Is it worth installing a 300xl?

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
I have been thinking about a panel mount GPS. The 430's are more than I want to spend. The 300xl works for me, but Garmin has stopped repair service. Does anyone else fix thse units? Is it worth going to the trouble of installing one?

I don't think it's worth the labor costs to install, even if you got the unit for free. It's no longer supported, and you'll spend a few thousand to install and IFR certify it.

Depends on the deal you get, I wouldn't shy away from one.

The 300xl works for me, but Garmin has stopped repair service.

Really? I just sent mine in a couple of months ago because it completely died. Literally just a couple of months ago...July or August. I guess I had good timing for a change.

I like mine...it does what I need. It'd be nice to have a WAAS unit but I have a glideslope receiver.

I had a 300 (no moving map) and absoloutly loved it. It was easy to install, had a nice mid continent indicator, and annuciator panel. very user friendly. and takes up about the same space as a kx125, and is approach certified.
I don't know if you can still get updates for it or not. But as stated above Garmin has ended support for it.

I had a 300 (no moving map) and absoloutly loved it. It was easy to install, had a nice mid continent indicator, and annuciator panel. very user friendly. and takes up about the same space as a kx125, and is approach certified.
I don't know if you can still get updates for it or not. But as stated above Garmin has ended support for it.

Updates :lol:

Jepp will always support things, doesn't cost them much to regurgitate free govt data on these cards.

image.jpg

See this is the problem with Garmin for me. I am happy with the older unit capabilities, but garmin stops supporting them and will not allow anyone else to repair them, so it is either get the new gizmo filled unit that often does a worse job than the older unit or get nothing. Even though the 430W is still supported in the long run does it even make sense to get a used 430w for $7500 plus install?

See this is the problem with Garmin for me. I am happy with the older unit capabilities, but garmin stops supporting them and will not allow anyone else to repair them, so it is either get the new gizmo filled unit that often does a worse job than the older unit or get nothing. Even though the 430W is still supported in the long run does it even make sense to get a used 430w for $7500 plus install?

Seems like they support things just fine, they'll also fix a non WAAS unit, someone on here said their 300 was recently fixed.

Forced obsolescence...just like American made cars in the 80's.

It worked so well then.

There is a repair shop not too far from here that I think can repair it. A quick phone call can confirm one way or the other. They do other (orphaned) nav/coms.
Thing is, most folks want to just replace the whole board with the bad component. When that board is no longer available, they deem it irreparably damaged. This shop will replace the bad components on the board. And they do a very good job of it as well.

Seems like they support things just fine, they'll also fix a non WAAS unit, someone on here said their 300 was recently fixed.

If you look at the Garmin website, as of 9/15, the 300xl is no longer supported. No more parts. No more parts? Garmin can't get parts?, really?

There is a repair shop not too far from here that I think can repair it. A quick phone call can confirm one way or the other. They do other (orphaned) nav/coms.
Thing is, most folks want to just replace the whole board with the bad component. When that board is no longer available, they deem it irreparably damaged. This shop will replace the bad components on the board. And they do a very good job of it as well.

The problem with repairing certified avionics like a GPS is that you can't do so without the service/repair manual. As I understand it, Garmin won't provide anyone with service or repair manuals, so it effectively prevents anyone else from doing the work.

Could you make that phone call, please?

The problem with repairing certified avionics like a GPS is that you can't do so without the service/repair manual. As I understand it, Garmin won't provide anyone with service or repair manuals, so it effectively prevents anyone else from doing the work.

That's my understanding as well. It's nice when you have a virtual monopoly.

How 'bout you make the call: Clairmont Skyland 888-813-4873

How 'bout you make the call: Clairmont Skyland 888-813-4873

A TV repair shop? Unless they happen to also have a repair station certificate, I don't think that's going to be much help...

A TV repair shop? Unless they happen to also have a repair station certificate, I don't think that's going to be much help...
They do more than just repair TVs.

I did a few years ago, a 300, no XL. Got the radio for about $1200, another $800 for an indicator and annunciator, messed around on the installation myself and and horsetraded for a sign-off of it. Yes it's an antique but i went from /A to /G for <$2500 which seems like a good deal to me.

messed around on the installation myself and and horsetraded for a sign-off of it.

This is probably what made it even remotely economical :) If you're paying full shop labor rates...:no:

Are you suggesting they are a certified repair station? Because a search of the FAA repair station database doesn't show one.
No I'm not. I'm suggesting that they may be able to repair one (300xl) and a phone call to them can confirm one way or the other.

I did a few years ago, a 300, no XL. Got the radio for about $1200, another $800 for an indicator and annunciator, messed around on the installation myself and and horsetraded for a sign-off of it. Yes it's an antique but i went from /A to /G for <$2500 which seems like a good deal to me.

$2500 for a /G. Not shabby

$2500 for a /G. Not shabby
Thanks, I thought it was a good deal and maybe someday as more NDB's get turned off it will be worthwhile, but I have to say that for flying around in the midwest US even that amount is a waste as far as actually enabling trips, getting better routings, etc. it just doesn't make any difference in this part of the country. You can still go in a straight line anywhere you want equipped as /A.

No, everything about it at this point will make it disappointing and cost ineffective. This is from a former 300XL owner and user.

• Garmin dropping support is almost enough to drive the decision.
  • Non-WAAS approaches work fine but not worth the $$$ and effort compared to WAAS capability.
  • /G capability can practically be ignored.
  • You'll want FF on an iPad, perhaps with Stratus ADSB anyway. Just get that and depend on ILS and non-GPS non precision approaches.

It was my main IFR box up until 3 years ago but I depended on my G396 for everything except non-precision GPS approaches. It's slower than a G396, not that it means anything.

All points are debatable but you will be disappointed by this otherwise very fine box. Save the $$$ for another upgrade like a 430W or better.

It looks like the 300XL design is now 20 years old. I know that in the aviation world, that's hardly old, but in the electronics world, that's an eternity. Often, with stuff that old, several of the key components can only be had through new-old-stock. The LCD display is usually a good example. These are often custom-made and will have a limited run. They are repaired by taking a display off the shelf that has probably been collecting dust for 15+ years. The cost of starting up a run of parts is extremely high. There's no way they could justify remaking the part for anything that wouldn't approach the cost of a brand-new current navigator.

Part of the problem is that for these parts, there is no in-between. For mechanical parts, custom machined one-off parts can be made for high prices when mass production methods are too expensive for the volume. But for many electronic parts, that option does not exist, especially when the certification does not allow a substitution of more modern parts.

So, I get that we're frustrated with Garmin and other manufacturers, but the fancy features come with the expiration date attached. It's part of the pact with the devil for this level of functionality. It's not forced obsolescence, where it's a cynical move on the part of the manufacturer. It's real obsolescence, where the part just cannot be made reasonably anymore.

Even though the 430W is still supported in the long run does it even make sense to get a used 430w for $7500 plus install?

I wouldn't pay over $4.5k for one with tray and new connector kit. These things were only $10k new and now they are a decade old.

Assuming you did get a 430w installed, now you'll be rewiring and reracking for a GTN650 or pay the premium $$$ for an IFD to fit the existing tray.

(Just go GTN)

Last edited:
Back