Garmin Aera 760 released

i still don't get it..... compared with garmin pilot on a tablet (ipad or android)
other than the ipads being sensitive to overheating...what does this thing do?

It is robust. Won't overheat on the dash. It will drive an autopilot. It will interconnect with other products in the Garmin universe. All of that comes at a premium, but (like my 696) I'm sure it is a really solid product.

It is robust. Won't overheat on the dash. It will drive an autopilot. It will interconnect with other products in the Garmin universe.
It will also provide position data to your ELT, your NAVCOM radios and your engine monitor as well as tune your NAVCOM frequencies for you.

If you have it hooked up correctly, it will also draw your holds, procedure turns, etc.

It will also provide position data to your ELT, your NAVCOM radios and your engine monitor as well as tune your NAVCOM frequencies for you.

If you have it hooked up correctly, it will also draw your holds, procedure turns, etc.

Yep, it is an integrated, aviation dedicated product. I'd love to have one. OTOH, I do enjoy the value and ease of use of WingX on my phone, which is far less expensive with a far more flexible platform than a dedicated aviation device.

I always suggest that people buy/use what works best for them. There are users who wouldn't get much from a Garmin 760 and there are those for whom it would be a panacea.

I'll consider one when Airgizmos comes out with a panel mount for it. I haven't seen one yet though.

I'll consider one when Airgizmos comes out with a panel mount for it. I haven't seen one yet though.
From the AirGizmos homepage:
news_760.jpg

about that crow....

Decided to give the 760 a try, and I really like it. Its nice eliminating an extra wire from the cockpit, since I don't need the cooling mount for the iPad any more, and the screen really is easier to read in the bright sun. The purchase price is a little more palatable because I split it with my partner. It will also integrate very nicely with our upcoming panel upgrade. Trying to figure out how to get Jepp charts on it has so far managed to be quite tricky, but I think Garmin's IT woes as of late are contributing to this issue.

Also, I just figured out that you can link your 760 and your iPad via BT, and transfer flight plans back and forth either with Garmin Pilot or with Foreflight. That is kind of neat.

Is it possible to update the databases via microSD card?

So my Aera 760 is going back to Sporty’s Monday. I like the hardware, but there was just too much button pushing to get to things that were either on the screen with ForeFlight, or one button push away. It also doesn’t have a glide range ring like FF, which I consider a major safety asset. Last straw was the fact that I’d have to pay $200 just to have the ability to display Jepp charts on it, and I’d most likely have to pay for a subscription. I get them for free on ForeFlight via my employer. If the 760 was $700, I may have been able to get past its shortcomings, but it’s $1500, and just not worth that much.

Question for the Garmin gurus....

Does the Aera 760 have the ability to display the primary flight instruments? Looking for a solution for the back seat of a tandem seating Cub

Edited to add:
Yes it does, the Sporty’s website was much more helpful than the Garmin website.... Imagine that?

Last edited:
My Aera 660 (and by extension 760) is capable of being wired to my garmin radios to send them frequencies... Pretty badass for a VFR GPS.

My Aera 660 (and by extension 760) is capable of being wired to my garmin radios to send them frequencies... Pretty badass for a VFR GPS.

Does that include the Garmin 430w? Or just the more recent Garmin radios?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone else notice iPad overheating issues with Garmin Pilot seem to be improved? My mini used to get really hot in one spot on the back whenever I viewed the GP map. Happened within a few seconds after launching the map, and subsided almost as quickly when the map was minimized. Did this even when in a comfortable air conditioned room. Did not happen with any other app? Last week, after a recent GP update, I noticed the hot spot was no longer there. Perfectly cool.

Also, I just figured out that you can link your 760 and your iPad via BT, and transfer flight plans back and forth either with Garmin Pilot or with Foreflight. That is kind of neat.
Should be able to go from Aera 760 to 430W with the bluetooth also then? The iPad can do this via FF.

Thought I would share this in case anyone else has IFD(s) and a 275.

I have dual IFDs, dual G5s, and a single GI 275. An Aera 760 will show the active route from the IFDs through the bluetooth connection with the 275. Any changes to the route using the IFDs auto-syncs on the 760 after about 2 seconds. Very slick. This is one way only, IFD to 275 to 760 and I haven't been able to pass attitude or air data to the 760 from the 275.

I am thinking about adding a hardwired GDL 50 to display traffic and weather on the 760. The 760 won't use traffic and weather from non-garmin sources that I already have unfortunately so I would need another box.

I really like the bright display of the 760. Readable in all sunlight conditions. Yes, the menu structure is clunky, but it is usable after a learning period.

If anyone has hardwired an IFD directly to a 760 for route info, please share. I'd rather use the bluetooth for adsb data.

Thanks.

I would think passing the route updates to the aera over a wired connection would be possible. For a garmin nav, you would just set the serial output to aviation out and the aera serial input to aviation in (I think) but Mapmx is also an option. I see no reason the avidyne stuff would be any different; this is a core functionality. No reason to pass it through the 275.

