Garmin 430W Training

cmathis

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
CMathis
Plane is in the shop getting a 430W installed as I write this. I was thinking of picking up the King School 430 video course. Anyone here used it or something similar? Is it worth the $$?

Last edited:
Garmin has a video on YouTube that is pretty good.

There's a lot of 430 training stuff on youtube. Probably no need for King.

Congrats on the GNS430, I have a 430/530 I mine and two 530s in the plane at work, great units once you get to know em.

Download that simulator, watch the YouTube videos and just play with it VFR.

Also for airways, load em in to foreflight and it'll give you waypoints for the 430, usually you only need two even though foreflght will give you way more.

You got a HSI to go with that thing?

Congrats on the GNS430, I have a 430/530 I mine and two 530s in the plane at work, great units once you get to know em.

Download that simulator, watch the YouTube videos and just play with it VFR.

Also for airways, load em in to foreflight and it'll give you waypoints for the 430, usually you only need two even though foreflght will give you way more.

You got a HSI to go with that thing?

I'll check out some of the videos on YouTube, sounds like there are several good ones.

No HSI at this point, I wish we did! We are a small club and just bought the plane and now are adding the 430. We are looking at some additional upgrades once we pay down some debt load.

I'll check out some of the videos on YouTube, sounds like there are several good ones.

No HSI at this point, I wish we did! We are a small club and just bought the plane and now are adding the 430. We are looking at some additional upgrades once we pay down some debt load.

I hear ya, well when the time comes be sure to check out the Sandel 3308 EHSI, I e been quite happy with it.

The videos lack the interactive component necessary for effective learning. If you want something that is a well-designed interactive training program, try this one. It's been used successfully by many of my trainees. The downloadable simulator isn't worth much without an instructor to teach you how to use it, although it is very useful in the hands of a good instructor, but one-on-one training like that isn't cheap. But the EFS package, which will take about 12 hours to get through, will do the same for a lot less money and on your own time.

Just an FYI, those simulators from Garmin don't work on any 64-bit machine. Tried it on my Win7 box and laptop and couldn't get it to work, even with compatibility mode turned on to emulate a Windows 2000/XP machine.

Just an FYI, those simulators from Garmin don't work on any 64-bit machine. Tried it on my Win7 box and laptop and couldn't get it to work, even with compatibility mode turned on to emulate a Windows 2000/XP machine.
They work fine on my Windows 8.1/64-bit x64-based processor machine.

The videos lack the interactive component necessary for effective learning. If you want something that is a well-designed interactive training program, try this one. It's been used successfully by many of my trainees. The downloadable simulator isn't worth much without an instructor to teach you how to use it, although it is very useful in the hands of a good instructor, but one-on-one training like that isn't cheap. But the EFS package, which will take about 12 hours to get through, will do the same for a lot less money and on your own time.

Thanks, Ron. I'm going to check that out. I'd like to become pretty familiar with the box on the ground then grab an instructor that knows the equipment and fine tune those skills.

Thanks, Ron. I'm going to check that out. I'd like to become pretty familiar with the box on the ground then grab an instructor that knows the equipment and fine tune those skills.
This would be an ideal tool to accomplish that goal.

I have the King 430 class and it worked for me. I go back to it now and then to refresh stuff I haven't used in a while.

They work fine on my Windows 8.1/64-bit x64-based processor machine.

Interesting. I got an error on two different x64 Win7 machines. I had even read several posts in various places about it having difficulties. Could just be a Win7 issue.

Interesting. I got an error on two different x64 Win7 machines. I had even read several posts in various places about it having difficulties. Could just be a Win7 issue.

I also couldn't get it to work on win 7.

Have you tried asking Garmin tech support? They've always been very good with my questions.

I also couldn't get it to work on win 7.

I too had no problems running it x64 windows 7. :dunno:

It was useful to play around with prior to my first solo to practice area. All my flights were with just landmarks, including where abouts the SFRA ends and the class B. It was good to use the simulator to make sure i knew the very basics of the map interface and how to zoom in and out of the map, enter direct-to , etc.

Last edited:

There are two versions, found this out tonight. You want the one that came out in 2007. I couldn't get the other version to work with Win7 either. The 2007 version, which is for the W boxes, works fine on Win7.

There are two versions, found this out tonight. You want the one that came out in 2007. I couldn't get the other version to work with Win7 either. The 2007 version, which is for the W boxes, works fine on Win7.

Ah yes, i was referencing using the 400/500 W simulator!

Didn't know there were two versions, either. I'll have to double check which version I was trying.

Back