Garmin FlightStream 510 questions

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
If the flightStream 510 is purchased and inserted into a GTN 750, are there any logbook entry requirements?

We currently update the GTN 750 by switching out the datacards. When it is time to update the databases, do we just remove the 510, do insert the updated datacard, do the update, then replace the 510?

Aren't there some databases the GTNs keep on the card versus transferring them to internal storage? If yes, what are they? And does using the 510 keep us from making use of this data?

(pinging @texasag93 since he is a partner on the airplane that has the GTN 750. This way he can follow along with the conversation)

My understanding it was a pilot/owner logbook entry. It's a non-complex maintenance item.

If the flightStream 510 is purchased and inserted into a GTN 750, are there any logbook entry requirements?

We currently update the GTN 750 by switching out the datacards. When it is time to update the databases, do we just remove the 510, do insert the updated datacard, do the update, then replace the 510?

Aren't there some databases the GTNs keep on the card versus transferring them to internal storage? If yes, what are they? And does using the 510 keep us from making use of this data?

(pinging @texasag93 since he is a partner on the airplane that has the GTN 750. This way he can follow along with the conversation)

“Dealer install only” is Garnin’s official policy for certified aircraft. It’s not a bad policy if the dealer updates all the softwares at the same time and Airplane Flight Manual Supplements. If you buy one OTS from say Aircraft Spruce it may have outdated software on it.

From Garmin - The wireless connection enables Database Concierge wireless database transfer. At home, you can select individual databases (including Jeppesen® NavData or Garmin Navigation Database, Obstacle, Terrain, SafeTaxi®, FliteCharts®, Basemap and the AOPA Airport Directory) on the Garmin Pilot app, download them and then store them to your mobile device for later use. Once Flight Stream 510 establishes a wireless connection in the airplane, it transfers your up-to-date databases directly to the GTN in minutes, where they’ll wait in standby until their effective date.

From Garmin - The wireless connection enables Database Concierge wireless database transfer. At home, you can select individual databases (including Jeppesen® NavData or Garmin Navigation Database, Obstacle, Terrain, SafeTaxi®, FliteCharts®, Basemap and the AOPA Airport Directory) on the Garmin Pilot app, download them and then store them to your mobile device for later use. Once Flight Stream 510 establishes a wireless connection in the airplane, it transfers your up-to-date databases directly to the GTN in minutes, where they’ll wait in standby until their effective date.
Thanks for the reminder about the Concierge update feature...

But everyone in the club is a FF addict and I don't see the designated database updater human purchasing a copy of GP just to update the database.

But everyone in the club is a FF addict and I don't see the designated database updater human purchasing a copy of GP just to update the database.

Why not? I did.

Of course, I'm also generally the first person to fly after an update. But, having a GP sub whose login info could be shared with someone else would be handy in instances where someone is taking the plane on a trip across the database update time.

I would imagine that the answer to your question can be found in the GTN manual, or by experimenting with swapping cards, updating, and then swapping back.

Probably need to revisit GP and take note that the FREE version will do database updates as long as you have purchased databases...

Probably need to revisit GP and take note that the FREE version will do database updates as long as you have purchased databases...
ididnotknowthat.jpg

This is for if you do not decide to update via wifi. The 510 is also a 32GB memory card and should have came with it's own USB adapter. For some reason you have to use the adapter and cannot plug it into a card reader on a computer.

I would update via FS to prevent wearing out / breaking the card slot on $8k to $14k radio...

One trip to the mothership for repair pays for that FS...

Trying to remember, but I think there is a setting change within the software required at the time of "installation". You also have to be running a minimum software update for it to work, and unless you're experimental, a Garmin shop has to do that update. I mean, if you know how to on the DL and/or have someone that can get the software update, holler at your boy over here! ;)

I would update via FS to prevent wearing out / breaking the card slot on $8k to $14k radio...

One trip to the mothership for repair pays for that FS...

And getting the FS510 but doing database updates with a card might wear them both out! :eek:

I have a FS510 and the wireless database updates are perhaps my favorite feature. I have three units that would need card updates - 750, 650, G500 - and the convenience is terrific, plus I can do my updates anywhere there's a network. I love ForeFlight, but I'm happy to keep a (free) copy of Garmin Pilot around just for DB updates.

When you say "purchased databases" are you referring to purchase of nav data for a GTN for example? A free version for GTN users without FlightStream?

You must purchase databases for the GTNs, there is no way around it even if you buy the GP Premium, it doesn't include GTN databases. (note: the GTNs function fine on old databases if you don't care about it)

Now I'm messed up, this says you need at least the standard GP subscription to use the FS510 database concierge, that's $75 a year (first year is free with new FS510 purchase).
https://static.garmincdn.com/apps/fly/files/support/gtn-update/DBC_Guide_v3.pdf

I have a FS510 and the wireless database updates are perhaps my favorite feature. I have three units that would need card updates - 750, 650, G500 - and the convenience is terrific, plus I can do my updates anywhere there's a network. I love ForeFlight, but I'm happy to keep a (free) copy of Garmin Pilot around just for DB updates.

Can you confirm that the free version of GP does do database updates? I have never used it, just going by some published stuff and of course things may have changed since then.

