Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

I don't think so ..

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and just get an apple not only for GP SVT, but for foreflight maybe.

I wonder if you can run one iOS device and one android device on the same premium GP subscription?

You can. I did for a year before I dropped the N7.

Broke down today and grabbed a GDL 39 3D from Marv Golden's shop near my office - paired it up to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 running GP Android and played with it in the Jeep over lunch, will try it out in flight this afternoon. Initially impressed but concerned about the AHRS, seemed to give some spurious data.

I'll follow up with a PIREP after the flight.

'Gimp

Any speculation as to when or ever if SVT will be available for GP android?

Garmin?

Got an hour in with the GDL 39 3D and my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 mounted to the windshield in the Citabria, overall I am very impressed.

82G-08-13-14-1_zps5540cc99.png

AHRS was solid, TIS-B worked great, ADS-B Wx was good - really a radical improvement in situational awareness. The TIS-B actually called out a plane that I did not see in my scan - very impressive.

The mini-panel was a nice bit of info split-screen with the map to watch airspaces here in SoCal.

Is it worth $900? I think once I am used to it and use it more the answer will be yes.

The improvement in GPS positioning data from the GDL 39 3D (WAAS) vs the accuracy of the built-in GPS in the tablet is genuine but under most situations may only represent 20-30 feet.

Garmin has to roll SVT to the Android platform, they are the best overall choice in Android and it would be a dumb decision not to - admittedly I bought the GDL with the expectation that they will roll out SVT - if they don't I'll probably sell the GDL and move to an App that does offer SVT.

All in all a nicely integrated system that adds to SA.

Edited to add - plugged the GDL 39 3D in this morning to recharge the battery and it had consumed 14% in the 1.2 hrs it was active in the cockpit - not bad. They claim 4-5 hours as I recall.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Going to be some interesting decisions in the next few months when the Nexus 8 is rumored to launch and the Mini may get an update. Could be hard to choose between them and the Samsung.

I hope Garmin doesn't keep Android users in the back seat.

Edited to add - plugged the GDL 39 3D in this morning to recharge the battery and it had consumed 14% in the 1.2 hrs it was active in the cockpit - not bad. They claim 4-5 hours as I recall.

I seem to get closer to 4 or a bit less, especially when it's hot outside. This weekend's project is a 5V to 12V upconverter so I can run it off the same 'USB battery' that I can use for my iPad. Right now I have a more bulky Laptop style external battery(Energizer XP18000) that can run it for days when I need it.

Another observation from my time with the GDL 39 3D in the air and on the ground, the heading information from the GDL is perhaps as much as 3 times more granular and faster reacting than the built-in GPS in the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 - makes for more precise information display when maneuvering.

Spent some time reviewing video of the iPad version of GP with SVX last night, I want that capability with obstacles on Android and I will be happy - really impressive.

'Gimp

I don't know if anyone else here uses XM / MobileLink with the Android version of GP. But I do, and for the last couple of updates I've noticed an annoyance that I'm wonder if anyone has figured out.

The app doesn't seem to automatically display the most recent radar image. For example, say it is 1500Z and I've just received and am viewing the 1500Z radar image. At 1505 (or soon afterwards), the app doesn't automatically update the display. If I manually click on the time in the lower right hand corner, I can usually manually advance the slider to 1505Z and see the new weather, but this is a pain -- it means that I can't ever just glance down at the tablet to see the latest weather; instead, I have to manually click the time and advance to the latest time, only to do so again after the data has been updated.

I know, this is a minor thing. But still, just wondering if anyone has found a trick to get it to always display the latest radar image.

I could have sworn it _used_ to do this, several updates ago, but not anymore.

Thanks,
Steve Lin

Yup. I noticed that, and yes, I thought it used to do it. Either way, I'd like for it TO do it...

but garmin, if you're prioritizing features, gimme an AF/D first, please. :)

I've noticed recently that GP is 'launching' if you will centered on the PRAGS intersection just outside Minneapolis St Paul, and it is returning to this location whenever I am in the various menu pages and hit MAP or the back key - I am having to hit the Center on Own button to get back to my actual location.

I don't recall it doing this before I added the GDL 39 3D and upgrade to GP 3.03.

Anyone else noticed this or similar?

'Gimp

Mary and I have noticed an increasing number of anomalies in Garmin Pilot, to the point where I did a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Lately, we have seen some weird stuff, including:

1. Loading/opening slowly. On a Nexus 7 (2013), this app used to be lightning fast. Not anymore.

2. Radar anomalies. It seems to be okay when connected to the internet, but ADS-B radar has been hit or miss.

3. Flight plans. While creating a flight plan the app occasionally appears to lock up. Sometimes it gives the "Garmin Pilot has stopped" box of death, offering to let you send a crash report. Other times it recovers.

It seems to me that the app was more stable before the last few updates.

The slow start up time has me wanting the nexus 8 to hurry up and arrive.

