Garmin 530w / GTX-330ES - ADS-B targets?

comanchepilot

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Farrell, yeah, him
I know this is likely not going to happen because Garmin wants to sell you a different box . . . but -

If you have a 530w and 330ES - you're squitting ES for ADS-B. . .

Is the 330 displaying other ADS-B targets on the 530 screen - albeit without the ID information? Or is it still only displaying the TIS-B targets from the 330?

It seemed like yesterday I had A LOT more targets displayed on my 530 than it used to have. . . .

Plus - I could not look on my Stratus and iPad because I left them home . . . left the house for a checkride without Stratus, iPad or even my phone. I had to find someone else to call to get me fuel.

The 330 ES only provides Out, not In. It announces your presence to the world. It receives no ADS-B data about other traffic that it can display on anything.

Unless there's something I don't know.

Edit

Here's something I found on Ipadpilotnews

"Is TIS-B the same as Mode S Traffic?

No. Mode S traffic (sometimes called TIS-A) was popular in the early 2000s, with products like the Garmin GTX 330. This transponder received traffic information from terminal radar approach control, transmitted via Mode S. But the only traffic you receive with Mode S is the traffic in your local TRACON coverage area, and you only receive this information when you’re close to the TRACON. In addition, not all TRACONs support Mode S traffic."

Last edited:
This.

You are not seeing ADS-B on the 530 without an ADS-B IN device which the 330ES is not and the 530 is not on its own.
Would a GDL product provide the IN service for the 530?

Would a GDL product provide the IN service for the 530?

Not an expert...but I believe the GDL-88 will which is the installed IN solution, but not the other GDL products that are designed for the portable tablet receivers.

Not an expert...but I believe the GDL-88 will which is the installed IN solution, but not the other GDL products that are designed for the portable tablet receivers.

Correct. GDL-88 is ADS-B in and out. Would work with the 530W and not need the 330ES. Still only 8 targets but TIS-B. Optional support for connecting to Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/63471

Correct. GDL-88 is ADS-B in and out. Would work with the 530W and not need the 330ES. Still only 8 targets but TIS-B. Optional support for connecting to Garmin Pilot or Foreflight.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/63471
I still can't decide whether or not I should go for a GTX345 xponder swap or just add a GDL88 for my ADS-B compliance.

From 2005. Note that TIS-A goes away as soon as the facility upgrades to an ASR-11 radar, and of course, the reminder that AOPA actually PUSHED for all of this crap.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...on-tis-provides-revised-decommission-schedule

That article, you get double the bang for your buck. FAA telling everyone "upgrades" remove features, and AOPA begging for a multi-billion dollar boondoggle. Yay.

I still can't decide whether or not I should go for a GTX345 xponder swap or just add a GDL88 for my ADS-B compliance.

IMHO a GDL88 (remote mounted in the tail) should be about 50% more labor, running wiring such as switching/power, coax, pressure altitude, data lines to the tail, not to mention many aircraft probably dont have a suitable shelf existing to bolt the rack to. Plus it adds probably twice as much weight.

Other considerations may be flat repairs :

GDL88 $800
GDL88 with WAAS $950
Both GTX345 $1200

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/warranty-information/out-of-warranty

I had a GTN650 tray wired up with with the intent of installing a GDL88 on my desk and weighed options heavily and ended up cutting the wires shorter and going with the GTX345. I'm happy with the outcome.

IMHO a GDL88 (remote mounted in the tail) should be about 50% more labor, running wiring such as switching/power, coax, pressure altitude, data lines to the tail, not to mention many aircraft probably dont have a suitable shelf existing to bolt the rack to. Plus it adds probably twice as much weight.

Other considerations may be flat repairs :

GDL88 $800
GDL88 with WAAS $950
Both GTX345 $1200

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/warranty-information/out-of-warranty

I had a GTN650 tray wired up with with the intent of installing a GDL88 on my desk and weighed options heavily and ended up cutting the wires shorter and going with the GTX345. I'm happy with the outcome.
I appreciate the insight. I didn't expect labor to be that significantly more, but the difference in flat rate repairs is interesting. My gut is saying the 345 is likely the route I'll go.

I appreciate the insight. I didn't expect labor to be that significantly more, but the difference in flat rate repairs is interesting. My gut is saying the 345 is likely the route I'll go.

Another factor for me was the GTX reuses the belly transponder antenna (which I replaced with new anyway), and a GDL88 adds at least one antenna (belly) or two if GDL88 with WAAS (a belly and a roof antenna). I don't like adding holes to the airplane if I don't need to.

You are seeing TIS data (colocilally and incorrectly called TIS-A). The 330 series is capable of receiving the TIS data on 1030 MHz uplink. It is typically wired to your display via the Traffic 429 bus. There is also an audio connection to your audio panel from the Transponder.In the TIS installation the traffic position and audio alerts are generated by the transponder. A TIS systems mirrors the traffic data of TCAS, where TIS-B follows the GDL-90 format.

The GTS33, GTS330, KT-73, KT-74, and the Trig TT31 are transponders with TIS functionality.

Back