Garmin Pilot 2.1.0 Update

Actually, Android generally doesn't natively support Bluetooth GPS at all, it does support SPP, but your application has to handle the data(Garmin Pilot). Or you use an application that creates a virtual 'mock' GPS for those apps(Google Maps, Anywhere Map, etc) that don't directly support a serial GPS. Or on rooted devices you can get an application that makes the Bluetooth Serial GPS just like the internal GPS.

Apple treats 3rd party GPS units as fully supported location service, the downside is that the manufacturers have to be blessed and use the 'magic chip' and pay Apple lots of money so not just any Bluetooth device is usable. And like Android, on Jailbroken devices you can get apps that let any GPS work.

Does anyone know what the online web application is that you can use to do the flight planning online and then transfer to Garmin Pilot?

I'd also like to be able to export my flight plans to the format the g1000 uses and then put it on my SD card so I don't have to transfer my plans into the g1000. Maybe the online app has this functionality

Does anyone know what the online web application is that you can use to do the flight planning online and then transfer to Garmin Pilot?

I'd also like to be able to export my flight plans to the format the g1000 uses and then put it on my SD card so I don't have to transfer my plans into the g1000. Maybe the online app has this functionality

I found the answer to my first question, but it would still be nice to export the flight plan for import to the G1000

I found the answer to my first question, but it would still be nice to export the flight plan for import to the G1000
Please share the information, as I'd like to be able to do planning on something other than the Pilot app sometime.

I know that there's a Garmin page that supposedly does something like this but that functionality may not have made it to Android versions of Pilot yet.

The site you may be looking for is the flyGarmin website. This has a lot of information on connecting data with the portables. The iOS version of Garmin Pilot has connectivity to the information managed here. You can synchronized Routes, Pilot Information and Aircraft between the data on the website and Garmin Pilot on iOS. FlyGarmin access has not yet been added to the android version of Garmin Pilot.

just an update: I've read previous posts that Garmin Pilot did not allow 2 devices that were cross platform to be on a single subscription.

I have a Nexus and an iPad, so this was concerning to me. I called Garmin support and asked them regarding this, they said sure, an iPad device and an android device can be on a single subscription. GREAT! I was a bit skeptical since often customer service workers give out incorrect information or don't exactly understand the question, so I emailed Garmin Pilot support the same question. They replied (very quickly in fact) YES. And I have it in writing

just an update: I've read previous posts that Garmin Pilot did not allow 2 devices that were cross platform to be on a single subscription.

I have a Nexus and an iPad, so this was concerning to me. I called Garmin support and asked them regarding this, they said sure, an iPad device and an android device can be on a single subscription. GREAT! I was a bit skeptical since often customer service workers give out incorrect information or don't exactly understand the question, so I emailed Garmin Pilot support the same question. They replied (very quickly in fact) YES. And I have it in writing

This is definitely the case as I had it running on my iPad 2 and my Galaxy S3. Yesterday, I picked up a Nexus 7 and put the Garmin app on it, but I had to disable my subscription on my iPad to do it. Looks like a maximum of 2 devices per subscription.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Is it easy to disable a subscription on an old device? I had it on my Thunderbolt when it died, but haven't put it on my S3 because I didn't know how to change subscriptions.

FWIW, when I bought it initially, for some reason I got double charged. I emailed and it was fixed within a day. A+

Is it easy to disable a subscription on an old device? I had it on my Thunderbolt when it died, but haven't put it on my S3 because I didn't know how to change subscriptions.

FWIW, when I bought it initially, for some reason I got double charged. I emailed and it was fixed within a day. A+

Yes, it was very easy. When I put the app on my Nexus 7 and logged in, I had a notice pop up asking which one I wanted to cancel, my iPad 2 or my Galaxy S3. Cancelled the iPad 2, and it fired right up on the Nexus. Went home and started the app on my iPad 2 and no worky.

I give up. I've been looking around on the Pilot app for traffic pattern direction and I can't find it anywhere. There are some fields around here I know are right traffic, but no indication on Garmin Pilot that I can find. ForeFlight has an integrated AFD with this info. Important info to have, surprised it's not noted.

any thoughts?

Yes, it was very easy. When I put the app on my Nexus 7 and logged in, I had a notice pop up asking which one I wanted to cancel, my iPad 2 or my Galaxy S3. Cancelled the iPad 2, and it fired right up on the Nexus. Went home and started the app on my iPad 2 and no worky.

Thanks! Just put in on my GS3. Now gonna go mess with the 2.1 update on the phone and tablet. There are plusses to sharing the left seat with your s/o :D

I give up. I've been looking around on the Pilot app for traffic pattern direction and I can't find it anywhere. There are some fields around here I know are right traffic, but no indication on Garmin Pilot that I can find. ForeFlight has an integrated AFD with this info. Important info to have, surprised it's not noted.

any thoughts?

Perhaps Garmin thought having traffic pattern direction on the sectional chart was sufficient?

