Garmin 355 Configuration Page

Edward Dearborn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mohawkman
Hello All. I need some help accessing the configuration pages of a Garmin 355, which is installed in my C150. I followed the below instructions from the Garmin maintenance manual:

“To access Configuration mode, hold down the inner knob and press the power/home button.

When the configuration mode home page appears as shown below, release the knob.”

When I do the above (with engine running), the unit begins a power down cycle. Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? - Ed

You need to power it down first, so push the power button to shut it down, then hold the knob and push the power button and it will power up into configuration mode.

You need to power it down first, so push the power button to shut it down, then hold the knob and push the power button and it will power up into configuration mode.

Thanks, Jesse. I'm having an issue with low volume when transmitting on my 355. There is another thread on that topic which recommends verifying mic gain setting in the com setup.

I love my 355

any thoughts.... Between a IFD 440 or a GNC 355...? Removing an old Appolo GPS.
The 355 is a GPS/COM (no VLOC). The 440 is a full GPS/VLOC/COM FMS. I'd take the IFD in that pairing, but what is your mission?

Im a VFR only, 1600hrs, SFla. Trips say IFR would help some, but getting a feeling that IF I don't have a well equipped panel, IFR is not safe & costs of a "full panel" are out of my range...
Wanting a very good ifr capable GPS, is first. Replacing a "1962 Apollo"n GPS :)
Don't know if the cost diff. of the IFD is justified to me. Also my A/P commented that Avidyne is not too helpful on out of warantee issues. ( who is today...?)

Im a VFR only, 1600hrs, SFla. Trips say IFR would help some, but getting a feeling that IF I don't have a well equipped panel, IFR is not safe & costs of a "full panel" are out of my range...
Wanting a very good ifr capable GPS, is first. Replacing a "1962 Apollo"n GPS :)
Don't know if the cost diff. of the IFD is justified to me. Also my A/P commented that Avidyne is not too helpful on out of warantee issues. ( who is today...?)
Well, having the nav as well as the gps is an advantage in safety and options, but it is more expensive and the 355 is pretty darn slick. In my case, I had a good nav already so I kept it and added the 355.

If VFR is your mission, and resale to a IFR buyer down the line isn't important, it really doesn't matter much. Heck, I'm flying some VFR-only aircraft in which the only GPS is the one feeding my EFB.

Replacing a "1962 Apollo"n GPS :)
Don't know if the cost diff. of the IFD is justified to me.
If you are replacing a 430 then go with the IFD. But since you are replacing an Apollo GPS then the 355 makes more sense. I like the GNX375 better than the GNC355 but which to choose depends more on what's coming out.

Also, GPS as we know it today didn't exist until the late 1990's so I'm not sure what you mean by "1962".

It seems that old... Thats all. virtually worthless.... Looking more to remove 1 KX155 (sell it) & have a KX155 w/ GS & the GNC 355.

Im considering a 355. Is it a good GPS/ Com? Liking it? Issues...?
tl;dr: If you are looking for a panel mount WAAS navigator and you desire to have a backup com, its hard to pick a better unit. That being said, based on my current situation (see below), I would not recommend placing as the primary com.

Background: I have an IFR capable C150L that when purchased, had a non-WAAS Garmin 430 and a KX-155 with an inoperative nav.
Use Case: I wanted to have access to LPV approaches (WAAS required) and maintain two com radios for redundancy. 430 gave me access to VOR/ILS.
Selection: The 355 was almost the only choice for me as I did not need the nav radio, so it answered my need for WAAS and a com radio.
Pros: Garmin touch screen navigators are very intuitive to use, with a great feature set at a reasonable price (~$6500). Compare this to the cost of a Garmin 650 (>$11,500). Added bonus, at the time Garmin was bundling a GI-206B indicator (~$2500) with the purchase of a 355. They periodically run that special. I paired it with a G5 (Attitude Indicator), so the 355 pushes lateral course deviation to the G5 along with some other data points. 355 pairs beautifully with ForeFlight, allowing for wireless exchange of flight plans. Very helpful when ATC gives you that reroute.
Cons: My 355 has a software glitch that will cause the mic gain and side tone volume to drop out. Result, unit can be unreadable when transmitting. Garmin has acknowledged it as a known issue. Makes me happy that I left the 430 in the Com 1 position. I have not yet decided whether to take Garmin up on the offer to replace or to wait for a software patch.

So are you saying that the 355 still has that Mike gain issue? I've read about it for a while now.
That is an issue for me, if Garmin is selling it with a known problem...

So are you saying that the 355 still has that Mike gain issue? I've read about it for a while now.
That is an issue for me, if Garmin is selling it with a known problem...
Hell yeah, it's still an issue.
It seems that some boxes have an issue, some don't.
I have a running theory that changing the volume messes up the com settings. Not sure tho.

Hell yeah, it's still an issue.
It seems that some boxes have an issue, some don't.
I have a running theory that changing the volume messes up the com settings. Not sure tho.
As guzziguy points out the issue is real and Garmin has acknowledged that fact. Their promise for a software fix falls squarely into my "the check is in the mail" department. Will they, probably, but do keep in mind that there are thousands of these units flying around that have not had any issue reported, so how motivated are Garmin to deliver.

Speaking of guzziguy, I want to thank him publicly as it was his research and troubleshooting that helped me diagnose my issue and test a workaround that can be applied by the pilot. I would still be chasing my tail if not for him!

Seems like a good idea to skip over the Garmin.. If I get a "bad box" I'll be ****ed as..... If Garmin didn't have any fix. Spend your hard earned money with us, but hold your breath waiting for support...? Not Me.
I'll look at Avidyne closer now.

Seems like a good idea to skip over the Garmin.. If I get a "bad box" I'll be ****ed as..... If Garmin didn't have any fix. Spend your hard earned money with us, but hold your breath waiting for support...? Not Me.
I smell a IFD 440 in the future...

... Guzz.. Your feedback & that of the others too, is an excellent example of what we, as a community are all about.
I Thank you for the quick response and honesty!
Capt Gary

I smell a IFD 440 in the future...
Uh oh. Now you are talking to yourself!

All,
Thank you for the kind words.

Now on to getting an IFD installed:) Anyone have experience with Sarasota Avionics?
Isn't the GTN650Xi the same price as the IFD440? Isn't the GTN650Xi newer than the IFD440 (better display, longer time before obsolescence)?

Back