Garmin GTX 320A adaptor

moto657

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
moto657
My Narco AT50 transponder bit the dust the other day.

I am trying to find a Garmin P/N 011-00292-00 adaptor. It allows a GTX-320A to slide directly into the existing Narco tray.

Does anyone have one or a potential source for one? I've been to the end of the Internet the last couple of days trying to find one.

a potential source for one?
Look for shops that repair the 320A and give them a call. It's more a specialty item than a stock item. Or give Garmin a call.

My Narco AT50 transponder bit the dust the other day.

I am trying to find a Garmin P/N 011-00292-00 adaptor. It allows a GTX-320A to slide directly into the existing Narco tray.
Look for an AT165 instead. It's digital solid state. I think I saw one for sale for a reasonable price on Facebook the other day. Just make sure you get the AT50 version because they also made them in KT76 and ARC (Cessna) slide-in versions.

Look for shops that repair the 320A and give them a call. It's more a specialty item than a stock item. Or give Garmin a call.

Yeah, I'll start calling around on Monday. Garmin no longer makes the adaptors so I don't expect they would be much help.

Look for an AT165 instead. It's digital solid state. I think I saw one for sale for a reasonable price on Facebook the other day. Just make sure you get the AT50 version because they also made them in KT76 and ARC (Cessna) slide-in versions.

That is an option. I've heard the screen can be problematic and those units are basically unrepairable.

If I can't find the adaptor my choices will be an AT150 or AT165.

Maybe try this shop. They state only a King adapter in stock but at least they list your adapter by P/N.

They have a great website, and very high prices! This is where I first found out about the adaptor. Will definitely be giving them a call.

I've heard the screen can be problematic and those units are basically unrepairable.
The AT165 has 2 screens and has a reversionary mode so that if one fails you can continue using the non-failed one (not that it's a good idea to do so as a long term solution). The rest of it is mostly standard off-the-shelf parts so if the weird stuff is still working, someone should be able to repair it.

Late last night a Garmin GTX327 with a Narco adapter showed up on eBay. For sale from an avionics shop, it was tested and tagged. I bought the set up for $575.

I feel like it's a good deal for a more modern and reliable plug and play set up.

The Garmin Narco adapters are tough to find. I called/emailed a bunch of the bigger avionics shops around the US and nobody had one. I was watching eBay close, and jumped on it quick when it showed up last night.

The GTX-327 and adaptor showed up early! Scheduled for Oct 15, then Oct 12, and showed up today at 12PM. Awesome for free shipping from the east to west coast.

It slid into the Narco tray and fired right up. Nice to have the Pressure Alt display so you know the encoder is doing its job.
attachment.php

It also has a flight time read out as well as a count up and count down timer.
attachment.php
attachment.php

With the installation manual it was pretty easy to cycle through all of the set up menus and get it configured properly for my plane. I set the Flight timer up so it will start automatically when I take off. I checked my skybeacon with the app and its receiving the squawk code properly. Now I just need to get the biannual transponder inspection and log book entries done. I think I'll get the 2 old Morrow GPS units out so the sign off and W&B can all get done at once. They still work OK, but there are no more updates available and they are way out of date. Really just dead weight with my iPad running foreflight and an iPhone for backup display and GPS.
attachment.php

Is the adaptor for the 320A the same as the adaptor for the GTX-327?

Back