Not sure if this is the confusing part, but if you have one of the bundle subscriptions for the GTN, they give you a free upgrade to GP Premium. Still have to pay for the base GP version and the data for the GTN.

Having said all that, the update via cards can be a pita on the GTN's. If the 510 cleans that up, it would be worth the $75. I have a 210, which can't do the database updates so I have to switch SD cards. I end up having to fully format the cards almost every time as the GTN gets confused (technical term) as to what data to update.

I'm pretty sure there is no free version of GP. The app is free to download, but there is an in-app subscription for it to do anything.

I have never had a problem updating the GTN database with the SD card. I've been pleased by how simple and trouble free it has been.

So...there is no free GP? Is that the consensus now?

You can download the app for free anytime... If you have a flygarmin account and buy GTN databases there, just enter that user name and password in the GP app and then you should be able to database updates wirelessly via FS510.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=n3ITKgarTF2tGVFewnSaj9

Last edited:
Can you confirm that the free version of GP does do database updates? I have never used it, just going by some published stuff and of course things may have changed since then.
I just checked - I have a database subscription only and that seems adequate to push updates into the aircraft via the FS510. It may be that my subscription included some of Garmin Pilot or was part of some special promotion, but only the DB functions seem to work. Certainly worth a call to Garmin to double check.

I just checked - I have a database subscription only and that seems adequate to push updates into the aircraft via the FS510. It may be that my subscription included some of Garmin Pilot or was part of some special promotion, but only the DB functions seem to work. Certainly worth a call to Garmin to double check.

If you can't navigate with the GP app then you have the free version. New FS510 purchases come with a coupon for 12 months free GP Premium which would be similar to FF with most of the add-on purchases.

I'm pretty sure with GP free version (even passed the trial period) can do concierge database updates.

But everyone in the club is a FF addict and I don't see the designated database updater human purchasing a copy of GP just to update the database

I have a GTN650, FS510, and use Garmin Pilot (as well as ForeFlight.)

When you buy the FS510, you'll get a free one-year subscription to GP.

After the year is up, you'll need to buy a subscription to keep using the Database Concierge feature. The cheapest available subscription is $75.

I guarantee that if you have the wherewithal to be able to afford a GTN750, a FS510, an airplane to install all that jazz in, and database updates for the GTN to boot, you will not mind the $75/yr. necessary to utilize Database Concierge.

The 510 is great for two-way flight plan transfer - that's why I bought it. But, Database Concierge is a strong competitor for first place.

You will literally not every have to think about updating your avionics again. You won't worry about effectivity dates. GP will just automatically download them for you in the background when they're available, and when you appear in the plane, the GTN will just suck them down wirelessly. It's the bomb!

Do it. Trust me on this. You will not regret it.

I guarantee that if you have the wherewithal to be able to afford a GTN750, a FS510, an airplane to install all that jazz in, and database updates for the GTN to boot, you will not mind the $75/yr. necessary to utilize Database Concierge.

Disagree. It certainly won't break the bank, but I absolutely do "mind" having to pay $75/yr for a bunch of stuff I don't use (ie the rest of Garmin Pilot) after spending over 40 grand on their hardware and buying the databases through them. IMO, the OnePak and PilotPak packages should automatically include GP.

I think they're merely trying to put the squeeze on ForeFlight. "Well, I have to pay 75 bucks a year for one or the other at least, and this one does what I need and I have to have it for my avionics anyway, so I don't need ForeFlight any more." IMO, it's pretty ****ty to hold people hostage over one feature.

Disagree. It certainly won't break the bank, but I absolutely do "mind" having to pay $75/yr for a bunch of stuff I don't use (ie the rest of Garmin Pilot) after spending over 40 grand on their hardware and buying the databases through them.

It costs me more in terms of the value of my time to worry about it, vs. paying the money.

Given that these are luxury items, expect to pay luxury prices.

Update on this: you now have to have a paid Garmin pilot subscription to use the upload capabilities of the flight stream 510.

Based on the behavior built-in Flightstream in a GNS175 I use, a Flightstream card or built-in interface works with both FF and GP for transferring flight plans to or from the iPad. However, only GP can push a new dataset to the navigator. So if using FF you still have to pull the card and put it in the computer. I am always on the cusp of forking over $1500 for the GTN650 so it too can have wireless flight plan transfer (I've never even seen GP having used FF since day 1), but the cost is just past defensible.

FF may be the best iPad app ever developed IMHO.

@Steamflyer is correct, ForeFlight cannot upload databases via FlightStream. A basic Garmin Pilot subscription is necessary...my only rub with my FS-510. I still like that wireless update capability and it is worth the additional $ for me. The ability for flightplan synchronization between my two Ipad mini's and the panel is great.

I use Foreflight and bought Garmin Pilot for Concierge updates of the Garmin databases to my G1000NXi via FS-510. The database package I buy also includes Garmin Pilot premium, so basically I have the full Garmin Pilot suite as a backup to my ForeFlight...

AFAIK you have to have the FS510 or FS210.
FS210 won't do DB updates, only move flight plans and adsb data.
510 has wifi which allows the bandwidth to move that much data.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the 210. I have a 510, and when it works, it is slick.

Back