Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Figured it out. Who said you can't teach an old iPad user new tricks? Here is an example of the font on a Nexus 7 with Garmin Pilot.

uploadfromtaptalk1359382566783.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Can someone tell me how to do a screen capture on a Nexus 7?

Press the power button and volume down at the same time. The image will be stored in the gallery.

Edit: there will be an indication that it actually worked, too.

Anyone figure out how to do a reasonably quick preflight briefing, you know check ceilings, visability, winds aloft, etc?

Or why it always defaults to 1k feet as my cruise altitude?

Anyone figure out how to do a reasonably quick preflight briefing, you know check ceilings, visability, winds aloft, etc?

Touch on the airport you are interested in, then touch on the WX button that pops up. Or, do a split screen and display widgets (I think). There are ways to get NOTAMS, but the only way I've found to do that is to get airport info through the map screen.

Or why it always defaults to 1k feet as my cruise altitude?

Here's my latest preflight method with Garmin Pilot:

1. Preflight, program your route of flight into the flight plan.

2. On the map screen, press the overlay button (upper right) and select Weather.

3. You will now see a very nice graphic depiction of the weather, similar to ADDS. The airports will be color-coded (Green for good VFR, Blue for marginal VFR, Red for IFR), and you can zoom out to get a fine depiction of the current weather.

For detailed weather conditions, touch any reporting airport. You can also see TAFs, winds aloft, etc. by touching the airports.

Jay,
thanks for sharing your 'flow'.

There's a new version of Garmin Pilot for Android

Release notes for Version 2.3.0:
- Airport Browser has been updated (completely reworked)
- Improved downloads section now contains separate maps for current and next cycles (like the iPad version)

- Added Nav bar to full-screen SafeTaxi and Chart views
- Improved Bluetooth connection logic for GDL 39 and external GPS devices
- Various other bugs fixed

Improving Bluetooth connectivity on Android is an ongoing battle. Hopefully some folks will see an improvement with this release. I can say from personal experience that the app does connect better when I disable Wifi before using Bluetooth, on at least a few devices. I've also seen on the N7 where the the GDL39 will disappear from the Paired devices list.. in which case turning Bluetooth off and back on made it immediately appear in the list again.

livitup's bug (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1081413&postcount=78) has been fixed too..

The Garmin Pilot Android team is an unstoppable juggernaut… The releases just keep coming! :)

- Improved downloads section now contains separate maps for current and next cycles (like the iPad version)

Improving Bluetooth connectivity on Android is an ongoing battle. Hopefully some folks will see an improvement with this release. I can say from personal experience that the app does connect better when I disable Wifi before using Bluetooth, on at least a few devices. I've also seen on the N7 where the the GDL39 will disappear from the Paired devices list.. in which case turning Bluetooth off and back on made it immediately appear in the list again.

livitup's bug (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1081413&postcount=78) has been fixed too..

The Garmin Pilot Android team is an unstoppable juggernaut… The releases just keep coming! :)

Pretty amazing....

They are clearly all in on the Android platform. I would imagine this is where they can penetrate the most and quickest (they seem to have dedicated more resources) since Foreflight doesnt exist in the space. They can't forget about us IPAD folks though!

Dang...just installed it and it crashed three times in the first five minutes. :confused:

As quickly as they're rolling out these updates, I suspect the amount of QC that goes into them is relatively small. Perhaps WE are their QC department!

Dang...just installed it and it crashed three times in the first five minutes. :confused:

As quickly as they're rolling out these updates, I suspect the amount of QC that goes into them is relatively small. Perhaps WE are their QC department!

Well, maybe the QC dept is just you?

--

I usually get an update notification about a day after someone here mentions the update, so I don't have it yet.

Assuming the fix this latest glitch (may have to try reinstalling), the only feature they're lacking is weather imagery. I've put in another request that it be added to the 7" devices.

Jonesy - does it work any better if you delete and reinstall? (I know it can be a PITA to download all the charts again, but worth trying.)

Jonesy - does it work any better if you delete and reinstall? (I know it can be a PITA to download all the charts again, but worth trying.)

Just tried that. Force closed the app. Uninstalled. Rebooted. Reinstalled. Spent two hours redownloading the charts. Crashed within a minute.

Unusable until the next update, I guess.

