Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

OK... Not so sure about.."Trip Planning".. Seems like a better featured function. Now, I have saved 5 different "trips". I is there any way to use a trip Without filing a flight plan for it? Seems to me that this was not thought out too well. Also, do I HAVE to have an Active flight plan set, to use GP...? Is there a way to just track my "flight to nowhere"? Seems Fishy... They sure want us to hunt n search to find out all the functions.
CaptGary

They sure want us to hunt n search to find out all the functions.
You don't understand. Like every UI it is highly intuitive -- to the guy who designed it. With Garmin UI opaqueness is probably made worse by the fact that they do not do external beta testing, so the UI design process is highly incestuous.

My main gripe is the aggressive waste of screen space for things like unreadable thumbnails of plates and around the unnecessarily-small instruments on the "panel." This kind of thing looks wonderful on the developer's full-sized monitor and indoors with the tablet on his desk. It significantly compromises usability in the air, in a bright cockpit, however.

Re several comments about screen readability in bright cockpits: No active device using battery power is going to win a contest with the sun. I've had tablets in the cockpit off and on for 10+/- years while beta-testing for one of the former leaders in the Windows market. Things are slightly better than when I began with a Compaq TC1100 but in the end the sun always wins.

I am waiting anxiously for color e-ink/e-paper, passive reflective displays that use almost no power. These will bring cockpit readability much closer to the level of a paper chart. Unfortunately, these displays always seem to be "next year we'll be in production" items.

My biggest gripe on the trip planning is that lack of preferred routes like is found on ForeFlight. If you have a lengthy flight, it would be nice if it showed you a route you could modify (including selecting airways) instead of picking start/stop and adding it all yourself.

And my 496 has taken me from coast to coast, many times. That doesn't mean that I prefer it to the faster/bigger Nexus 7 screen.

Interesting comment about the brightness trouble under a canopy. Since we're actively looking for an RV-8A, that would be a killer for us. Something I had not considered.

I cranked it full bright and wasn't wearing sunglasses. Readable but not that good. Like the previous fellow said battery powered may not normally keep up but my old 396 sure does when I disconnect power and run on the battery, at least I think it did, has been wired to ship power most it's life.
I'd go to the 696 in a heartbeat if it wasn't tied to XM! Maybe Garmin will wake up and go ADS-B with it. Their profit margin has to be better?
Maybe the bean counters figured they make more in the long run selling yearly subscriptions than hardware....:dunno:

Aha, just reread an article in Kitplanes from Feb and it said the 696 takes ADS-B input from their GL39. Might be my answer.

Last edited:
When we find an RV-8A, I am planning to mount a Nexus 7 in the back hole, to provide basic flight and nav info.

If it can't be seen under a clear canopy, that's not going to work. I will have to try it in the direct sun.

More n More, I am seeing an App, that has what Garmin says / wants us to have & NOT what we are saying or suggesting... God forbid big Cos. would listen to us the end user.
So... IF I have it right, there is no real use to the "trip planning" function & no use to storing multiple trips.
Frustration again,..

Now I create a "Trip"... But it cannot be edit end' only used or deleted? Is the any way to edit anything at all in GP? Getting more frustrating by the min.

I opened a trip and edited it. What i couldn't figure out how to do was change the origin and destination.

you can't... See, the basic things , they look over. It's like this app is for them... & they never have to take it into a real cockpit & use it on a real flight. ..

I fly with a guy that helps flight test Garmin avionics. A common complaint seems to be how few of their development group are pilots. I think it shows on some products more than others. I do think they are working on that.

Garmin is the "respected" name in navigation & hardware too. To keep that respect they better get on the program, of listening to the end users, US. We pay their way.
I believe it when I hear that few if any developers are pilots. IF that's the case, they should be listening even closer to us. We are their "paying test beds", the paying end user. Wow. IF I treated my clients with eth same mentality, who knows where my company would stand....
IF it was standing.
I wonder IF, if, they have anyone who is on the R&D team / management team, reading & reporting, what we are saying here. I do hope so.

Now I create a "Trip"... But it cannot be edit end' only used or deleted? Is the any way to edit anything at all in GP? Getting more frustrating by the min.

You can edit it and you can clone it. Still learning it myself.

