Garmin 430 to IFD 440

Eugene Vezzetti

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Eugene
Will a 440 even work in a tray that had a Garmin 430 non WAAS unit, or just not display WAAS approaches?

The tray will be fine, but you'll need an antenna, maybe antenna cable, and potentially more.

The IFD 440 is head and shoulders better than the Garmin 430. You'll LOVE it!

Is that why you don't see any used ifd's

I think that's probably the case. They very rarely come on the used market. Chase Larrabee at www.avionicssource.com occasionally gets used IFDs as trade-ins, but they get snapped up really fast.

Something to be aware of when buying used avionics - some manufacturers will not repair (or upgrade) them if they have come out of an accident aircraft. I know that's Avidyne's policy. So, it's really important when buying used avionics to get the serial number and check with the manufacturer before buying, to be sure (a) the unit isn't stolen, and (b) it's eligible to be sent back to the manufacturer for work, if necessary. There's a guy on Beech Talk who bought a used IFD, and then later found out it was from an accident aircraft and Avidyne would not work on it. He was not a happy camper.

I'd opt for the GTN 650. Yes, there's a little more installation time, but not much. The GTN is the more elegant unit to use and Garmin has a super support system.

I'd opt for the GTN 650. Yes, there's a little more installation time, but not much. The GTN is the more elegant unit to use and Garmin has a super support system.

Can you explain the “elegant” comment? On the IFD, the maximum number of button-pushes or touches is 2 to get to all functions, no menus.

But for those of us with a GNS430w waas, the avidyne IFD440 should be a drop in replacement (same tray and all). Can’t speak for other connecting instruments such as a GFC500 auto pilot. That might not work with it. The IFD has to do the GPSS steering and get it to the autopilot to make the required control inputs. Just stick with steam gauges.

I agree the idf 440 is a fine unit but I believe you’re still upgrading the antenna with a shop cost.
It’s just my opinion but the use of a touch screen is preferable to the knobs and buttons on the 440, giving you a larger screen area. jm

I agree the idf 440 is a fine unit but I believe you’re still upgrading the antenna with a shop cost.
It’s just my opinion but the use of a touch screen is preferable to the knobs and buttons on the 440, giving you a larger screen area. jm
Do you think the 440 doesn't have a touchscreen? Unlike the Garmin units, the IFD allows one to use the touchscreen, the knobs and buttons, or all three to get to every function.

With the IFD-100 app, you end up with 2 GPS screens, as big as the biggest iPad you wish to use.

I may be (am?) biased, so don’t let that turn anyone off from pushing back. Just trying to understand.

Garmin - love or hate them - seems to like only other Garmin products - which are everywhere. So a 650 will play better with getting ADSB from a garmin transponder, work with a Garmin autopilot, HSI (G5 or 275), etc.

The IFD app to an IPad is extremely cool. And, yes, I understand the IFD series has a touch pad. It’s way better than the GNS 430 it replaces. I simply found the GTN to generally give the larger screen size and if you’re upgrading to any other GARMIN device, GARMIN connects best to GARMIN. They’re all better than my Northstar M1 loran

Back