Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Do anyone know if you can get Pilot to show you what heading you should have given the winds at altitude for a given course? Just got it, still learning the system.

Not on the GP Android. You can use any of the many free Android Apps for that.

Do anyone know if you can get Pilot to show you what heading you should have given the winds at altitude for a given course? Just got it, still learning the system.

Not on the GP Android. You can use any of the many free Android Apps for that.

Looks like:

Trip Planning (plan the trip)
Summary tab - will display your Direct Mag Course
Flight Plan tab - will display your MH compensated for winds aloft (at least I think it does, when I change planned altitudes, the MH value changes)

Note: In the Flight Plan tab, if you don't see a column for MH, click on one of the existing column headings and select MH from the drop down menu.

You might need open the Briefing tab and get a briefing so it can download the current winds aloft forecast.

No GPS will give you a "heading." (Unless it is combined with an air data computer, which VERY few light aircraft have) "Heading" is not in the GPS lexicon.

They will show you "desired track," and "actual track." It is up to your brain or an autopilot to keep the two together on the magenta brick road.

Last edited:
Looks like:

Trip Planning (plan the trip)
Summary tab - will display your Direct Mag Course
Flight Plan tab - will display your MH compensated for winds aloft (at least I think it does, when I change planned altitudes, the MH value changes)

Note: In the Flight Plan tab, if you don't see a column for MH, click on one of the existing column headings and select MH from the drop down menu.

You might need open the Briefing tab and get a briefing so it can download the current winds aloft forecast.

I stand corrected. That "MH" column does give you the effective wind correction angle for the leg. Thanks!

No GPS will give you a "heading." (Unless it is combined with an air data computer, which VERY few light aircraft have) "Heading" is not in the GPS lexicon.

They will show you "desired track," and "actual track." It is up to your brain or an autopilot to keep the two together on the magenta brick road.

I think that's incorrect. At least in the GP Android, as Matthew pointed out above, the "MH" column will give you the approximate heading for the leg, based on the latest winds.

Has anybody seen this where the SafeTaxi diagrams fail to render properly? I can't figure this one out. Deleted and reloaded safetaxi database... deleted all data and started over. Nothing. I got it to work properly a grand total of once and that was it.

Last edited:
Has anybody seen this where the SafeTaxi diagrams fail to render properly? I can't figure this one out. Deleted and reloaded safetaxi database... deleted all data and started over. Nothing. I got it to work properly a grand total of once and that was it.

Just tried it and KGLS safetaxi seems fine here (N7 2013, Android 5.1).

I figure it's just me.. just no idea why. This is a brand new N9 running 5.0.1.

I've had "partial paint" issues in the past that seemed to be related to the Android version. I'd try to update to 5.1 and see if it helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-39-36[1].png
    Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-39-36[1].png
    253.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-40-27[1].png
    Screenshot_2015-04-29-17-40-27[1].png
    331 KB · Views: 8
They've yet to release 5.1 for the N9, so I'm hoping it'll come out soon, then.

Sometimes zoom in and then back out will get the chart to repaint. PITA but better than no data.

'Gimp

Is there a way to bring up the NY TAC on Pilot? I haven't been able to figure it out...

Is there a way to bring up the NY TAC on Pilot? I haven't been able to figure it out...

The Sectional/TAC mode automatically (and fairly seamlessly) selects TAC where available.

Is there a way to view it beforehand?
Set Sectionals/TAC as basemap in the Map/Charts menu, pick a point-of-interest or airport in the area, and then zoom in, you will see a change from the Sectional level of detail to the TAC level of detail.

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 it seems to be a zoom level that shows 2nm as the scale factor in the lower left corner.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Set Sectionals/TAC as basemap in the Map/Charts menu, pick a point-of-interest or airport in the area, and then zoom in, you will see a change from the Sectional level of detail to the TAC level of detail.

On my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 it seems to be a zoom level that shows 2nm as the scale factor in the lower left corner.

