Garmin G5’s versus Aspen E5

Dan Gordon

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dgplo
I’m looking at a panel upgrade. I know there are older threads but: Now that G5’s and the Aspen E5 have 4+ years of installs, checking to see what the current pros/cons of each are. Reliability, screen definition, install costs, etc.

I finally pulled the trigger on the E5. Getting installed this week. I personally dislike the dual G5 form factor, especially the tiny hsi. The E5 has a new high res display and is software upgradeable to the pro series including synthetic vision. But if you ever want a GFC500 you'll need a g5 - or a 275. If I were doing a new panel and AP again I'd seriously consider a g3x or dynon. Couldn't stomach the cost 2 years ago when I started my panel rebuild.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

How many hours install is the Aspen quoted for. Congrats on the purchase. I have a potential good deal on dual G5’s with harnesses used.

Hours depends on what you're interacting with it. Just into the panel with a GPS will be much shorter than if you are adding an ACU and EA100 for a legacy autopilot interface. Only 1 connector on an Aspen, so that does go pretty quick, about 20 hours if no autopilot in a C182 is what Aspen recommended.

Not doing an ACU for the SL30. But removing vac and standby vac.

No autopilot — just mating it with a GPS. I believe I can remove vacuum system as well — attitude indicator and directional gyro…Cherokee 140.

Yes an Aspen E5 will allow vacuum system removal. We quote 6 hours at our shop to fully remove the system and plumbing. Wiring it to your system would likely be 20-25 hours. A little more difficult than under the panel of a Cessna, but not terrible. I was 50 hours to install an E5, ACU to an STEC 30, and GNS-480 with new antenna, remove vacuum system and a KX-155. Had to reconfigure the center stack because the owner wanted to keep his other KX-155 and an old KLN-90.

It seems with these questions the individual planes vary so much, can be hard to compare the apples. I went with 2 G5’s about 3 years ago, no problems since. I do like how my heading is always on, no need to set the heading after start.

I had a dual charging port put in at the same time, very useful. My vacuum system is gone. I don’t have anything against Aspen. My panel is a mix of old & new, but it works for me.

I suspect for many it's just personal preference. I only see the surface operational differences when I fly with someone. I am a bit surprised Aspen hasn't adopted the "pink needles/green needles" convention as an visual indicator of CDI source.

I don't disagree with the apples/oranges comparison. From my perspective as installer, the Aspen is nice because it's only 1 connector plus pitot and static. If mounted in a "clean" area the RSM will start with no heading adjust either. Not saying it's better or worse than G5's, just another option.

Mark, the Aspens do so green or pink for heading source, or it should if all configured correctly. I've done a few of them, and they do.

Iv
I don't disagree with the apples/oranges comparison. From my perspective as installer, the Aspen is nice because it's only 1 connector plus pitot and static. If mounted in a "clean" area the RSM will start with no heading adjust either. Not saying it's better or worse than G5's, just another option.

Mark, the Aspens do so green or pink for heading source, or it should if all configured correctly. I've done a few of them, and they do.
I've never seen that in the times I've flown with one. Even the Aspen homepage shows this picture with green needles with GPS source. Same for the current E5 manual, with nothing in the manual, including the color code table, to suggest another option. Do you have a reference for one?

upload_2023-1-16_7-47-5.png

I'll have to dig in the book tomorrow at work. It's possible (probable?) that I'm mixing thoughts on the E5 and the Max. I will get back on with what I find then.

I have dual G5s. The Aspen was an option with my installer, but I went with the dual G5s. The installed cost was roughly equivalent, which included GPS and autopilot integration. A primary difference is dual G5s gives you additional redundancy. If one fails, the other (if necessary) can revert to an AI. In addition, the G5 backup batteries are good for 4 hours when new (longer than you would ever need in case of electrical failure) and are IFR legal if they have at least 25% ( 1 hour) capacity.

The G5s have been very reliable. I had early models, which had to go back for an idle backup battery drain fix. The updated G5s are much improved: the backup batteries are usually at 90-100% when I start up each time. New models come with this fix implemented.

I'll have to dig in the book tomorrow at work. It's possible (probable?) that I'm mixing thoughts on the E5 and the Max. I will get back on with what I find then.
Thanks. There is a magenta line on the HSI that appears when you use the left knob to set a course - pilot selectable parameters are generally coded magenta in the system, but AFAIK, the CDI is always green. OTOH, the Aspen is probably the PFD I'm least familiar with so one never knows.

I finally pulled the trigger on the E5. Getting installed this week. I personally dislike the dual G5 form factor, especially the tiny hsi. The E5 has a new high res display and is software upgradeable to the pro series including synthetic vision. But if you ever want a GFC500 you'll need a g5 - or a 275. If I were doing a new panel and AP again I'd seriously consider a g3x or dynon. Couldn't stomach the cost 2 years ago when I started my panel rebuild.

Let me know how you like flying behind the E5. I'm leaning that way as the the shops I've spoken to said the E5 hasn't been temperamental and is a reliable product. I like the form factor -- size, etc.

Late to get back, but you are correct Mark. Aspen is green for all nav modes. I might have been thinking of the active leg on the map, rather than the HSI information. I apologize if I caused any confusion.

Back