Garmin Pilot 2.1.0 Update

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Garmin just released this automatic update for the Pilot software on Android.

Looks like the map screen is improved, with a "Direct to" option that no longer requires switching to the Home screen. And the Home screen is now accessed by touching "Home" instead of an icon that looked sorta like a house. This will be easier to see in turbulence.

It says they've added choices for the weather screen, and a host of other menu enhancements. We will have to wait for our next flight to play with those features, and to see if the flight planning "rubber banding" glitch has been fixed.

Also, there's now a more obvious switch for turning a remote Bluetooth GPS (such as the GDL-39 ADS-B receiver) on and off. That was always weird, trying to determine whether the app was using the internal Nexus 7 GPS, or the external one. (Not that it seemed to matter -- both worked fine.)

It's nice to see Garmin ramping up this software so quickly! It's really become much more polished in just a couple of months.

Edit: Yup, rubber banding a new graphical course works properly again. A previous update had effed that up -- nice to have it back!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:
They improved the Chart Binder feature, as well. Also like the prominent Direct To button on the top of the screen now, as well as the Screen brightness button.

Sadly, they have still to implement the nav data fields over approach plates as they exist on the map screens. :( Also lacking the pseudo-panel feature available in the 10" version.

I played around with it last night, seems to be quite a bit more intuitive. I updated a bunch of charts and it was much easier to do. The maps still load really slowly though, even with a great 4G interent connection.

last time I tried to go to the graphical course, a blank blue screen came up. I'll update to this version and see if it's fixed.

Also, there's now a more obvious switch for turning a remote Bluetooth GPS (such as the GDL-39 ADS-B receiver) on and off. That was always weird, trying to determine whether the app was using the internal Nexus 7 GPS, or the external one. (Not that it seemed to matter -- both worked fine.)

This fixes my biggest complaint about Garmin Pilot. Before the update, I was never able to get my bluetooth GPS (another Garmin product) to work with the app on my Nexus 7.

I have only had a small amount of time to play with the new update, but hopefully it includes more graphical weather. In the previous versions, I could never figure out how to get it to display any freezing level graphics.

Ryan

Also, the way they manage the chart downloads is completely redone. I was on the phone with Garmin last night about an issue with the previous version and sure enough, this version fixes it!

I'm impressed with the support Garmin is giving the product.

I called them on an issue today and got right through. I asked if they have added some tech support staff. He said he was one of three new techs just added. Good for them!

If they would add in synthetic vision like wingx I'd be sold. I doubt they will end up doing this in the near future though.

Also, the way they manage the chart downloads is completely redone. I was on the phone with Garmin last night about an issue with the previous version and sure enough, this version fixes it!

Like the message that says I have charts to download, and I can't tell which ones? I hope that is fixed tonight.

Like the message that says I have charts to download, and I can't tell which ones? I hope that is fixed tonight.

that was my complaint. I deleted all the charts, updated the app, and downloaded the charts. then it said two updates available. I clicked the update all button, and it brought down and installed the overview and phx sectional. acid test will be the next update cycle. I want to be sure that it will delete expired charts when I ask it to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

that was my complaint. I deleted all the charts, updated the app, and downloaded the charts. then it said two updates available. I clicked the update all button, and it brought down and installed the overview and phx sectional. acid test will be the next update cycle. I want to be sure that it will delete expired charts when I ask it to.

The update changed the UI for downloads in a positive way. It allowed me to cancel out the two downloads that weren't doing anything and all is well in the universe again. :D Good update to the program.

Just passing this along - I tried to pull up an approach plate today on my Nexus 7 and my samsung phone after the update. No luck and a crash.

Tried deinstalling and reinstalling the charts - no crash, but still no chart.

Deinstall and reinstall the application fixed it for me... but I had to download the charts again.

My GUESS is that there was something left (maybe in the cache folder) from the old version that made the new version unable to find and display the charts.

Whoah! I think we just got ANOTHER update to Garmin Pilot. Either that, or I TOTALLY missed the little button on the map screen with an up and down arrow on it?