For example, Lake Jackson, Texas's (KLBX) Rwy 17 is right hand traffic. It is marked on the sectional as such.

Personally, I would like to see traffic direction in the "Traffic Pattern" airport information chart (that comes up when you long-touch any airport on the map, in Garmin Pilot). Currently, it only shows pattern altitude, which is nice but not nearly as critical.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Another thing I like on FF is when you long press on an alert area or MOA, the relevant info pops up. Is this info available on the Garmin app anywhere?

Another thing I like on FF is when you long press on an alert area or MOA, the relevant info pops up. Is this info available on the Garmin app anywhere?

Not yet. I'd like that, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Perhaps Garmin thought having traffic pattern direction on the sectional chart was sufficient?

For example, Lake Jackson, Texas's (KLBX) Rwy 17 is right hand traffic. It is marked on the sectional as such.

Personally, I would like to see traffic direction in the "Traffic Pattern" airport information chart (that comes up when you long-touch any airport on the map, in Garmin Pilot). Currently, it only shows pattern altitude, which is nice but not nearly as critical.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I brought the traffic pattern issue up to garmin at Oshkosh and they have yet to do anything about it. It's a serious issue in my opinion that they seem to be ignoring.

My GPS signal was unavailable on both devices today. Usually it works no problem. What gives today?

Something cool I just discovered.

I can set my flight simulator PC (running XP and Flight Simulator 2004) to host a bluetooth serial port - COM3.

I then configure the flight simulator (using GPSOut by Peter Dowson) to send three different GPS sentences out via COM3 twice a second at 57600 bps.

I then just pair my Nexus 7 with the flight simulator PC, and in Garmin pilot go to the settings, external gps tab, and connect to the simulator PC.

BAM! When I fly my simulator, I get the sim position on Garmin Pilot. SafeTaxi charts work too. No wires, no fuss.

This is NOT possible on the iPad version because the iPad doesn't support Bluetooth Serial Port Profile devices. Nothing against the iPad, but that's a STUPID decision by Apple in the software area. No fuss, no muss, no rooting my Nexus, no hacking needed on the tablet at all.

I love having my electronic flight bag interface to my simulator. And it makes it very cool to be able to demo the Garmin pilot features without burning any AvGas.
It may not be possible on the iPad Garmin Pilot but it is possible on the iPad Foreflight with X-Plane:
http://www.x-plane.com/2012/08/foreflight-charts-supported-in-x-plane-10-10-beta-9/

For those who own or have owned the iPad version and the Nexus 7 with the Garmin app: how much difference is there in how the Garmin Pilot works on each unit? I like the iPad version a lot, but find it pretty large for the cockpit. I had held out hopes that the iPad mini would have been priced a bunch lower. Now that you fine folks made me aware of the Nexus, I would like to consider it.

Also, do you believe the Nexus will offer a 64 Gb version in the future. Believe it or not, I have over 52 Gbs of "stuff" on my iPad!

Does the iPad version of Pilot app have any pattern direction identified? (besides on the sectional)

For those who own or have owned the iPad version and the Nexus 7 with the Garmin app: how much difference is there in how the Garmin Pilot works on each unit? I like the iPad version a lot, but find it pretty large for the cockpit. I had held out hopes that the iPad mini would have been priced a bunch lower. Now that you fine folks made me aware of the Nexus, I would like to consider it.

Also, do you believe the Nexus will offer a 64 Gb version in the future. Believe it or not, I have over 52 Gbs of "stuff" on my iPad!

The biggest difference is the pseudo panel and a few other small things. I think they'll be migrating most features to the 7.

No word on 64G. Just keep your iPad and dedicate Nexus to Pilot. Problem solved!

For Garmin Pilot owners... New release just went up on the App Store today for the Apple products. They fixed the disappearing chart issue!

The biggest difference is the pseudo panel and a few other small things. I think they'll be migrating most features to the 7.

No word on 64G. Just keep your iPad and dedicate Nexus to Pilot. Problem solved!

I wonder if the ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot will fit on one 32 Gb Nexus unit. Got me thinking now. I started with ForeFlight and still like it because of the auto routing feature and the fact that you can put multiple items on the map (like TFRs and radar). Garmin currently limits you to one item. I like the Garmin because it mimics the GPS I am having installed in the plane.

I wonder if the ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot will fit on one 32 Gb Nexus unit. Got me thinking now. I started with ForeFlight and still like it because of the auto routing feature and the fact that you can put multiple items on the map (like TFRs and radar). Garmin currently limits you to one item. I like the Garmin because it mimics the GPS I am having installed in the plane.

Non issue since ForeFlight is not on Androids.

Something cool I just discovered.

I can set my flight simulator PC (running XP and Flight Simulator 2004) to host a bluetooth serial port - COM3.

I then configure the flight simulator (using GPSOut by Peter Dowson) to send three different GPS sentences out via COM3 twice a second at 57600 bps.

