Garmin GNC 300xl... is it worth it?

DwayneSmithUSMC

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DwayneSmithUSMC
Hello. I'm just finishing up my IFR rating and have no GPS in my aircraft. Is installing a GNC300xl worth it? Please share your experience with this gps as I'd like some insight. Ideally, I'd like a 530W but that's just not feasible right now.

Can you do the labor yourself? If so, maybe. If not, no.

Even if you do it yourself, you can't use it for IFR without certification, which is possible, but a pain.

Even if you do it yourself, you can't use it for IFR without certification, which is possible, but a pain.

Meh, it's really not. It's mostly a paperwork exercise with the FSDO. I went through it recently for my airplane.

Thanks for the input everyone. This forum never fails.

I have one and like it but be warned, Garmin has orphaned it, thus if it goes down, it's a boat anchor. Even if you do quite a bit of work yourself, you'll still have a substantial investment in it and that'd be a lot of money to spend for a boat anchor.

YES it's worth it! going through the certification process now.. it will take a little while but it's worth it to me!

I've seen the 400W available several times on Beechtalk for $2500. That's a hell of a bargain if you've already got a decent nav/com setup and room to add another box to the panel. The "trouble" is the damn indicators cost $1500.

I've seen the 400W available several times on Beechtalk for $2500. That's a hell of a bargain if you've already got a decent nav/com setup and room to add another box to the panel. The "trouble" is the damn indicators cost $1500.

If by indicators you mean the switching solenoid and annunciators, you're right. I have a gx50 which I like a lot, but WAAS ADS-B position sensor issues are push coming to shove and it may have to go. Used 12v solenoids and annunciators for the 400w seem to be like hens teeth, and to buy new you might as well go with a 430w.

The 300XL has a terrific COMM Radio in it.

Back