When you push that button it gives you a split screen (actually two windows overlaid on the map) that gives you the current weather at each stop on your graphical flight plan. Very useful and cool!

Edit: Wow, it's not just current weather. You can configure each window to display everything from winds aloft to fuel prices. Way to go, Garmin!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:
It's a cool feature!

Whoah! I think we just got ANOTHER update to Garmin Pilot. Either that, or I TOTALLY missed the little button on the map screen with an up and down arrow on it?

When you push that button it gives you a split screen (actually two windows overlaid on the map) that gives you the current weather at each stop on your graphical flight plan. Very useful and cool!

Edit: Wow, it's not just current weather. You can configure each window to display everything from winds aloft to fuel prices. Way to go, Garmin!

Sent from my Nexus 7
You missed it. It came with 2.1.0, along with the fixes to graphical route editing, and the new chart download system.

I found a bug yesterday on a flight to MI and back. If you have a flight plan, but opt to do a Direct To, the Direct works fine...until you switch to another app or just to another section of Pilot. When you return to the map screen it has forgotten the Direct you were on. That was a pain yesterday.

I found a bug yesterday on a flight to MI and back. If you have a flight plan, but opt to do a Direct To, the Direct works fine...until you switch to another app or just to another section of Pilot. When you return to the map screen it has forgotten the Direct you were on. That was a pain yesterday.

I haven't flown with it since the update, but I did discover that Garmin Pilot does NOT like to be left on in your pocket, after the first leg of your flight.

Twice, now, after coming back from lunch and popping it on the yoke, it has worked for a bit and then frozen, requiring a restart of the app (not the tablet).

Since this only happened on the SECOND leg of each flight, after sitting in my pocket, out of sight of the satellites (or perhaps out of reach of the GDL-39 it was Bluetoothed to?), I presume it's something to do with being left on but unable to lock on?

Dunno -- but I'll see if it does it tomorrow, post-update. Hopefully that's something Garmin has ironed out, too.

Something cool I just discovered.

I can set my flight simulator PC (running XP and Flight Simulator 2004) to host a bluetooth serial port - COM3.

I then configure the flight simulator (using GPSOut by Peter Dowson) to send three different GPS sentences out via COM3 twice a second at 57600 bps.

I then just pair my Nexus 7 with the flight simulator PC, and in Garmin pilot go to the settings, external gps tab, and connect to the simulator PC.

BAM! When I fly my simulator, I get the sim position on Garmin Pilot. SafeTaxi charts work too. No wires, no fuss.

This is NOT possible on the iPad version because the iPad doesn't support Bluetooth Serial Port Profile devices. Nothing against the iPad, but that's a STUPID decision by Apple in the software area. No fuss, no muss, no rooting my Nexus, no hacking needed on the tablet at all.

I love having my electronic flight bag interface to my simulator. And it makes it very cool to be able to demo the Garmin pilot features without burning any AvGas.

Something cool I just discovered.

I can set my flight simulator PC (running XP and Flight Simulator 2004) to host a bluetooth serial port - COM3.

I then configure the flight simulator (using GPSOut by Peter Dowson) to send three different GPS sentences out via COM3 twice a second at 57600 bps.

I then just pair my Nexus 7 with the flight simulator PC, and in Garmin pilot go to the settings, external gps tab, and connect to the simulator PC.

BAM! When I fly my simulator, I get the sim position on Garmin Pilot. SafeTaxi charts work too. No wires, no fuss.

This is NOT possible on the iPad version because the iPad doesn't support Bluetooth Serial Port Profile devices. Nothing against the iPad, but that's a STUPID decision by Apple in the software area. No fuss, no muss, no rooting my Nexus, no hacking needed on the tablet at all.

I love having my electronic flight bag interface to my simulator. And it makes it very cool to be able to demo the Garmin pilot features without burning any AvGas.

That is unbelievably freaking cool.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Google announced yesterday an update to Jelly Bean OS. Will this be available as an update to existing Andriod users, or is it restricted to new hardware purchases? (device is locked, not rooted, etc)

That NEXUS 10 display should be amazing.

