Garmin Pilot vs ForeFlight

Garmin's repair center gave me the bird and told me to buy another new unit.

Yeah, they did that to me too, after their own OTA firmware update bricked my GDL-50. "Over 1 year old, out of warranty, buy a new one."

After that I ditched GP just on GP, and switched to iFly. Really like it, but don't really like that it has frozen up in the air several times, including once in a fairly stressful circumstance when I really needed it to work. It has NEVER frozen on the ground, only in the air. Since that is a pretty lousy attribute for an aviation product, I will probably switch again when my subscription renews this summer.

I have used FF and GP, but my favorite is Avare. True, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it is simple and crisp. It is just a map and your plane icon, and it doesn't talk to you.

Does Avare work with Stratux, and does it show traffic?

I think that's an iOS changelog, not Android. Does anyone have confirmation that Stratux works on the Android Garmin Pilot app yet?
I apologize....you're correct. That popped up in a FB group a couple days ago and I assumed it was for Android as iOS has had Stratus support since January.

I noticed my iPad overheats more easily above 15,000.
I’ve heard that the iPad Mini 6th Generation (2021, the current one) has improved with respect to the overheating issue.:fcross:

I’m a bit partial to ForeFlight. ;)

If I’m not mistaken, GP is only allowed to run on two devices, whereas FF allows for running on 2 iPads and 1 iPhone, or 2 iPhones and 1 iPad (simultaneously).

It works really well with my Sentry receiver, too, which allows for 5 connections.

upload_2022-3-26_11-41-59.jpeg

GP allows for 3 devices. I have it on two iPads and an iPhone.
Ah-ha. Sporty's has it wrong, then. On their website, it still says two devices. It's in the last paragraph of the "Features include" section.

cmyTMfN.png

Last edited:
I have 2 iPads and an android phone running GP off one account.

This question is like asking which truck brand is better, Dodge? Chevy? Ford? It does the job and at the end, its more of your personal preference. However, some Part 135 jobs require you to use GP or FF only because (whatever reason they say). So try both and pick the one YOU most like.

GP allows for 3 devices. I have it on two iPads and an iPhone.

Same here for GP, I have it installed and running on ipadAir2, mini 4 and android version on a Samsung Tab A

Back