garmin 175 install

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Since the 175 is overthe counter, I’ve got an A&P who is also qualified avionics tech. Besides the wiring hassle, what else is needed for the install? I’ve got a garmin gps antenna already installed with the 335 adsb transponder. Doing the homework to make it easier on the install guy.

That brings up a question in my mind... can you “daisy chain” GPS data from one unit to another?
GTX335 -> GPS 175 -> G5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the 375 hard do you need the 210 or 510 to use your I pad

You can Bluetooth ADS-B to the IPad without Flightstream. Flightstream provides additional features like flightplan downloading and with 510, database updates.

What about getting wifi on the 375 do you need 210 or what

Except for DB concierge, I believe no. Paging @flyingcheesehead for verification...

Correct. The 175 and 375 have Garmin Connext built in. The 175 will send AHRS and position to a portable and will do two-way flight plan transfer. However, ForeFlight is unsupported currently. I expect that to change very shortly, but there hasn't been any official verification of that from either party yet.

What about getting wifi on the 375 do you need 210 or what

Nope. It's built in. It's Bluetooth, not WiFi - Garmin really doesn't do WiFi for the most part. I'm not sure why. :dunno:

Anyway, the 375 does not require a FlightStream at all - It has built-in Garmin Connext, and will do two-way flight plan transfer as well as provide AHRS, GPS position, ADS-B traffic and weather to a portable device. Same caveat as above about ForeFlight.

Since the 175 is overthe counter, I’ve got an A&P who is also qualified avionics tech. Besides the wiring hassle, what else is needed for the install? I’ve got a garmin gps antenna already installed with the 335 adsb transponder. Doing the homework to make it easier on the install guy.

What CDI are you using?

You can unhook the the GTX335 from the GPS antenna and connect that antenna to the 175, problem is it will display "service soon" all the time and when I contacted garmin about it a couple years ago there was no way to disable an internal GPS of the GTX-3x5 series transponder. You can connect it to just about any GPS antenna to make the message go away, and it will live happily ever after using the GPS-175 position data via RS232.

The GPS 175 should have its own breaker, needs its own antenna, needs a CDI/HSI display, and audio line out to the audio panel, possibly something I've forgotten

More questions. Can you share a CDI with a 175/375 and an existing nav unit or do you need a stand alone CDI for the 175/375??? Also, what would be the value of a one year old 335 unit? We are debating whether to replace our 335 with a 375 or just install the 175 and keep the 335. We would like to reduce panel clutter. Our local avionics shop has us set up for a November install so we have some time to figure this out. Don't want to be stuck with a used 335 transponder.

That brings up a question in my mind... can you “daisy chain” GPS data from one unit to another?
GTX335 -> GPS 175 -> G5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they all speak the same language yes, typically done using RS232. I think there is a limit to # of devices that can be spliced to a single RS232 port but IIRC is like 5.

So if your transponder, engine monitor etc all need a certain position data and use the same language, should work great

I would think a 335 would have good value on the used market right now. For many VFR panels a used 335 would be a better solution than a skybeacon for not too much more money.

Back