I don't know what they did, but it's slower overall. I have a nexus 7 2013. Everything takes longer recently... initial load, page transitions, changing overlays, etc. It's not the tablet, either. Other apps (games) continue to be snappy.

Also, the vector maps are unusable for me because the redraw is just too damn slow. As a programmer, I'm not sure why that should be. I'm certain I could do better. Have, in fact for very similar apps.

Maybe it's in my head, but my N7 and S5 seem to run GP a little snappier if I clear up some RAM with super task killer. I leave GP unchecked. I don't kill it.

The slow start up time has me wanting the nexus 8 to hurry up and arrive.

I don't know what they did, but it's slower overall. I have a nexus 7 2013. Everything takes longer recently... initial load, page transitions, changing overlays, etc. It's not the tablet, either. Other apps (games) continue to be snappy.

Also, the vector maps are unusable for me because the redraw is just too damn slow. As a programmer, I'm not sure why that should be. I'm certain I could do better. Have, in fact for very similar apps.
I don't mind the maps, but I agree: the app seems to be running in molasses lately.

I wonder what Garmin did?

I don't mind the maps, but I agree: the app seems to be running in molasses lately.

I wonder what Garmin did?

The iPad version is a little slower on a cold start as well.

There are classic (computer science-y) tradeoffs that are basically "pay once or pay every time" sorts of things. I wouldn't mind a longer start up time IF once the app is running, it's faster. Maybe that's what they're trying to do, but not quite getting it right.

Garmin, if you're reading this... don't misunderstand. I still like Garmin Pilot. Just wish it saw as much love as the iPad version.

Started running the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 with GP and the GDL39-3D. Outstanding tablet, bright and clear in my Grumman Tiger. Seems like a solid lock with the GDL. Only limitation is 16 GB device memory. Has micro SD, but doesn't seem to be able to store the anav data and charts on the SD card.

About $309 on Amazon. Doesn't have the reported overheating issues of the S 8.4. Worth a look if you want something larger than the Nexus 7. I also installed the Google Now Launcher so it hides the strange Samsung Magazine user interface.

I saw the Nexus 7 (2013) on sale for $109 (after rebate) last week. A sure sign that the Nexus 8 is imminent!

I saw the Nexus 7 (2013) on sale for $109 (after rebate) last week. A sure sign that the Nexus 8 is imminent!
I sure like my first gen Nexus 7. I use it all the time, every day. But I have a feeling the battery is starting to go - seems to not last as long as it used to. The N8 might be a good Christmas present to myself. I wonder how much they'll want for it?

For those with Nexus 7 tablets (and maybe others too), try turning on ART runtime in Developer settings (not in GP, in Android itself). It gives a noticeable increase in performance for GP and some other apps. The drawback is that some apps may not be compatible, however all apps I'm using work just fine, plus you can always roll back to Dalvik runtime.

Just tried ART. Cyanogenmod warns against it, but I did it anyway 'cause that's how I roll.

Trebuchet died a time or two, but garmin started up and once going, it did seem snappier, especially while zooming and panning.

My "fix" for gamin is going to be Nexus 8, and if I buy an iLevil, I'll move away from Garmin completely.

Jay, where was that? My mom wants one, but she wouldn't have used it enough to pay what I paid for mine. That's getting cheap enough that if she ends up not using it, I don't feel as bad.

For those with Nexus 7 tablets (and maybe others too), try turning on ART runtime in Developer settings (not in GP, in Android itself). It gives a noticeable increase in performance for GP and some other apps. The drawback is that some apps may not be compatible, however all apps I'm using work just fine, plus you can always roll back to Dalvik runtime.

I don't see an ART (what the hell is ART anyway?) in developer options.

I wonder if "Force GPU rendering' for 2D drawing would help? And 'disable HW overlays' to always use GPU rendering for screen compositing.

??? ... I 'R' not a computer genius... :nonod:

I don't see an ART (what the hell is ART anyway?) in developer options.

On mine, anyway, "Developer Options | Select Runtime "

then you have a choice between dalvik and art. It'll reboot, and then it looks (to me) like it's, well, not recompiling, but I guess it sort of is, all your installed apps. Let it finish, obviously, and try it. You can switch back the same way, assuming nothing breaks. :)

then you have a choice between dalvik and art. It'll reboot, and then it looks (to me) like it's, well, not recompiling, but I guess it sort of is, all your installed apps. Let it finish, obviously, and try it. You can switch back the same way, assuming nothing breaks. :)

Thanks. I'll usually try anything once.

Maybe twice... :D;)

This video did help a little with the N7 speed. He limits it to two processes running max. And he shuts off window animation scale, transition animation scale, and animator duration scale.

I went ahead and checked 'Force GPU rendering' and it did not hurt either.

