Garmin G5 simulator

Tom-Flying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Hi,

Is anyone aware of a good G5 simulator to help familiarize a pilot transitioning from a six pack to all digital?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tom

G5 isn’t all digital, only replaces AI and HSI, still need the other 4.

All digital screens are basically the same with standardized format. Any flight simulator should have a full digital panel.

The only decent one I've seen is the VFlyteAir Arrow for x-plane.

Absent that, I suggest this video. It's on my channel but it isn't mine. I came across it off YouTube and liked it so much, I asked for permission to load it. I do avionics transition training (which is why I collect these) and it's required viewing.

This is X-plane, with the Air Manager add-on doing the instruments. We've set the panel up to match the one in our R182. The smaller screen is a touchscreen, and the keystrokes for the G5s, the GFC500, and the interaction between them are spot on. It's an amazing learning tool, but getting here is not for the faint of heart.

Jim
IMG_1094.jpeg

Hi,

Is anyone aware of a good G5 simulator to help familiarize a pilot transitioning from a six pack to all digital?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tom
I started training in a 6 pak 172, then the school got a G1000 172 that I flew a bit. Real glad I received a little G1000 time training. Which made transitioning to the G5 easy.
Even without G1000 time don't be afraid of the G5s.
If you can't get much/any simulator time then get a CFI to go up with you first flight. I feel after one flight you will be proficient enough to learn on your own very quickly. They are great instruments that make our flying better, safer and easier.
My panel, just flew it to 1000hrs yesterday. Got a new hobbs when this panel went in so it is easy to track how many hours on the G5 and what the whole panel has on it.
IMG_2285.JPG

Last edited:
I don’t get why dual G5s aren’t approved to replace all of the flight instruments. By now there is ample evidence of their safety and reliability.

I don’t get why dual G5s aren’t approved to replace all of the flight instruments. By now there is ample evidence of their safety and reliability.

You mean like the pricier GI-275?

I think you will find the transition to dual G5s pretty seamless in terms of scan. The most clumsy part (for me) was learning to use and read the tapes instead of scanning the separate altimeter and airspeed. Once you do this, your IFR scan becomes highly compact and focused on the G5s and the TC. The CDI transition is very easy--you have one on both the AI and the HSI. A source of annoyance will be the fact that is is unlikely that your analog altimeter will agree with your altitude tape on the G5. They can/will both be compliant, but not exactly the same. The final little gotcha is configuring the G5 with your autopilot, depending on what you have. Both the autopilot and the G5 have to be put in the correct mode (for legacy A/P units the A/P in heading mode and the G5 AI in GPSS mode) for things to work like you expect. A little mis-step here with the heading bug out of place will lead to the aircraft doing something totally unexpected until you figure out which button is mis-configured.

The most clumsy part (for me) was learning to use and read the tapes instead of scanning the separate altimeter and airspeed
That's standard for most everyone moving to glass. Best solution is a simple one. Use stickies to cover the analog instruments to avoid glancing at them. Dollar Tree periodically gets a stock of perfectly-sized round ones.

Once I set the altimeter setting on the G5, then I just match up my altimeter to the G5. Is that a bad habit? Like you said they are off from each other just a smidgin.

Once I set the altimeter setting on the G5, then I just match up my altimeter to the G5. Is that a bad habit? Like you said they are off from each other just a smidgin.

I’ve done it both ways and know CFIIs who teach both ways.

I don’t practically know what difference it makes since the encoder is sending pressure altitude rounded to the nearest hundred feet.

I think you will find the transition to dual G5s pretty seamless in terms of scan. The most clumsy part (for me) was learning to use and read the tapes instead of scanning the separate altimeter and airspeed. Once you do this, your IFR scan becomes highly compact and focused on the G5s and the TC. The CDI transition is very easy--you have one on both the AI and the HSI. A source of annoyance will be the fact that is is unlikely that your analog altimeter will agree with your altitude tape on the G5. They can/will both be compliant, but not exactly the same. The final little gotcha is configuring the G5 with your autopilot, depending on what you have. Both the autopilot and the G5 have to be put in the correct mode (for legacy A/P units the A/P in heading mode and the G5 AI in GPSS mode) for things to work like you expect. A little mis-step here with the heading bug out of place will lead to the aircraft doing something totally unexpected until you figure out which button is mis-configured.
Exactly! Once you get used to the G5s, your approaches will be a lot easier. All the info you need in a small compact area.
I once had to shoot an approach in a plane with a 6 pack after flying with G5s for a while and it was an eye opener.

Exactly! Once you get used to the G5s, your approaches will be a lot easier. All the info you need in a small compact area.
I once had to shoot an approach in a plane with a 6 pack after flying with G5s for a while and it was an eye opener.
Did you have an HSI in the six-pack or a DG+OBS?