For you iPad Pilot owners, 5.0.2 just hit the App Store.

For you iPad Pilot owners, 5.0.2 just hit the App Store.

they sure are kicking out the updates. Is 5.0.2 just a bug fixing update? Or is there more significant features?

Here's the bug fix info for the 2.4 Android version:

>>
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There was a bug in the initial 2.4 release where it would dump the data during the update. We released 2.4.1 a few hours later to correct that issue but unfortunately there is no way to recover that information that was lost. It will have to be re-entered into the application.

One of the enhancements of the 2.4 build was to now store that information on our servers so that if you switch handsets or have to do a reset of the device, that it will be backed up on our servers (previously that information was only stored on the devices memory). Unfortunately there was a bug during the initial synch with our servers that caused the data to be erased in 2.4 which is why there tried to get the fix (2.4.1) out as soon as possible.

From now on all the data that you enter will be synched and stored on our server so you should not have this problem in the future.
[/FONT]
<<

Whatever they did, the app has now worked PERFECTLY on the last two flights.

Rock solid Bluetooth to the GDL-39 (I just turned it on, and it connected. You know...like it's supposed to work?), and the split screen traffic display is fantastic. We flew around Austin/San Marcos yesterday, and were able to see traffic before ATC called it out.

This is the best update yet.

For Our Info:
I spoke with Garmin CustSupport yesterday asking why I could not enter multiple waypoints into trip planning. After we did get tha sorted out, I asked about the i-droid systems. The gentleman (Frank) said that the 2 both have their problems, but seem to have more issues related to the Droid. That seems to be due to the facts that android changes, like the weather...
He did say that they expect to be doing another major update just before or at the time of Oshkosh. He hinted at synthetic vision & terrain...as things that are in the "bottle"
Could be's...:))

For Our Info:
I spoke with Garmin CustSupport yesterday asking why I could not enter multiple waypoints into trip planning. After we did get tha sorted out, I asked about the i-droid systems. The gentleman (Frank) said that the 2 both have their problems, but seem to have more issues related to the Droid. That seems to be due to the facts that android changes, like the weather...
He did say that they expect to be doing another major update just before or at the time of Oshkosh. He hinted at synthetic vision & terrain...as things that are in the "bottle"
Could be's...:))

I've been running both versions (Nexus 7 and an iPad 2) for the last several months. The iPad version is more refined and advanced. It seems like every time a minor upgrade is launched on the Droid version, the Apple version takes a bigger step forward. Clearly two development teams exist who seem rarely to speak with each other, let alone people who use the applications.

I also run a ForeFlight version on my iPad and iPhone 5. If I liked the GUI better, I would stay with it. Decisions, decisions...

Passed my IFR checkride today so I purchased a GDL39 to compliment Garmin Pilot on my tablet. I'm taking the clubs 182 RG with wife and nephew in a month to Sonoma Cali for Nascar, Sea Kayaking and trip into San Francisco. Will most definitely enjoy inflight weather on the "big screen".

Hey, AOPA finally has an article on Android tablets in the monthly magazine. Page 36 and 37 in the June issue.

Talk about "behind the curve".... lol. Not even a mention of the Nexus 7, by name. But they did mention that Foreflight's CEO will "never" create an Android version. :rolleyes:

I suppose, given the amount of money iPad-based apps are paying AOPA, I shouldn't be surprised, but an honest PIREP of this marvelous tablet, and all the aviation apps available for it, is long overdue.

... Foreflight's CEO will "never" create an Android version.
Actually, I think that's good.

As Android grows, Foreflight's absence will increase others' motivation to develop for Android because the market is not (yet, at least) dominated by a single app like Foreflight dominates in the iThings market. We'll have more things to choose from.

I am especially hoping that Hilton shows up in force, as he is committed to open interfaces rather than to proprietary boxes like the Stratus and the GDL-39. Again, more things to choose from.

For me, Garmin Pilot is a holding pattern while I wait for something better to show up. I love their TSOed boxes but I think they have too much marketing and hardware baggage to be the winner in the tablet market.

For me, Garmin Pilot is a holding pattern while I wait for something better to show up. I love their TSOed boxes but I think they have too much marketing and hardware baggage to be the winner in the tablet market.