Bummer. :(

hmm time to turn off the auto updating - it was poised to install but I chose not to. I'll wait for 2.3.1

Last edited:
hmm time to turn off the auto updating - it was poised to install but I chose not to. I'll wait for 2.3.1

I had the same problem -- Pilot INSTANTLY crashed after updating. Then, it would work for a short time, but display a black screen on the bottom half of the split screen for a few minutes, and then die.

Here's the fix: The update has unchecked EVERY choice of what to display on the bottom half of the split screen. Evidently, this causes an internal logic failure. Quickly select anything -- Panel, Widgets, Safe Taxi, anything -- and it runs fine.

It's been stable since I did this.

Pretty lame of Garmin not to test this update, but I suspect we'll be seeing another update here shortly.

I had the same problem -- Pilot INSTANTLY crashed after updating. Then, it would work for a short time, but display a black screen on the bottom half of the split screen for a few minutes, and then die.

Here's the fix: The update has unchecked EVERY choice of what to display on the bottom half of the split screen. Evidently, this causes an internal logic failure. Quickly select anything -- Panel, Widgets, Safe Taxi, anything -- and it runs fine.

It's been stable since I did this.

Pretty lame of Garmin not to test this update, but I suspect we'll be seeing another update here shortly.

Nope...didn't fix mine. I've tried every combination in the 15 or seconds I have before it crashes.

Fixed it! You guys can thank ME for the 15-20 crash reports sent to Gramin in the last five hours!

You're welcome.

Cool, thanks!

Although mine has been running and stable since I did what I did to fix it five hours ago. Dunno why that didn't work for yours? :dunno:

Mine is still crashing on the updates...

Just fired up my Garmin Pilot on the Nexus and got a message that it had successfully updated. I thought I had the auto-updates turned off. How do I make sure that's really the case?

It did update to 2.3.1. I ran it for about 5-10 minutes and bounced around inside it. I didn't have any problems, but I also didn't notice anything different. Yes, I did read the release notes, but apparently whatever was changed wasn't anything I used or paid that much attention to. I'll have to look all that over again a little more closely.

It seems they have added the Nav Bar to the Smart Taxi screen (a dubious enhancement) and hopefully addressed the Bluetooth connectivity issues some are having.

BTW: I tried quoting your post in my response, and it said "you do not have permission to access this page". Is that something you did, or do I have a problem with Tapatalk?

It seems they have added the Nav Bar to the Smart Taxi screen (a dubious enhancement) and hopefully addressed the Bluetooth connectivity issues some are having.

BTW: I tried quoting your post in my response, and it said "you do not have permission to access this page". Is that something you did, or do I have a problem with Tapatalk?

I do that on purpose so no one can quote me out of context.

Not really - must be something going on with Tapatalk.

How do I verify that auto updates are turned off for GarminPilot? I thought it was, but apparently not.

I do that on purpose so no one can quote me out of context.

Not really - must be something going on with Tapatalk.

How do I verify that auto updates are turned off for GarminPilot? I thought it was, but apparently not.

Go to Google Play, My Apps, and find Garmin Pilot in the list. "Allow automatic updating" should be off. It's off by default, none of my apps auto update, but I tend to check for updates every day and just do them all anyways.

Thanks. Took me a while, but I found it. I don't know what I was looking at earlier.

Anyone experiencing weird problems with the download after the last update? Like this...

da2a2a5y.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone experiencing weird problems with the download after the last update? Like this...

da2a2a5y.jpg

Uh oh.

I haven't had any expired charts to download, but that doesn't look good.

No problem with downloads. Did you double check your net connection?

I've seen that download issue pop up, but it's always indicated a problem with the DigCyclone data servers. Lots of folks try to update when they get the notification, often 10+ days ahead of the next cycle start date. This can cause overload on the servers.

I've seen that download issue pop up, but it's always indicated a problem with the DigCyclone data servers. Lots of folks try to update when they get the notification, often 10+ days ahead of the next cycle start date. This can cause overload on the servers.

That's another area they fall short of ForeFlight standards. I can download the entire US from ForeFlight in barely more time than four states worth of data on GP. You see four concurrent downloads happening in ForeFlight and only a single file at a time with GP.

That's another area they fall short of ForeFlight standards. I can download the entire US from ForeFlight in barely more time than four states worth of data on GP. You see four concurrent downloads happening in ForeFlight and only a single file at a time with GP.

Doesn't this sound like a problem of server capacity?

Back