Kind of surprised you cannot get ahrs data out of the 275 to the aera; interoperability is what you pay for with that thing over a g5.

I would think passing the route updates to the aera over a wired connection would be possible. For a garmin nav, you would just set the serial output to aviation out and the aera serial input to aviation in (I think) but Mapmx is also an option. I see no reason the avidyne stuff would be any different; this is a core functionality. No reason to pass it through the 275.

Kind of surprised you cannot get ahrs data out of the 275 to the aera; interoperability is what you pay for with that thing over a g5.

I agree with all. I need to dig and experiment further. Thanks

Old thread, but in case someone can benefit…

My airplane now has dual GI 275s and dual IFDs along with the panel mounted Aera 760.

I added a GDL 50R with its own external ADS-B antenna and hardwired it to the 760. Traffic and weather is now displayed on the 760 independent of the IFDs and the GDL also provides another attitude source for the 760 AI/synthetic vision page which I set as primary. I really like the traffic trend vector shown on the 760 for each target. I use that along with the straight ahead speed vector on the IFD to get a nice situational awareness of traffic.

I also had the 760 hardwired to my IFD for fight plan and course info. That feature really works well, including curved fight segments using the MapMX protocol. The syncing is IFD to 760 only, which is all I want or need.

I find the 760 to be a really nice Swiss Army knife MFD that is very robust through the hardwire connection for power, attitude, course, and ads-b data. It acts more like a bright built-in panel display unit than a portable device. I am not a fan of the Apple-like nested menu structure but that can be overlooked considering the value and usefulness of the device.

I still find an iPad much better for preflight planning, but it is stored away for flights now. The 760 stays in the panel all the time except for WiFi data updates.

The 760 stays in the panel all the time except for WiFi data updates.
The 660 takes about an hour to do a monthly update over WiFi and about 12 minutes when tethered to a computer. How long does the 760 take to do a monthly database update?

I think about 30 minutes by wifi. I don't pay much attention to it since I take it home and let it do its thing, kind of like an iPad os update.

Old thread, but in case someone can benefit…

My airplane now has dual GI 275s and dual IFDs along with the panel mounted Aera 760.

I added a GDL 50R with its own external ADS-B antenna and hardwired it to the 760. Traffic and weather is now displayed on the 760 independent of the IFDs and the GDL also provides another attitude source for the 760 AI/synthetic vision page which I set as primary. I really like the traffic trend vector shown on the 760 for each target. I use that along with the straight ahead speed vector on the IFD to get a nice situational awareness of traffic.

I also had the 760 hardwired to my IFD for fight plan and course info. That feature really works well, including curved fight segments using the MapMX protocol. The syncing is IFD to 760 only, which is all I want or need.

I find the 760 to be a really nice Swiss Army knife MFD that is very robust through the hardwire connection for power, attitude, course, and ads-b data. It acts more like a bright built-in panel display unit than a portable device. I am not a fan of the Apple-like nested menu structure but that can be overlooked considering the value and usefulness of the device.

I still find an iPad much better for preflight planning, but it is stored away for flights now. The 760 stays in the panel all the time except for WiFi data updates.
I am curious about your dial IFDs. Why do you have 2 of them?

I am curious about your dial IFDs. Why do you have 2 of them?
It is for GPS/NAV/COMM redundancy and additional display options - the plane is a B55 Baron. One is an IFD550 which has the additional attitude/svs display page. The other is an IFD540 which doubles as an onboard weather radar display.

My 760 takes a while, but it is not the updating that takes time, it is the downloading the updates.

I have an AERA 760 and a GTX345. Those two are the only modern type avionics in my bird. Initially they were communicating through Bluetooth but the traffic kept dropping out periodically. Traffic stops working for about 1 min for every 3-5 minutes of operation. So I had it hard wired, leaving the Bluetooth unused. The traffic still drops out. Does anyone else have this problem?

So, since reading this thread I have been looking at the various flight tools and have loaded ifly on my android tablet. Will ifly talk to the GTX345 ? Does anyone know this for sure?
A GTX345 will BT connect to devices and pass ADSB information (WX/NEXRAD/Traffic) and AHRS which can be used by software. It cannot receive information from the device, such as flight plans, and pass it to a navigator. The IFly site does not specifically list the GTX345 as a compatible device at present but suggests that they may be able to do so on request. I would query them.

My 760 takes a while, but it is not the updating that takes time, it is the downloading the updates.
That's my difference between updates over WiFi vs updates while tethered to a computer.

When tethered to a computer, the download only takes a few seconds but then the transfer (over USB) takes several minutes, followed by the actual installation.

Over WiFi, it downloads, verifies and then does the actual install. All of this takes much longer, especially the download. I've got a 400Mbps Internet connection but apparently the aera 660 WiFi is limited to only 40Mbps. Or perhaps even less. Given the time it takes to transfer from my computer to the 660, I suspect the USB is also hampered in some way.

Back