I don't think Garmin Pilot will ever be an "insanely great" app. Garmin isn't small, hungry, and innovative enough to do it. I've always felt like Garmin support is lackluster at best. Even their website sucks.

Garmin isn't small, hungry, and innovative enough to do it.
IIRC they have farmed it out to a small shop, though I don't remember where I read that.

I think their main limiting issue is that they don't want to contribute to the obsolescence of their dedicated aviation GPS products, so there are probably features that they won't implement. Also, they have the hardware vendor mindset --- software is a means not an end. Hence, the locked-in GDL-39.

Actually, I think that's good.

As Android grows, Foreflight's absence will increase others' motivation to develop for Android because the market is not (yet, at least) dominated by a single app like Foreflight dominates in the iThings market. We'll have more things to choose from.

I am especially hoping that Hilton shows up in force, as he is committed to open interfaces rather than to proprietary boxes like the Stratus and the GDL-39. Again, more things to choose from.

It's funny how picky we've become.

My first decent, true aviation GPS was the amazing AvMap. It was beautiful, innovative, and -- had it not been owned by ignoramuses -- would have easily come to dominate the aviation market.

Sadly, despite years of promises, weather came too late for them to compete. I finally bought a 496, and sold the AvMap.

By every measure except one -- weather -- the Garmin 496 was a HUGE step down from AvMap. It was smaller, slower, and had a horrible user interface. But, on-board weather trumped all, so I suffered with Garmin's dinky screen and awkwardly slow screen refresh rates.

Meanwhile, we had acquired a Lowrance 2000c, which moved over to the pilot's yoke after we panel-docked the 496. This was a nice GPS, but Lowrance orphaned it...

Now, the Nexus 7, running Garmin Pilot (and other apps) has FINALLY given me a display as good as my old AvMap, with free weather and (some) traffic. It is in every way superior to every GPS I've owned, and cost NOTHING by comparison.

Yet, all we do is ***** about it. :rolleyes:

I think Garmin is 95% there with the Pilot app. Still as with any project, that last 5% takes half your time.

It's funny how picky we've become. ... I think Garmin is 95% there with the Pilot app. Still as with any project, that last 5% takes half your time.
With all due respect, Jay, this quotation is what comes to mind:

"The advancement of the arts from year to year taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." So declared the U.S. Patent Commissioner, Henry L. Ellsworth, in 1844.

To say we are 95% "there" implies an endpoint. From the improvements you cite I project a trend, not an endpoint.

With all due respect, Jay, this quotation is what comes to mind:

"The advancement of the arts from year to year taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." So declared the U.S. Patent Commissioner, Henry L. Ellsworth, in 1844.

To say we are 95% "there" implies an endpoint. From the improvements you cite I project a trend, not an endpoint.

Oh, I didn't mean "95% of perfection". I meant "95% toward a solid app".

The sky's the limit with these tablets. Artificial vision, built in logbook, better displays -- it's all coming.

I can't wait for Google Glass to offer synthetic vision! :D

Finally was able to have fun with Garmin Pilot today. Turned on the GDL39 and set it on the dash. It paired up as advertised with no glitch and as soon as I checked in flight I had a beautiful sky full of light green dark green and yellow. We were hard IMC for 1.7 out of 2.2 hrs today. ATC vectored me around a cell that I could see on my tablet, pretty darn cool. I pressed for weather at Olympia and it popped right up showing weather that agreed with the current ATIS. I'm very happy with the performance.

I would like to ask the forum members here if they have had any problems with the Direct To function on Garmin Pilot android.

I cannot get this to work reliably. The issue is that after doing a direct to a way point, any way point, it will revert back to the active route after a few minutes. I have even taken all routes out except one waypoint which is required by GP and it will revert to that one way point in the route.

It was better in previous versions but the latest is unusable.

Garmin said it was that the internal GPS in the nexus was not good enough so I purchased a DUAL and connected it and had the same problem. I tried it with my phone and the DUAL but same problem. If you are not moving it will stay on the direct to but when moving starts it will revert.