Google announced yesterday an update to Jelly Bean OS. Will this be available as an update to existing Andriod users, or is it restricted to new hardware purchases? (device is locked, not rooted, etc)

We will get Android 4.2 at some point. As always, details and upgrade schedules are vague.

I have no use for a 10" product, but I have to say that the reviews of the Nexus 10 look AMAZING. That screen blows away everything currently on the market.

Sent from my Nexus 7

how often is Garmin pushing out updates? Once every 6 months or once a quarter or more frequently than this?

It depends on your device I would imagine. I would think the Nexus 7 would get it, but I think it will be iffy for me (Galaxy Tab 10.1). I know my phone will get it though (Galaxy S3) and it's my backup to the tablet sooo :D

I am so impressed with how Garmin is updating and trying to be as viable as possible. I've let people mess with my tablet with it on it and it's sold some people on buying an Android tab for less money than an iPad and going that route. Go Android!

OK - you Nexus 7 people - I just saw the 16GB version has dropped $50 and the 32GB version has taken its place at the old price point. I don't have any model and don't know all the capabilities, but is there some reason not to get the 32GB? Yeah, it has double the RAM, but do you know if there were any corners cut? Same display, chipset?

I've pretty much decided to get one, and have been looking closely at the Garmin Pilot, so I've been following this thread.

I am heavily leaning to the new 32 g nexus 7 with the mobile connection, $299!! That's $160 less than the 16g iPad mini with mobile! And from following all these nexus threads I put my email on the nexus waiting list.

I have been using ForeFlight on my iPad paired with X-Plane running on my computer to achieve a similar result. It uses WiFi instead of Bluetooth, but the results are the same. It is a very cool feature.

I just got an e-mail from one of the FBOs in the area on this subject. They have there RedBird simulator setup to feed location information from the simulator to the iPad. It is amazing how fast electronic charts are being accepted by the aviation community.

Take $50 hit and sell yours, then trade up!

Bingo. That's what is SO freaking cool about the entire Nexus 7 line -- affordability. Heck, you can give it to your kid for Christmas, buy yourself a new one -- and you'll STILL be spending less than the iPad. :yes:

For the more lazy among us who use X-Plane, there's a $1.99 app that does all the work, X-Plane to GPS, the Android device and your X-Plane computer just need to be on the same network. And it will work with any Android app that allows mock locations.

How come? I've still got lots of room on my 16GB model.

Sent from my Nexus 7

With full charts for Garmin pilot (all but the WACs) I've got about 4 GB free. It remains to be seen whether I can get through an update cycle without running out of space. It will depend on how good Garmin Pilot is about getting rid of the expired versions of sectionals and enroute charts.

YES, I can reduce the number charts I install, but I don't want to do that.

The comment about getting a 32 GB model and giving the 16 GB model to my child is a good one.

I have been using ForeFlight on my iPad paired with X-Plane running on my computer to achieve a similar result. It uses WiFi instead of Bluetooth, but the results are the same. It is a very cool feature.

I just got an e-mail from one of the FBOs in the area on this subject. They have there RedBird simulator setup to feed location information from the simulator to the iPad. It is amazing how fast electronic charts are being accepted by the aviation community.

It's possible to do this stuff with iPad, but requires additional software and doesn't work with FS9. What I really like about the Garmin/Android combination is that it works EXACTLY the way it would with an external bluetooth GPS - the application doesn't know any different. No "mock locations", no widget software. That's because Android supports the SPP profile.

I agree that the Redbird feature is really cool.

Bingo. That's what is SO freaking cool about the entire Nexus 7 line -- affordability. Heck, you can give it to your kid for Christmas, buy yourself a new one -- and you'll STILL be spending less than the iPad. :yes:

Yeah, but he bought one before I did. :D Oh well...

And I've got plenty of memory left on mine, too.

The 32 GB is nice if you want to store more things on it like, the AIM, music, etc....

If you have a blue tooth headset you can stream your music in the cockpit which is nice on long trips.

Back