I then just pair my Nexus 7 with the flight simulator PC, and in Garmin pilot go to the settings, external gps tab, and connect to the simulator PC.

BAM! When I fly my simulator, I get the sim position on Garmin Pilot. SafeTaxi charts work too. No wires, no fuss.

This is NOT possible on the iPad version because the iPad doesn't support Bluetooth Serial Port Profile devices. Nothing against the iPad, but that's a STUPID decision by Apple in the software area. No fuss, no muss, no rooting my Nexus, no hacking needed on the tablet at all.

I love having my electronic flight bag interface to my simulator. And it makes it very cool to be able to demo the Garmin pilot features without burning any AvGas.

Sounds amazing!

I'm a student pilot myself and will be getting a Nexus 7 for my birthday here in a couple of weeks. I was wondering how I could play around with the various aviation apps (especially the Garmin Pilot) when I came across your post.

I did have a quick question, would the same setup (Nexus + BT connection to PC + Garmin Pilot) work with the newer MS Flight Simulator X? Have you tried it with any others?

I have the FSX Gold version and was hoping that I'd be able to do a similar setup to yours.

Sounds amazing!

I'm a student pilot myself and will be getting a Nexus 7 for my birthday here in a couple of weeks. I was wondering how I could play around with the various aviation apps (especially the Garmin Pilot) when I came across your post.

I did have a quick question, would the same setup (Nexus + BT connection to PC + Garmin Pilot) work with the newer MS Flight Simulator X? Have you tried it with any others?

I have the FSX Gold version and was hoping that I'd be able to do a similar setup to yours.

FSX Gold Edition works great with the exact setup you're describing (Tablet + BT + Garmin Pilot). I have done this many times. You need FSUIPC4 installed in FSX to send the location info out a COM port.

FYI - There was a Garmin Pilot update (2.1.4) for Android released yesterday.

FYI - There was a Garmin Pilot update (2.1.4) for Android released yesterday.

Thanks for the head's up. I hope it fixes the force closure issue.

That's another nit to pick with Garmin. I've got the app set for "automatic updating" and it NEVER automatically updates. I always have to go to the Play Store, select "Downloaded apps", and see if there's an update.

Dunno if that's a Garmin or a Google glitch... :confused:

Thanks for the head's up. I hope it fixes the force closure issue.

That's another nit to pick with Garmin. I've got the app set for "automatic updating" and it NEVER automatically updates. I always have to go to the Play Store, select "Downloaded apps", and see if there's an update.

Dunno if that's a Garmin or a Google glitch... :confused:

I don't have this problem, it maybe a setting on the device and not the app itself.

Is anyone able to receive FIS-B radar while connected to the GDL39? I get FIS-B radar on my Ipad, but not on my android tablet while running side by side.

Radar works great connected to wifi, but not from ADS-B.

Is there a setting I am missing? Ia m on 2.1.4 build 525.

Thanks.

Is anyone able to receive FIS-B radar while connected to the GDL39? I get FIS-B radar on my Ipad, but not on my android tablet while running side by side.

Radar works great connected to wifi, but not from ADS-B.

Is there a setting I am missing? Ia m on 2.1.4 build 525.

Thanks.

Works for me.

Well, I should say it WORKED for me, last time I flew near any sort of precip. Or, in my case, when I was near false returns. lol

Works for me.

Well, I should say it WORKED for me, last time I flew near any sort of precip. Or, in my case, when I was near false returns. lol

Jay - Do you know if you were using version 2.1.4?

Does anyone know where Garmin gets their weather data from? I notice that my home airport (KHZR), which has on-field weather, is properly reported in Avare, but there is no weather information for KHZR inside of Garmin Pilot on Android.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where Garmin gets there weather data from? I notice that my home airport (KHZR), which as on-field weather, is properly reported in Avare, but there is no weather information for KHZR inside of Garmin Pilot on Android.

How strange. Even little bitty Port Aransas (Mustang Beach Airport) appears on mine.

FYI: with today's update, we're now up to Ver. 2.1.5 (22).

Haven't flown with it yet.

Hi Jay, & all U Nexus7 guys...
Merry Christmas to all!
Getting my BD present this week... N7 32gb... Never used garmin pilot at all on my galaxyIII, & will set up on the Nexus. Any place i can get some good directives on set up & use? I'm just over 1900hrs. VFR. I'm based at KFXE, S. florida, so lots of trips to the Bahamas are my usual flights;)...
Any good directions are appreciated.
Capt.Gary

Hi Jay, & all U Nexus7 guys...
Merry Christmas to all!
Getting my BD present this week... N7 32gb... Never used garmin pilot at all on my galaxyIII, & will set up on the Nexus. Any place i can get some good directives on set up & use? I'm just over 1900hrs. VFR. I'm based at KFXE, S. florida, so lots of trips to the Bahamas are my usual flights;)...
Any good directions are appreciated.
Capt.Gary

Just install, go to downloads and pick the charts you need and you're good to go.

Back