I have a video of it doing it on youtube at http://YOUTU.BE/1UQPFUC1dew

The active route was 49A TOMSE ATL SSI. I am off route but heading toward 49A when I invoke the Direct 49A. It shows Direct to 49A.but shows data for the active routes destination of SSI showing the destination is 240 miles away and not for the direct to 49A destination which is about 3 miles away! Then at 1:38 in the video it reverts back to the active route. I try a second time to invoke direct to 49A. It very briefly says direct to 49A but then immediately goes back to the route

Immediately after it fails I switch to an app that tells you how many satellites you are using and it says 10 in use. So how is this a signal issue? You can see this in the video.

I flew with it again today and saw that it would have the magenta line drawn for the direct to but will have data for the active route. I took all route waypoints out save one because it is required and it reverted to that one waypoint from the direct to destination.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have been trying to get this to work for months now and it only gets worse with every update. It is really screwed up. I cannot get it to work at all with the latest update.

Last edited:
Sorry, I never use "Direct To". It's on my list of "things to try" on our next flight, but yesterday's flight was scrubbed due to low clouds and high winds.

I just use the "Active Flight Plan" method of adding a destination.

But Jay, if you are just riding around and want to go to say an airport you don't really have a starting point so how do you enter a route. Seems like a lot of key strokes. I have a 496 in the dash and just press direct and enter the airport code and its done.

But Jay, if you are just riding around and want to go to say an airport you don't really have a starting point so how do you enter a route. Seems like a lot of key strokes. I have a 496 in the dash and just press direct and enter the airport code and its done.

Our days of just "riding around" are long behind us, I'm afraid. We always select a destination, and fly there. I usually set up Pilot on the ground, at my house, and let the current weather load from my WiFi.

That gives me a very good preflight weather briefing. If all looks good, we go!

In our Ercoupe, we used to just go "up" -- and land random places. Maybe we'll do that again when we get the RV-8A.

I don't think Garmin Pilot will ever be an "insanely great" app. Garmin isn't small, hungry, and innovative enough to do it. I've always felt like Garmin support is lackluster at best. Even their website sucks.

Yeah, I submitted a question to them over a week ago and have yet to hear anything. ForeFlight usually responds within an hour, even on weekends.

Last edited:
dang...I'm thinking of a GDL 39 for Dad's day, but I'm also thinking a new version might be out at OSH, so hold off. Technology- can't live with it: can't live without it. :(

I'm also thinking a new version might be out at OSH.
My guess is they will introduce a model with integrated AHRS to compete with the Stratus box. At the same price point as the Stratus.

Well... As I understand from my last conversation 3 weeks ago with G, they have no scheduled update / upgrade to the GDL... I tried for 4 days at a dealer to get my Nexus7 to connect to 1. No Go...
I turned a different leaf... as mych as I am a "Droid" guy, I bought a iPad Mini & have bot FF & WingX installed. WingX support has been anything less than amazing, bot in emailz & on the phone.
They Care! Updates seem to be going at a fast pace to stay on top of the filed. It is super easy to set up routs, look at info & just navigate with. I really do NOT like the apple at all & will use it only for flight stuff, with lots of good apps being available for apple...
Seems that Droids are being left behind in the race... Thats for sure...

Seems that Droids are being left behind in the race... Thats for sure...

Well, except for the thousands of us who use and love the Nexus 7/GDL-39 combo. lol

I have no idea why you were unable to Bluetooth the two units, but mine has been 100% bulletproof since the last Garmin Pilot update a few weeks ago. I have zero complaints, and have been nothing short of amazed with the speed and versatility with which Garmin has responded to suggestions.

Remember, this device -- and app -- has existed for less than one year. It is in its infancy, by every measure. I'd say they have done a remarkable job, going from zero to nearly perfect in that short time.

I'm sure the iPad mini is a fine piece of kit, and if all I wanted a tablet for was flying, I might buy one. Since I use my tablet all day, every day, for a hundred other things, there is no way I would saddle myself with iOS again. Not even for avgas.

Hey Jay,
I agree & disagree all in the same voice. The G-App is young yes. I do know tha they do not expect it to be at the same level as the i-App too. Their saying Thats sad.
I LOVE my Nexus7. Its heads over the i-krap yes,,, but I did want the tablet for the flights 1st. Biz second.
Ill let you know how this transition goes. I'm still in this for the growth & knowledge. I'm not a i-guy by any means!
CaptGary

Back