Garmin G5 *will* drive other brand A/Ps

The cost of a G500 retrofit & install is so high most of us with older airframes won't even contemplate it. But if the plane is one of the many already equipped with a GNS or GTN navigator, like your 182, the G5 and replacement autopilot starts to look interesting, especially for anyone regularly flying IFR.

On another forum I asked the Garmin rep (Steve) what the cost of a setup would be that he had posted a pic of. He gave me the price not including the GPS if you didn't have one. Here is the post and pic. His price does not include the GTN650 but does include the autopilot and both G5s. $12,119 retail without installation costs. Street price could be lower.

Yes, the GFC 500 autopilot system shown with GTN 650 is one example of a fully functioning system capable of performing just about any mission including legal single navigator IFR enroute and LPV/ILS instrument approaches.

The GFC 500 system is inherently capable of following all navigation guidance from the GTN including roll steering, so GPSS capability is included at no extra charge. When you see curved paths and holding patterns for instrument approaches shown on the GTN moving map, you can be assured that the autopilot will follow that path guidance.

The GFC 500 autopilot for C172 is expected to be $6,995 and the dual G5 setup with GMU11 and GAD29 is $5,124 if you don't already have 1 or more G5 units.

QEPe0AR.png

It's interesting that you can replace the AI and DG/HSI, but it only functions as a secondary: airspeed indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator, so you have to keep those steam gauges.

But the one interesting little bit I got from an executive at one of the largest Garmin dealers on the west coast is that the new Garmin autopilots will only interface with the G5, and not the G500/G600 glass panels.

Looks to me the half-life of the G500/600 just went down considerably.

The GFC500 requires a G5. The GFC600 can work with G5, Aspen, or G500/G600.

If it really can interface with my Century III, that has just removed the last reason not to install a G5.

The key bit is that the G5 does not supply anything to third-party autopilots except heading and course deviation. While they say my KFC150 is supported, the G5 does NOT have an attitude pickoff, so I'd still need the spinny KI-256 gyro. :(

I'm sure when the phrase "will drive other manufacturers autopilots" is finally defined, there will be both happy and dissapointed customers. To me there are a lot of variables here that have yet to be nailed down.

Same as above. I was elated at first and was going to install dual G5s... But now we're going to leave the autopilot and instruments alone for now and wait a year or two to see how the market responds. Should Garmin certify the G3X Touch and have it be price-competitive with the Dynon, we'll tear all that out and put it in. If Garmin decides to stick to the expensive end of the market, we'll have to go with Dynon.

That being said, I'm extreemly interested in the G5s and GFC500 for a 182 that already has a GTN.

It's quite an upgrade in capability for a lower price than we've ever seen. Anyone who has or is buying a GTN and has an older/inop/no autopilot should strongly consider it.

We're in a great spot. We'll do the GTN and GTX and just wait on the gyros.

If a vacuum pump or gyro barfs, grab a G5 or two. Not enough hard IMC around here to rush the G5 part.

If we find ourselves flush with cash, maybe pop for the new A/P by then. I doubt we'll have a gyro or pump go Tango Uniform before there's a lot more info out on the G5 and the A/P.

And who knows who'll come up with something else nifty by then.

The Dynon is neat, but it still isn't worth a quarter of the value of the airframe plus engine. Or more than half of the value of the airframe with a run out engine.

Kinda what we're planning too.

If a vacuum pump or gyro barfs, grab a G5 or two.

Sadly, because of the lack of the attitude pickoff, we're stuck with the KI-256 or an autopilot replacement. So, probably off to Wentworth until better options are available.

The Dynon is neat, but it still isn't worth a quarter of the value of the airframe plus engine. Or more than half of the value of the airframe with a run out engine.

Part of the reason this is such an exciting time is the number of options that have become available recently. A G1000 doesn't make sense unless you have a King Air or a jet. A G500/G600 makes sense in the high end of the market (SETs or late-model cabin class aircraft mainly). A Dynon/G3X touch makes sense in the high-performance later-model single market, and a G500 or two in the mid-range market. All of a sudden, there's something for just about everyone.

If a vacuum pump or gyro barfs, grab a G5 or two. Not enough hard IMC around here to rush the G5 part.
If we find ourselves flush with cash, maybe pop for the new A/P by then. I doubt we'll have a gyro or pump go Tango Uniform before there's a lot more info out on the G5 and the A/P.

I would wire the GTN's ARINC 429s and several extra RS232s, cap & stowed, in anticipation of future equipment. Problem is that it is not easy to get a complete picture when some equipment you may end up buying doesn't even exist yet.

I would wire the GTN's ARINC 429s and several extra RS232s, cap & stowed, in anticipation of future equipment. Problem is that it is not easy to get a complete picture when some equipment you may end up buying doesn't even exist yet.

Yeah. Luckily it isn't a Piper panel and getting behind it isn't terrible. :)

I agree. Just did my first IFR flight with the G5 and very soon into the flight it was second nature. Waas'ing the 530/430 and installing the GTX345 in 2 weeks then going to sit nice and quiet and wait for the garmin/dynon/whoever to get a good autopilot STC'ed for me then move forward. I'm hoping for the GFC500 with the twin G5's...talked to Garmin and they said it's still on the table for the non-pressurized less than 6000lb twins. Good time to be in our position.

IMG_3876.JPG

I agree. Just did my first IFR flight with the G5 and very soon into the flight it was second nature. Waas'ing the 530/430 and installing the GTX345 in 2 weeks then going to sit nice and quiet and wait for the garmin/dynon/whoever to get a good autopilot STC'ed for me then move forward. I'm hoping for the GFC500 with the twin G5's...talked to Garmin and they said it's still on the table for the non-pressurized less than 6000lb twins. Good time to be in our position.

View attachment 55382
Nice panel. Does the G5 have airspeed and altitude bugs?

Nice panel. Does the G5 have airspeed and altitude bugs?
Thank you. It's getting there. I got thrown a curve ball by needing to overhaul both props. Now that's all taken care of I can finish off my last couple things: WAAS, 345 and engine monitor.

The G5 does have heading and altitude bugs that are easy to set. The airspeed is configurable to display whatever you want on the tape (i.e. green arc, white arc, Vyse, Va, etc). As soon as I get the boxes WAAS'ed it will also display a CDI and VDI nicely on the side and bottom while shooting approaches.

Back