Garmin 175 - 355 - 375 Best Practices

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Hi,

When setting up an approach with the newer Garmin wiz boxes... do you load the approach into the flight plan, or do you load it "on the fly" after activating the flight plan and then activate the leg? Or load the approach and then activate - activate leg?

I have only been playing with the simulator app and hopefully will have my plane back next week with the real deal... Maybe in the real world, I'll find out quick.. but thought I would tap into the brain trust here with some tips and tricks.

Any advice and experience is truly welcome.

Thanks

I load the clearance into the FPL. When I get the ATIS, I negotiate with ATC which approach I want. I hit the button on the right hand side (the one that shows the leg) to get back to the FPL page, tap on the airport and "Load Approach". When I get the approach clearance, I tap the fix and hit D> or Activate Leg depending on the clearance.

I generally load it first based upon weather/ATIS/told what to expect (which can be based upon my request) as I approach the airport, then activate it once I’m cleared.

Almost always on the fly once I know what approach it is going to be. Always load an IAF and activate vectors to final iff get a vector. Otherwise just keep flying the approach.

The visual approach function is also very useful particularly at night.

Do you mean load it on the ground as you're setting everything up? No. I wait until I have the ATIS en route and then load it.

This is a 750xi but would be the same concept. You'll just have a smaller screen. Go to 1:45 if you want to see the button pushing.

The newer navigators have everything never more than one to two plies away from home (unlike the older 430/530), and use a touch screen to boot, so loading on the fly is very easy. The 750/175 are pretty similar, though there are some things in the 175 (the one without com or txp) that are really nice - from any page, twisting the big knob once to the right immediately brings up the map page.

A GPS175 and a G5 HSI is $9k worth of gizmos that makes IFR really nice. Fly behind a 650, 750 and a 175 and just love the 175 (series).

Do you mean load it on the ground as you're setting everything up? No. I wait until I have the ATIS en route and then load it.
I suppose the one exception to that is if there's only 1 approach to the airport. May as well load the PROC on the ground.

I suppose the one exception to that is if there's only 1 approach to the airport. May as well load the PROC on the ground.
Assumes that one will arrive at said airport, it will be open, and the wx will be appropriate. 30 nm away on a training flight, ok, maybe load it on the ground, otherwise why bother.

The newer navigators have everything never more than one to two plies away from home (unlike the older 430/530), and use a touch screen to boot, so loading on the fly is very easy. The 750/175 are pretty similar, though there are some things in the 175 (the one without com or txp) that are really nice - from any page, twisting the big knob once to the right immediately brings up the map page.

A GPS175 and a G5 HSI is $9k worth of gizmos that makes IFR really nice. Fly behind a 650, 750 and a 175 and just love the 175 (series).

Yes, very easy.... almost too easy

Going with the 375 and G5 HSI... getting rid of the tail beacon ADSB- no more running nav lights in CAVU, KT76A - Mode C, and cleaning up the panel in the process.

Yes, very easy.... almost too easy

Going with the 375 and G5 HSI... getting rid of the tail beacon ADSB- no more running nav lights in CAVU, KT76A - Mode C, and cleaning up the panel in the process.
Taken to always running all lights all the time now that they are LED all around.

You’ll like that combo.

Assumes that one will arrive at said airport, it will be open, and the wx will be appropriate. 30 nm away on a training flight, ok, maybe load it on the ground, otherwise why bother.
That changes a lot of other stuff in your FPL. Entering in a new PROC is probably the least of your worries at that point.

Back