Garmin 400 Series STC????

Prcpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PRCpilot
Okay so my A&P (cheaper than my IA) wants me to research to see if the GNS 400W series has an STC so that he can install it in my 310? I am already running very reliable radios so Im not terribly worried about it having a COMM in there. Any ideas or pointers?

JFWIW-I am removing a ARNAV Loran, and King ADF.... Any takers??? :yes::yikes:

If it's TSO'd....there may be no need for an STC.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...cd1862579fe0068127d/$FILE/AML SA01933LA-D.pdf

your C310 is on the AML

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/110906.html

**The AML STC data is intended to provide complete FAA approved data for a large subset of CAR3/FAR23 aircraft; however, if the aircraft does not pre-qualify for the AML STC standards, additional means of airworthiness approval will be required.

http://www.expaircraft.com/PDF/gns430w-IM.pdf

Last edited:
Okay so my A&P (cheaper than my IA) wants me to research to see if the GNS 400W series has an STC so that he can install it in my 310? I am already running very reliable radios so Im not terribly worried about it having a COMM in there. Any ideas or pointers?

JFWIW-I am removing a ARNAV Loran, and King ADF.... Any takers??? :yes::yikes:

Yeah, call a Garmin dealer and tell them you want an STC data package for installing a 400W into a Cessna 310 serial #XXXXX.

You should get:

Letter of Authorization or LOA (approves the use of the STC on the airplane, required by the FAA STC Certificate)
STC Certificate (The FAA coverpages thing)
Approved Model List or AML
Master Document/Drawing List or MDL (shown on the approved model list)
Installation Instructions (shown on master document/drawing list)
FAA approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement or AFMS (shown on master document/drawing list)
Instructions for Continued Airworthiness or ICA (shown on master document/drawing list)

(BTW this is how most STC's are structured)

Last edited:
Yeah, call a Garmin dealer and tell them you want an STC data package for installing a 400W into a Cessna 310 serial #XXXXX.

You should get:

Letter of Authorization or LOA (approves the use of the STC on the airplane, required by the FAA STC Certificate)
STC Certificate (The FAA coverpages thing)
Approved Model List or AML
Master Document/Drawing List or MDL (shown on the approved model list)
Installation Instructions (shown on master document/drawing list)
FAA approved Airplane Flight Manual Supplement or AFMS (shown on master document/drawing list)
Instructions for Continued Airworthiness or ICA (shown on master document/drawing list)

(BTW this is how most STC's are structured)

I have seen the lovely legal mumbo jumbo they call "technical instructions" before- I just didnt know where to start at since it is one of those odd ball approval/STC questions. Ill give Garmin a jingle and see... :wink2:

If you want to fly it IFR, you need the STC. As pointed out, Garmin WILL provide this.
Compliance with the TSO is not sufficient.

It's not particularly 'oddball', I'd bet most 310s currently flying have a GNS series radio in it, mine had a 430, the paperwork from Garmin was pretty boilerplate allowing the instal.

If you want to fly it IFR, you need the STC. As pointed out, Garmin WILL provide this.
Compliance with the TSO is not sufficient.
no STC for the registered aircraft....means a field approval....using the STC data....unless it was approved under the TC.

Last edited:
There is a place on the FAA site you can search STCs, Garmin has them for about any plane you can imagine for the GNS series, heck my 46' Stinson is even on there, if I ever wanted to install a 430W.

Do some google searching, Id post the link but its not in the book marks of my phone.

The GNS400W series has an STC with a very broad AML and the C310 is on it. Any dealer can get you the required information, the STC install manual, the FAA approved AFMS, a copy of the AML and the STC and permission to use it.

I am quite aware of the TC, STC, and field approval processes. Suffice it to say that on an IFR GPS it is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to do so under just a field approval. Even with the STC the 337 filing for my IFR GPS was pretty durned thick. Even without an STC for your aircraft, you're going to need to get one from Garmin for a similar aircraft as a starting point. As pointed out, unless you're flying an airplane that is extremely rare, Garmin probably already has the STC.

I am quite aware of the TC, STC, and field approval processes. Suffice it to say that on an IFR GPS it is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to do so under just a field approval. Even with the STC the 337 filing for my IFR GPS was pretty durned thick. Even without an STC for your aircraft, you're going to need to get one from Garmin for a similar aircraft as a starting point. As pointed out, unless you're flying an airplane that is extremely rare, Garmin probably already has the STC.

I've seen hundreds of in house FAA approved Flight Manual supplements for Non-STC installed IFR GPS, but its becoming more and more rare, almost EASA like.

and just because someone filed a novel in block 8....it's no indication of it being done properly.:no:.....so past performance is no indication of future results. :D

Nowadays....no one reads the 337s filed in OKC. They get up loaded and done.

I have done dozens of them, not a biggie.

Back