Garmin GDL82

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
Under $2000.00 and uses your current transponder. Only 978 mhz as of now and no mention of wifi connection...
I wonder if the faa will let navworx off the mat now...:O

Chris

Under $2000.00 and uses your current transponder. Only 978 mhz as of now and no mention of wifi connection...
I wonder if the faa will let navworx off the mat now...:O

Chris

There would be no need for WiFi or Bluetooth as it will not receive ADS-B, it is a an ADS-B out only device (with the GPS receiver to do it).

Would someone in the know regarding ADS-B out mind explaining what you will not get with this option?

As I understand it, this would meet the minimum requirement of squitting out a certified GPS location.

If you then have a completely different ADS-B IN device (Stratus, GDL39) will you still see ADS-B traffic, other traffic, weather, etc?

As long as it is configured correctly you will receive ADS-B traffic. Of course all other ADS-B in data will be received regardless of configuration.

Not sure 978 is "squitting" but yes the 82 meets the ADS-B out requirement when installed and configured correctly. Of course 978 is legal up to 18,000 feet so if that altitude is a limit then ya gotta go 1090. 1090 was squitting before squitting was cool...

Thanks for the info!

So, if a person wanted a "budget" non-IFR Garmin ADS-B IN/OUT solution they could buy this GDL82 and buy the GDL39. Ideally get the GDL39 that is just the box and wired to ships power. If the GDL82 has a street price of $1800, then the two combined would be around $2500 before any additional parts and of course labor. That solution would really work for me. The iPad or Android can be used to visualize wx & traffic and the panel would still look the same with minimal wiring changes or moves. I guess the weird part would be where the antennae for the non-dash mounted GDL39 would be mounted as I am guessing the GDL39 can only take in GPS via its antennae.

Thanks for the info!

So, if a person wanted a "budget" non-IFR Garmin ADS-B IN/OUT solution they could buy this GDL82 and buy the GDL39. Ideally get the GDL39 that is just the box and wired to ships power. If the GDL82 has a street price of $1800, then the two combined would be around $2500 before any additional parts and of course labor. That solution would really work for me. The iPad or Android can be used to visualize wx & traffic and the panel would still look the same with minimal wiring changes or moves. I guess the weird part would be where the antennae for the non-dash mounted GDL39 would be mounted as I am guessing the GDL39 can only take in GPS via its antennae.
A GDL39 might need remote antenna if it isn't setting on the glare shield. The GDL82 will need a GPS antenna if a compatible certified WAAS GPS source isn't available. With those things in mind that system would work.

Thanks for the info!

I would wait and see what iLevil Beacon is doing for certification

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gdl 39 would need both a gps antenna and a ads-b antenna. The gdl 39 may be buried under the panel and relatively inexpensive rg400 may be run between the gdl 39 and its ads-b antenna in the recommended belly location. Of course it has a few feet recommended separation from vhf antennas. When I put one in our RV, I ran rg400 through the firewall and mounted the ads-b antenna to the motor mount towards the bottom just forward firewall with good results. Of course the RV has a composite cowling; a metal cowling would require external mounting. I put the gps antenna on the glareshield.

Back