'Gimp

Doesn't seem to do that for me on Nexus 7 tablet. I'll order the paper chart...

Next question... Is there a way to quickly find the approad/departure frequencies for an area? Say I'm taking off from an uncontrolled airport, what's the quickest way with this app to find the frequency for the controlling center for FF?

Next question... Is there a way to quickly find the approad/departure frequencies for an area? Say I'm taking off from an uncontrolled airport, what's the quickest way with this app to find the frequency for the controlling center for FF?
I have an N7.

What are you seeing when you do this?

A checkerboard pattern means you are not conected to the web and do not have a local copy of the chart down loaded.

A chart other than the sectional/tac means the display settings need to be changed.

As far as finding center freqs: touch on the airport to pop up an info ring. Touch on the airport symbol on that ring to bring up general airport info. Scroll to the bottom and touch on "More information". Finally, touch the A/FD button and see what freqs are listed. Maybe someone has a quicker method.

Any info you want to access in flight must be downloaded so a local copy is available.

Touch the airport. Touch the airport icon that pops up in the circle. Go to frequencies. You might have to scroll down a bit, but it's there.

It's a great feature.

I think that's incorrect. At least in the GP Android, as Matthew pointed out above, the "MH" column will give you the approximate heading for the leg, based on the latest winds.

GP will give a MH, but it is an calculated guess. It is functioning exactly like an E6B in this column.

And, exactly like an E6B, it has NO IDEA of your actual heading.

Last edited:
I have an N7.

What are you seeing when you do this?

A checkerboard pattern means you are not conected to the web and do not have a local copy of the chart down loaded.

A chart other than the sectional/tac means the display settings need to be changed.

As far as finding center freqs: touch on the airport to pop up an info ring. Touch on the airport symbol on that ring to bring up general airport info. Scroll to the bottom and touch on "More information". Finally, touch the A/FD button and see what freqs are listed. Maybe someone has a quicker method.

Any info you want to access in flight must be downloaded so a local copy is available.

It just zooms in closer to the sectional. No chart differences based on zoom level.

Freq: I understand how to get them for a specific airport. If I select an uncontrolled airport, there is no approach/departure frequency listed. So, taking off from one of those airports, how can you quickly find the frequency for FF in the area? With paper, I just look for the nearest class B/C and find their approach/departure frequency and use that. Same things with this app?

GP will give a MH, but it is an calculateed guess. It is functioning exactly like an E6B in this column.

And, exactly like an E6B, it has NO IDEA of your actual heading.

Then that's exactly what I'm looking for. An estimation of a heading based on the winds at altitude for the course I want.

It just zooms in closer to the sectional. No chart differences based on zoom level.

Freq: I understand how to get them for a specific airport. If I select an uncontrolled airport, there is no approach/departure frequency listed. So, taking off from one of those airports, how can you quickly find the frequency for FF in the area? With paper, I just look for the nearest class B/C and find their approach/departure frequency and use that. Same things with this app?

1) I'll check on the charts in a couple hours, there has to be a quick check box for this.

2) The charts are copies of sectionals. If you see the freqs printed on the paper version, they'll be on the GP version. What I don't like about the e-version apps like this is the inability to unfold a paper cart across your lap and quickly scan a large area for printed info boxes.

Here is what you should see:

On the lower left of the map page is a button showing 3 overlapped pages. Click that and it will show your overlay settings. If you check WAC: At wide zoom levels the chart will display the WAC, then sectional, then TAC. If you check sectional/TAC, you will not get the WAC at wide zoom levels.

Attached are a couple of screen shots. I centered near Monmouth Exec because that is where the NY TAC and sectional overlap and it's easy to spot the transition.

Image 1 shows the sectional view, image 2 is zoomed in a little more and shows the TAC display. You can see the edge of the TAC where it meets the rest of the sectional.

I included a couple more shots so you can see the differences. Just north ofJFK is Baisley Pond, it shows on the TAC but not the sectional.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-04.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-04.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-20.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-20.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-34.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-34.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-46.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-30-08-53-46.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Yes, this happens to me all the time. To me it SEEMS like when I first start GP, say at home for flight planning, and check out the safe taxi chart, it works fine.