Real Sim Gear has a dual G5 setup (that is $700). I'm of the opinion there's no substitute for turning knobs. Like most RSG "simulators", this is just a computer screen that you dock a simulator window into, so the quality depends on the quality of the sim program you're using.

For that much, I'd recommend getting an instructor and flying.

Section 1.6.1.5 of the Garmin G5 STC clearly states that the G5 is a secondary, not primary altimeter. So, even if both your mechanical and G5 altimeters are calibrated and compliant (mine are), the mechanical altimeter is still primary. By adjusting the mechanical altimeter to match the G5, you are essentially mis-adjusting your primary altimeter.

I just put up with the differences between the two altimeters, deferring to the G5 in cruise, but paying attention to the discrepancy between the mechanical altimeter and the G5 for approaches, deferring to the mechanical altimeter if it is indicating lower than the G5 for approach minimums. The difference is small but noticeable.

Great thread. I’ve had my dual G5s for a while now but have learned more in this thread than I have since they were installed

I can’t see the need for a simulator for a G5. It’s as basic as can be.

I did my primary training in a school 172 in both 6 paks and the G1000. The G1000 was available more so I flew it pretty much at the end of my training especially when one of the 6pak planes was down and they rented it at the 6pak rate. Glad I beat up a school plane learning how to land and not my own.Tthe G1000 was good experience also.
I got my own trainer 172 and updated the panel panel then started instrument training. One thing I learned about the G5 from my instructor was the wind vector diamond and how to use it. It was good training with the new panel.

I can’t see the need for a simulator for a G5. It’s as basic as can be.
True, but not for everyone.

Sometimes it's not the G5 itself but its relationship with other avionics. ESP button when coupled with a GFC500. Bearing pointers to display multiple nav sources displayed at one time.

Among the G5 airplanes at a local flight school are two 172s. One has a GTN650xi and GFC500. The other a GNX375 and no autopilot. The G5 functionality is different.

Note that the G5 pilots guide is only a few dozen pages. The device itself only has one button and 2 knobs.

Note that the G5 pilots guide is only a few dozen pages. The device itself only has one button and 2 knobs.
You mean one knob and 2 buttons.

Two knobs? @Salty beat me.

The left has a button which can manually turn the unit on and off and change backlighting. The one on the right is a single knob with push and turn functions.

Since I have a GFC500 I never use the knobs or buttons on the G5s The heading bug and altitude is set on the 507.

I do the same. I think that so longs as you do a reality check, it doesn't make any operational difference whether you are looking at the big hands or the Kollsman window.

I do the same. I think that so longs as you do a reality check, it doesn't make any operational difference whether you are looking at the big hands or the Kollsman window.
I like to set the altimeter setting the same in both windows. That way I know that I deliberately set them. If they are different numbers, then I know I forgot something. Different strokes for different folks.

I like to set the altimeter setting the same in both windows. That way I know that I deliberately set them. If they are different numbers, then I know I forgot something. Different strokes for different folks.
I agree it's just different strokes. But if you are saying there is an operational difference in flight, I'm not sure I agree.

You: Set baro glass, set baro analog, and look at both to confirm the settings and readouts match within acceptable tolerance (reality check).

Me: Set baro glass, set altitude analog, and look at both to confirm the settings and readouts match within acceptable tolerances (reality check).

The net difference is...?

I agree it's just different strokes. But if you are saying there is an operational difference in flight, I'm not sure I agree.

You: Set baro glass, set baro analog, and look at both to confirm the settings and readouts match within acceptable tolerance (reality check).

Me: Set baro glass, set altitude analog, and look at both to confirm the settings and readouts match within acceptable tolerances (reality check).

The net difference is...?
. . . I like to do it one way and not the other. Hence, different strokes. . . .

I think where it comes into play for me is when I change altimeter settings in flight because I have moved to another area with a different altimeter setting. After I have been flying a while, I can quickly glance and see if I changed both. Not sure it is functionally different. Just what I like to do.

. . . I like to do it one way and not the other. Hence, different strokes. . . .

I think where it comes into play for me is when I change altimeter settings in flight because I have moved to another area with a different altimeter setting. After I have been flying a while, I can quickly glance and see if I changed both. Not sure it is functionally different. Just what I like to do.
This. Then you know with a certainty if the altimeters have been properly set after a handoff. The reality is if you match the mechanical altimeter to the G5, it likely won't be matched at another altitude, as the differential errors may not be linear or scale similarly with pressure altitude.

We should all be doing that. Some including me just do it by matching altitude rather than the tiny gradations of the Kollsman. Just different paths to the same result.

Last edited:
If the AP is working off the G5, setting the G5 to the analog altimeter altitude setting would be more correct.

Back