Garmin 345 vs APPAREO STRATUS ESG

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Which one's a better system? I want in and out wired to an iPad and a 430W.
thanks!

I give up. bluetooth. unit is hard wired to the airplane panel is what I meant. sorry if I'm confusing you today

If you want traffic on the 430, you'll need the 345.

thanks George. That's helpful. I appreciate your response.

I am thinking (could be wrong) that the Appareo is ADS-B Out and you have to have a Stratus for ADS-B In. The Garmin 345 is ADS-B Out/In with In displayed on a small screen. If you iPad overheats, you would still have traffic, etc.

I give up. bluetooth. unit is hard wired to the airplane panel is what I meant. sorry if I'm confusing you today
If I were intentionally trying to be a pain, I would have pointed out that the GMA 345 is an audio panel. ;):):D
The Garmin 345 is ADS-B Out/In with In displayed on a small screen.
Are you referring to the GNX375? The GTX345 display is a little bit crude.

As far as I know, the Appareo is ADS-B out only. The 345 is in and out. If you want a panel mounted ADS-B in solution you're looking at the 345.

A better comparison would be the Appareo vs the 335.

I have one of each. In different planes of course.

The Appareo ESG includes a Stratus which gives you Pad IN and AHRS data for the pad to be used with Foreflight or maybe also other EFB’s. It of course will not feed data to a Garmin navigator.

Just a thought, but if you were to consider 345 for its 430 support, by the time you buy and install a 345, selling your 430 might give you enough to install a 375 which would do all that and be newer technology. Something to consider.

To elaborate:

My Cessna 140 has a good albeit aged IFR panel with two NAV’s, one LOC and one LOC/GS. The Appareo with permanently mounted Stratus gives me pad IN and of course OUT. It would need feed data to a Garmin navigator if it were installed, so I just use my pad.

My Mooney has a 345 and 430 W. I put in the 345 before the new generation Garmins were available. The 345 also gives me AHRS data for the pad. I expect that at that time I could have sold the 430W and put that with the cost of an installed 345 and would have given me enough money to install a 375.

I have been very pleased with both units. They fit into the scheme in each plane.

Perhaps a silly thought, but an advantage for each of these is that you can quickly key in an assigned sqwauk rather than fumbling with knobs while trying to keep the shiny side up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Selling the 430 and going with the 375 might be a good option, if the price delta is not to bad. Get a unit that will be serviceable for many years to come instead of a gps with a very limited Support time frame.

Selling the 430 and going with the 375 might be a good option, if the price delta is not to bad. Get a unit that will be serviceable for many years to come instead of a gps with a very limited Support time frame.

I’d get the 375 and still keep the 430 as a backup Comm/Nav if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The price to swap 430w to gnx375 will escalate quickly because you'll need com and (if you want, vhf nav). Then you're wiring into the audio panel too - adds up. Might just be cheaper to keep the 430 and get the 375 anyway. As far as esg vs 345, tough call. But if you ever want traffic on your panel, don't do the ESG because you can't do panel traffic. Ive got the ESG tied to iPad. zero complaints. But I'd go 375 if I had the choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I’d get the 375 and still keep the 430 as a backup Comm/Nav if it were me.

Sure! Obviously! But maybe the OP, though , is one of the many people who forget to water the money tree in the backyard?

installing a 345 alone would be about $5500. Installing a 375 would be about $10,000. A 430 WAAS will fetch $5000 or more. It’s roughly the same money and you end up with a tidy panel and the latest technology.

The price to swap 430w to gnx375 will escalate quickly because you'll need com and (if you want, vhf nav). Then you're wiring into the audio panel too - adds up. Might just be cheaper to keep the 430 and get the 375 anyway. As far as esg vs 345, tough call. But if you ever want traffic on your panel, don't do the ESG because you can't do panel traffic. Ive got the ESG tied to iPad. zero complaints. But I'd go 375 if I had the choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I thought the GNX375 includes a COM. The plane likely has a backup NAV radio.

I thought the GNX375 includes a COM. The plane likely has a backup NAV radio.
Negative.

GNX375 is a transponder and gps
GNC355 is a com radio and Gps

Well, you made me dig deeper. I stand corrected. To have a COM, a ground based NAV, a navigator and ADS-B all with new Garmin boxes is an expense not for the faint of heart or someone that forgets to water their money tree.

Are you referring to the GNX375? The GTX345 display is a little bit crude.

Actually, I was referring to the GTX345. The screen is a little crude, but it will display traffic (at least that is my understanding).

The 345 won’t display traffic on the 345 screen, but will make it available for display on a panel mounted navigator or on an iPad or iPhone with most EFB’s.

If you are able to afford it, then I’d go with the 375 and 430. If cost is an issue then keep the 430 and go with the 345. If you don’t have WAAS in the 430 then the 345 can be a WAAS source, but will require a second antenna. It’s cheaper than a 430W upgrade if the 430 is not a 430W and you use the 345 as the WAAS source.

My original plan was a 375 and GTR 255 and 225. I got talked into a 345 and 650. I’ve regretted it ever since. I like the 375 much more than the 345. I don’t like the panel layout I currently have, but love the avionics. If it were laid out it the way I originally requested, I think I’d be a bit happier to have more capabilities for less $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANKS for the response. I'm learning that the Stratus system doesn't give me traffic, and that's important to me. I've got the 345 transponder and a garmin 660 mounted to the yoke... puts the traffic info right under my nose. The coaching to buy new is all appreciated... just depends on how much you wanna squeeze your milk money I guess.

Incorrect. The Stratus gives you traffic on a pad and maybe on the handheld GPS devices. The only thing the 345 does that the Stratus does not, is feed traffic to Garmin panel mounted navigators.

I'm learning that the Stratus system doesn't give me traffic

Yeah, that is totally wrong. I have a GNS430w and a Stratus that gives ADS-B In/Out. Feeds traffic, weather, GPS, AHARS to iPad/Foreflight. Works amazingly well together. No complaints. Never let me down.

Like MBDiagMan said, only thing it won't do is send traffic to the 430. But I don't really care since that screen is pretty useless anyway. Yes of course what if my iPad fails.... I have an iPhone that runs foreflight that will take the same data from the Stratus and display it better than the 430 can.

Great! THANKS... the Stratus seems like a good way to go for this airplane. It has a wing mount ADS-B thing which may need to go...

It has a wing mount ADS-B thing which may need to go...

I’m Assuming you’re describing the uAvionix skybeacon and that the airplane is already ads-b out compliant. What exactly are we trying to accomplish here?

Knowing the whole story would probably help get you better answers.

The GTX-345 also provides aural alerts which can be helpful. For example, “Traffic! Two O'clock, Low, Two Miles.”

As stated, if you want it to talk to your 430 or any other future Garmin product, get the Garmin 345.

The GTX 345 will provide scalability that the Stratus won't. Someday you might want a 650, or a Garmin portable Aera, or something else Garmin. The Garmin transponder will talk to those and give it traffic, weather, and attitude. The Stratus won't.

Last edited:
Back