Garmin GX simulator

jssmith.lh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Goldthwaite flyer
I've started renting a plane with a GX60. I've been flying behind a g400 series so somewhat familiar with the buttonology/knobology. I used the 4xx simulator extensively and found a simulator on the Garmin site for the GXx series. Problem is I can't get it to install on my Win7 SP 1 machine. I tried running in compatibility mode down to NT with no luck. It shows in the process list but no window pops up. Any one had success installing this guy with my level operating system? I hate running that 300 hp just to do GPS familiarization.....
Thanks!

Run it in a virtual machine? Of course, that means you'll have to dig up a copy of Windows 95 from somewhere. And assuming 24 years of Moore's law, you might have to slow it down to 1/4096th speed.

Well, I figured since it came out late 90's it would run under NT compatibility. Silly me. Just wonder if Garmin "poisoned the well" with the demise of the unit :cool:

Any GX can be put in simulation mode by removing it from the aircraft and making up a connector with a 12v input and ground to the appropriate pins. Nothing else required. Pinout is available in the downloadable IM. Play with it on your bench and get the feel of it before you plug it back into your airplane.

Back