I can't say it just leaped out of my hands, but it didn't hurt. GP 'seems' to be snappier. But it's not flight tested yet. :dunno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma93pEl4A-c

For those with the 2013 Nexus 7, did you have issues with Bluetooth not wanting to pair with the Garmin GDL 39 3D? I had this issue and had to do a reset of the discover function on the GDL (long press when power and blinking blue light were on, till they reset). This allowed it to pair, but then I saw dropout of the BT connection with the GDL about every minute or so for several seconds.

Checked the dropout against my old Motorola XYBoard which paired fine and made a steady BT connection with the GDL. So the GDL seems OK.

Tried the N7 again and saw the same dropout ( testing all while flying). Saw the earlier thread about BT connection issues, but nothing recently with (presumably) the newer model N7.

Lost confidence in the N7 and returned it and got the Samsung TabPro 8.4 which paired and holds steady BT connection with the GDL.

No problems with the N7 pairing, since the last GDL-39 firmware update last year (?).

We turn the master switch on, and that powers up the GDL-39. By the time I've done my runup, it's paired automatically with the N7, and downloaded the current radar picture. (We have an ADS-B tower just a few mikes away!)

No muss, no fuss. It's a great combo.

It actually does compile everything. ART is a new generation "ahead-of-time compilation" runtime environment. Apps take more space because they are compiled into native code, but they start and work faster. It also improve garbage collection, so the process doesn't stutter when garbage collection occurs (you may notice that when scrolling stuff).

Still learning GP and have a question. Long XC coming up and the first leg is fine from present position to a fuel stop. The second leg, from the fuel stop to destination shows 1400+ miles or from present position to final destination.

How, before I get to leg 2, do I get leg two show its actual length?

For folks who have asked about daylight visibility of my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, this was yesterday morning in the greenhouse bubble canopy of a T-34A Mentor, about 9:30 AM, sun at 1 o'clock.

EFB_zps342bfc3e.png

'Gimp

Still learning GP and have a question. Long XC coming up and the first leg is fine from present position to a fuel stop. The second leg, from the fuel stop to destination shows 1400+ miles or from present position to final destination.

How, before I get to leg 2, do I get leg two show its actual length?
Not sure which screen you are on. If you are on the trip planning screen: open the flight plan tab at the bottom. There will be 4 columns. You can configure each column by touching each column heading to bring up a pull-down menu and choose another piece of information, including the length of each leg. On the map screen all I could find is distance-next and distance-destination.

Last edited:
Currently I am in Maine. I have a flight plan saved for 0I8(Eastern KY) to 2TS6 (Dallas area), select it, home, map. The map shows departure point, course line, and along the top of the screen are the selected data - bearing, track, speed, distance, etc. But the distance reads 1462nm when it is closer to 730nm.

Went to trip planning and it has the correct distance but the map page seems to measure from present position, not the departure point of the next/future leg.

For grins I set up a flight plan from Dallas to Tulsa RVS and the distance read 1308nm.

Map page can be configured to show five data variables in portrait or eight in landscape.

Currently I am in Maine. I have a flight plan saved for 0I8(Eastern KY) to 2TS6 (Dallas area), select it, home, map. The map shows departure point, course line, and along the top of the screen are the selected data - bearing, track, speed, distance, etc. But the distance reads 1462nm when it is closer to 730nm.

Went to trip planning and it has the correct distance but the map page seems to measure from present position, not the departure point of the next/future leg.

For grins I set up a flight plan from Dallas to Tulsa RVS and the distance read 1308nm.

Map page can be configured to show five data variables in portrait or eight in landscape.

Is the flight plan somehow set for a round trip if it's showing double the distance?

You can change the data blocks that are displayed across the top, and swipe from side to side to show more.

GDL 39-3D UPDATE - Now that I have about 5-ish hours with the GDL 39-3D I must say I really like the situational awareness the TIS-B traffic provides.

Yesterday it let me make corrections to conflicts that I was alerted to by the GDL prior to see and avoid (traffic was above and behind) and prior to Tower calling them out - I saw the alert on the tablet, maneuevered to see the traffic through the skylight in the Citabria just as tower called the other plane to alert them of my location. Combined with SafeTaxi and geo-referenced approach plates it is a tremendous amount of useful data.

Now if only they would bring the Android version to parity with iOS. ;^)

'Gimp

GDL 39-3D UPDATE - Now that I have about 5-ish hours with the GDL 39-3D I must say I really like the situational awareness the TIS-B traffic provides.

Yesterday it let me make corrections to conflicts that I was alerted to by the GDL prior to see and avoid (traffic was above and behind) and prior to Tower calling them out - I saw the alert on the tablet, maneuevered to see the traffic through the skylight in the Citabria just as tower called the other plane to alert them of my location. Combined with SafeTaxi and geo-referenced approach plates it is a tremendous amount of useful data.

Now if only they would bring the Android version to parity with iOS. ;^)

'Gimp

Like this?:

9y6enavy.jpg

I was on the approach, fortunately in VMC and saw this guy the whole way.

Last edited:
Back