my camera. I just don't see how holding my phone up to the window is any better than looking at my ForeFlight screen and seeing it on a map.

I get that they need access to my camera. I just don't see how holding my phone up to the window is any better than looking at my ForeFlight screen and seeing it on a map.

If I have to turn on the camera and keep it running, I doubt my iPhone battery is going to make it through many of my typical flights.

Does it really use the camera? I have an app that I think is pretty similar that points out satellites in the sky to aid in pointing a dish network dish. I don't see how the camera would help at all. It uses gps location (lat / long) combined with the pitch and tilt of the phone (similar the the AHRS app function).

The more I think about it there's no way it uses the camera. I mean seriously... WTH would it be looking for?

It is using the camera to display the image of what's ahead of you and then overlaying the gps/tilt based icons on top of that image I'd imagine.

Does it really use the camera? I have an app that I think is pretty similar that points out satellites in the sky to aid in pointing a dish network dish. I don't see how the camera would help at all. It uses gps location (lat / long) combined with the pitch and tilt of the phone (similar the the AHRS app function).

The more I think about it there's no way it uses the camera. I mean seriously... WTH would it be looking for?

If it's not using the camera how is it creating the view out the window and tracking that side to side?

Seems to be using the GPS, gyroscope and the camera in the iPhone to make this work.
Looks like an aerial version of Pokemon Go to me...

In a nutshell the app uses your GPS to figure out your location and track. You calibrate the compass so the app knows where the phone is pointing. Once it has all that, the app knows where everything is. By using the camera, it will point out airports along the way so you can compare what's showing up on the camera with what you see out the window. In a nutshell, it can help you find that elusive airport in the haze.

Just wait until iOS11 and the new iPhone come out this fall, the augmented reality stuff that's coming is super exciting. I hope the developers really take advantage of it.

Will it point out the traffic you're about to hit because of yet another device that diverts the pilot's attention away from looking outside? :devil:

I played with it on my flight home yesterday. It was fun trying to spot the airports it was pointing out, but I was too high for it to be of any use. Maybe next time I'll spend more than two minutes with it.
You probably shouldn't fly when you're high.

If it's not using the camera how is it creating the view out the window and tracking that side to side?

Seems to be using the GPS, gyroscope and the camera in the iPhone to make this work.
Looks like an aerial version of Pokemon Go to me...
Lol. Good point. I was only thinking of the camera function to find position.

What does it project on to? HUD displays use a specialized glass. I saw a guy once project a HUD display on the spinning prop, actually kinda cool, but used a LOT of power.

Weird to think we are a few short years from people in my age range telling the new kids:

"You are spoiled with this crap and any pilot worth his salt should have the skills to keep the plane on the line without needing all these virtual sky beacons."

My time is coming.

Weird to think we are a few short years from people in my age range telling the new kids:

"You are spoiled with this crap and any pilot worth his salt should have the skills to keep the plane on the line without needing all these virtual sky beacons."

My time is coming.

Back in my day we have to follow a magenta line on a display in the panel and we were GRATEFUL!

Back in my day the displays were monochrome, and the line was the same color as everything else on the screen. You youngsters today have it soooo easy.

A real pilot should be able to get anywhere using only a mortar and pestle, and a watch with only a functioning hour hand.

Have any of you used the AR portion of the Flightradar24 app? This looks like it'll do sort of the same thing, but with airports instead of airplanes. Neat for now, but I'm sure someone will come up with a much more useful version in 5-10 years.

A real pilot should be able to get anywhere using only a mortar and pestle, and a watch with only a functioning hour hand.

You kids and your modern technology! You should be able to get anywhere just using a divining rod.

Back in my day, you had to make a magenta line by mixing blue and red crayons together.
I don't think that would work. Mixing pigments is subtractive color mixing, not additive.

I don't think that would work. Mixing pigments is subtractive color mixing, not additive.
I learned something new today about CMYK and RYB subtractive color models.

From Wikipedia:
RYB (an abbreviation of redyellowblue) is a historical set of colors used in subtractive color mixing and is one commonly used set of primary colors. It is primarily used in art and design education, particularly painting.

RYB predates modern scientific color theory, which has determined that cyan, magenta, and yellow are the best set of three colorants to combine, for the widest range of high-chroma colors.[1]

So it is entirely possible that he used red and blue crayons. :D

I learned something new today about CMYK and RYB subtractive color models.

From Wikipedia:
RYB (an abbreviation of redyellowblue) is a historical set of colors used in subtractive color mixing and is one commonly used set of primary colors. It is primarily used in art and design education, particularly painting.

RYB predates modern scientific color theory, which has determined that cyan, magenta, and yellow are the best set of three colorants to combine, for the widest range of high-chroma colors.[1]

So it is entirely possible that he used red and blue crayons. :D
Little Johnny ate the red crayon so we didn't have a magenta line...

What about us poor folks here that can only afford the Monochrome Line of Doom? Are we eligible for this upgrade???

What about us poor folks here that can only afford the Monochrome Line of Doom? Are we eligible for this upgrade???
Theoretically, there could be a magenta-colored monochrome screen. ;)

What if the watch only has an hour finger, not a whole hand?

Back