Garmin Pilot - download troubles

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
My wife's iPad serves as the 2nd copy of Garmin Pilot in the cockpit.

I'm not always as good about updating it as I am my own iPad.

So before the weekend is upon us, I grabbed it, and wanted to get it caught-up.

I'm used to GP's ridiculous "Your downloads are up to date" statement to be followed a minute later by a ton of downloads happening. But I'm not used to what I'm seeing here.

"Your downloads are up to date" - with blatantly expired databases showing underneath. I let some time pass, so that it could connect, think about itself, and contemplate downloads, but nothing seemed to help. I tried forcing one download (on RHS) and it made no real difference.

Any ideas?

See attached image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 10.23.14 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 10.23.14 AM.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 40
no thoughts. mine will usually just start, eventually. you can try swiping down on that page you're on to refresh the page, 'maybe' that will give it the kick it needs. also check to see if the ipad is currently downloading/upgrading other apps in the background.

Is your GP version up to date? I've seen this as well, but always able to get it started, but can't remember how right now. I checked mine and it's all up to date. When all else fails, close the app and try a hard restart of the iPad.

I’ve found with my backup that if it hasn’t been updated in awhile I have to go in and manually initiate the download for each chart and I delete any expired charts while I’m at it.

I checked, and wifey's iPad has automatic app updates, and it's current.

I just picked it up again, after having had it on the charger for a while, and re-checked, and it did some navel-gazing, then decided it had 62 updates to process.

Yayyyy.

I simply wish the process was either a) a little more swift, or b) at least said - "Evaluating update status".

For it to tell me that my downloads are up-to-date, is simply a lie that I don't really appreciate. Very similar to status lines that hang at 99% (or worse, 100%) complete, for an hour while the system is ferociously cranking away on *something*.

Welcome to my hell. This happens every update cycle with my Samsung tablet and has every time since I started using GP 4 or 5 years ago. All I get from "support" is "I have reported it to the development team".

20200618_125343.jpg 20200618_125320.jpg

The only way I have found to get around it is to either "Delete All" then "Download All" or select each expired item individually and Delete/Download them one at a time.

You might notice the Australia Runway Distance Suplement downloaded as well. Yet another "quirk" of the neglected Android version of the app. Random, uncommanded, and unwanted downloads. I have NO idea why it would automatically download Australian data.

My old Samsung had download issues. I think it was because the phone was too slow. On my new phone it has not had any problems. Only issue is it says up-to-date when still calculating.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

I have definitely noticed that non-iPad users seem to frequently have issues with their EFB during practical test. Not sure if it's the hardware, software, or both. But crashes, database currency, and other difficulties seem to manifest themselves regularly. The iPad EFB users don't ever seem to have any problems.

Welcome to my hell. This happens every update cycle with my Samsung tablet and has every time since I started using GP 4 or 5 years ago. All I get from "support" is "I have reported it to the development team".

View attachment 87257 View attachment 87258

The only way I have found to get around it is to either "Delete All" then "Download All" or select each expired item individually and Delete/Download them one at a time.

You might notice the Australia Runway Distance Suplement downloaded as well. Yet another "quirk" of the neglected Android version of the app. Random, uncommanded, and unwanted downloads. I have NO idea why it would automatically download Australian data.

I had similar problems when I changed the region I was in. It got confused, like you I had to delete all.

This thread is a couple years old. Did Garmin notice it? Appears not as I found this in my search for information on how to make the Download function in Garmin Pilot work in anything close to an acceptable manner. Garmin Pilot's download function can only be called extremely poor. Yet they do not fix it. It there any other product that runs in Android I can replace it with?

Nick

ForeFlight download isn’t great either. Maybe neither sees an advantage

My iPad updates GP automatically. I haven’t thought about updates for a few years. I wish my G3X did the same!

I've emailed the Garmin Support email several times over the last year+, and have given them LOTS of constructive criticism, screen shots, and more to outline the difficulties and deceptive messaging of their download status screen. gpfeedback@garmin.com

I have seen changes of behaviour to their application, and feel they're taking my input, as well as the input of countless others, into consideration.

Now, when I open the downloads page on GP, it says: "Checking Downloads." whereas before it simply immediately said: "Your downloads are up to date." Although, frustratingly, as I just did this to accurately get the wording, I watched it change between those states TWICE in a minute. So, clearly, it wasn't 100% sure. That's now another email to GP in the making.

The feedback email is often answered by "Russ", who is a non-pilot, but he swears the developers to whom he passes the information are 100% pilots.

I'm using a fifth-generation iPad running the latest operating system.

i talk to Russ all the time!

Russ could not fix mine, after several calls I got to a guy who flogged with it for over an hour. They finally enabled a ton of stuff I did not pay for to get my databases to load and be up to date. Lately, GP has been a real mess, I was having a lot of connection issues with the FS-510. Apparently there was some sort of change in Pilot that required the software in the flightstream to be updated to version 2.71. $440 bucks later to my installer, my connection problem was fixed. Only problem was my installer upgraded the software in the 750 and managed to Bork my autopilot, so back it goes...

I was also on autopay for pilot and they charged my card 4 months early for a renewal. I called, listened to the piano music for 45 minutes and got them to give me a refund.

Shouldn't have to deal with this!

Last edited:
I was having similar problems. Called Garmin tech support. She had me uninstall the app and reinstall. After that, everything downloaded and updated properly. Such a relief...I thought I was going to have to buy an iPad and use foreflight.

I haven't used foreflight, so I can't be certain how Garmin Pilot compares. I'm impressed with the features. It's like having a co-pilot in the cockpit with me.

In addition to POA community forum, and Garmin Tech Support, another helpful resource to consider: “Group for Garmin Pilot Users to interact and discuss and/or ask questions”

For facebook users, with questions specific to Garmin Pilot (iOS or Android app), troubleshooting, feature explanations (beyond the manual), update announcements, Garmin Pilot webinars, identifying issues (as experienced by multiple users, such as download fails), …

Garmin Pilot Users, Information & Questions and Answers
https://facebook.com/groups/408388203120843/

Last edited:
Back