In flight, after flying for say 3 hours, collecting weather data via XM the whole time, etc. when I get to my unfamiliar destination, THAT's when the Safe Taxi is almost always blank, just like the images you posted.

Not sure if it's related to the length of time GP has been running (and/or memory usage storing all the weather data, track log, etc. during that time)? Or if it's just that I happen to notice it more after a flight to an unfamiliar airport when I really want the chart, and I just don't notice as much if I get the blank chart sitting on my couch at home?

It's gotten to the point where I don't even use SafeTaxi anymore. I just use the "Airport Diagram" pdf and give up the georeferencing. I wish they would just show your position on the FAA Airport Diagram chart like competing products do, since the Safe Taxi charts do not work well. (In fact, even when they do work, I would prefer the FAA charts - often the taxiway designators do not display and I have to zoom in/out a while to get everything to display on the SafeTaxi chart.)

Yes, this happens to me all the time. To me it SEEMS like when I first start GP, say at home for flight planning, and check out the safe taxi chart, it works fine.

In flight, after flying for say 3 hours, collecting weather data via XM the whole time, etc. when I get to my unfamiliar destination, THAT's when the Safe Taxi is almost always blank, just like the images you posted.

Not sure if it's related to the length of time GP has been running (and/or memory usage storing all the weather data, track log, etc. during that time)? Or if it's just that I happen to notice it more after a flight to an unfamiliar airport when I really want the chart, and I just don't notice as much if I get the blank chart sitting on my couch at home?

It's gotten to the point where I don't even use SafeTaxi anymore. I just use the "Airport Diagram" pdf and give up the georeferencing. I wish they would just show your position on the FAA Airport Diagram chart like competing products do, since the Safe Taxi charts do not work well. (In fact, even when they do work, I would prefer the FAA charts - often the taxiway designators do not display and I have to zoom in/out a while to get everything to display on the SafeTaxi chart.)

I used to occasionally get somewhat similar "partial paint" problems with older versions of both Android and GP (on N7 2013). But as of late, and definitely with the latest Android 5.1 and GP 4.2.3, things seem to have stabilized.
One of my pet peeves with the taxi charts is that they automatically pop up at a very tiny scale after landing, which immediately requires zooming to be useful, just when I am busy with more important things. I have found that leaving the "automatic safe taxi" option OFF in the main configuration page seems to work better, since the normal chart still has the taxi charts overlaid on it.
I also have problems getting "Aircraft Centered - Course UP" mode to work properly with taxi charts.
Still, all in all, I see definite improvements and a positive trend, which is encouraging, although a faster pace would sure be nice.

Cool, let us know if it seems to help.

FYI, the 5.0.2 update (still waiting for 5.1... grr) for the N9 just rolled out. I installed it, it didn't help... so I forced stopped the app and cleared the cache. After that, SafeTaxi is painting correctly. Thanks!

FYI, the 5.0.2 update (still waiting for 5.1... grr) for the N9 just rolled out. I installed it, it didn't help... so I forced stopped the app and cleared the cache. After that, SafeTaxi is painting correctly. Thanks!

And... 5.1.1 appears to have broken it again. Same fix as last time didn't work.

We've been having a new issue: No ADS-B radar depiction.

We've got traffic and weather, but no radar. Gonna try a complete reinstall.

I've been having the same issue for a few weeks, though I'm not sure when it first started. Clearing the app's cache did not help, so I did a complete reinstall yesterday afternoon, and that solved the problem. ADS-B radar is now working again.

That's the second time in as many years that I've had to reinstall Garmin Pilot to clear a problem. The first time was with a TFR that had expired but would not go away, and reinstalling was Garmin's final solution after a trying a couple of other things. This time I didn't contact Garmin first -- I just did the reinstall, though I will email them anyway to let them know about the issue.

Having to reinstall is a real pain. I have all charts and other files downloaded. It's easier than trying to decide what I might need before each flight, but it means a reinstall takes well over an hour.

Lee

Deletion/Reinstallation fixed everything. Radar is back.

Four clicks got my charts back. It took a while for them to download, but it's not like I was turning a crank, or anything...
:)

Deletion/Reinstallation fixed everything. Radar is back.

Glad that worked for you, too. It fixed the problem on both my Nexus 7 and my emergency backup Nexus 5. And with the weather we've been having in Texas lately, there are plenty of opportunities to test the radar! Not that I'm complaining, mind you; we need all the rain we can get around San Antonio.

Four clicks got my charts back. It took a while for them to download, but it's not like I was turning a crank, or anything...
:)
You're right; it really isn't that hard -- just start it and let it run. Honestly, the main reason I download everything is because it's just easier to hit that button instead of selecting individual things, though it is nice not to have to worry about whether or not I have a particular chart on board -- they are all there!

Still, I hope we don't see too many of these kinds of problems that fixable only through a reinstall. I'd hate to have to do that on the road. Right now, though, I'll bet the developers are spending most of their time trying to get the latest features out in time for Oshkosh.

Lee

Glad that worked for you, too. It fixed the problem on both my Nexus 7 and my emergency backup Nexus 5. And with the weather we've been having in Texas lately, there are plenty of opportunities to test the radar! Not that I'm complaining, mind you; we need all the rain we can get around San Antonio.

If I never saw another drop of rain, I would be happy.

They just declared our county (Nueces) a disaster area. Lake Corpus Christi (our main source of drinking water) once so alarmingly low, is now overflowing. We haven't been able to fly anywhere since last January, and we've only had six (6) fly-in hotel guests in all of 2015.

Six. To put that in perspective, we usually average more than that every week. With storms rolling through every 24 - 72 hours for the last five months, guys simply aren't going anywhere overnight. Hell, we are lucky to get an occasional pancake run in before the next line of storms hit.

We are about to build an ark. Everything is flooded, soaked, and waterlogged on the coast and islands.

If I never saw another drop of rain, I would be happy.

They just declared our county (Nueces) a disaster area. Lake Corpus Christi (our main source of drinking water) once so alarmingly low, is now overflowing. We haven't been able to fly anywhere since last January, and we've only had six (6) fly-in hotel guests in all of 2015.

Six. To put that in perspective, we usually average more than that every week. With storms rolling through every 24 - 72 hours for the last five months, guys simply aren't going anywhere overnight. Hell, we are lucky to get an occasional pancake run in before the next line of storms hit.

We are about to build an ark. Everything is flooded, soaked, and waterlogged on the coast and islands.

If it helps, I hope to fly down and spend a night with y'all at some point this summer!

If it helps, I hope to fly down and spend a night with y'all at some point this summer!

Thanks. It's not that we're not having a great year -- it's our best, yet! I can't complain about business at all.

What's missing are the fly-in guests, thanks to this wonderful weather. You know, the folks for whom I BUILT THIS FREAKING HOTEL TO USE?

Oh, I'm sorry -- did I shout? I'm just a LITTLE frustrated. :lol:

Still, this weekend I've got a Navion pilot, an Airbus pilot, and an ultralight pilot, as well as an avionics tech to hang out with. ALL OF THEM drove in, thanks to the unpredictability of this very wet weather pattern. :mad2:

My buddy and I just completed an 1100 nm trip with both our tablets BT'd to a GDL 39, and the experience with GP on the Droids was very unreliable. I am still getting bluetooth drops multiple times every time I fly. Some features on his tablet were missing on mine and vice versa. We're on the same version of GP and our firmware on the GDL is identical.

Overall we came away distinctly preferring our Garmin Aeras for their reliability. My 3 month trial subscription of GP is now ending, and I'm seriously thinking I need to ditch the tablet and get an iPad.

I did take the advice here to clear the cache on the device, something I had not previously done, and I'll see if that doesn't improve reliability.

Back