Garage remote

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
I want one of these. Unfortunately they are only available in the UK for their frequencies. So if I can't buy, I'd like to build. Any suggestions on a sacrificial cigarette lighter gadget big enough and already has a button that I can gut and install my keychain remote?

$_86.JPG

s-l300.jpg

Nope, all I see are similar ones that are 433 / 868 (European).

you could do something like garadget and open/close from your mobile phone... Or this : https://lifehacker.com/build-a-garage-door-opener-into-your-car-1579716791

Because pulling out your phone and using an ap is so much easier than just clicking the remote. I just don't get the desire to turn one's phone into a do-it-all device.

Not sure what freq the OP wants but if anyone is looking for a cig lighter version of an opener in the 300-390 MHz range, there is this one.

Around here, people are breaking into cars to steal the garage remotes. Then they pay a second visit when nobody is home to confirm the owner is too lazy to lock the door between the garage and house, and clean the place out. So rather than carry my garage remote in/out with me, I have one of the commercial devices that uses the app as a remote.

Around here, people are breaking into cars to steal the garage remotes. Then they pay a second visit when nobody is home to confirm the owner is too lazy to lock the door between the garage and house, and clean the place out. So rather than carry my garage remote in/out with me, I have one of the commercial devices that uses the app as a remote.

Most people whose car is broken into will check to see if the remote has been stolen and if it has they erase all codes from the opener.

Most people whose car is broken into will check to see if the remote has been stolen and if it has they erase all codes from the opener.
Given the number of people around here who self report being shocked when bored teenagers riffle through their unlocked cars, the number of people who clearly don't plan to stop at stop signs until they see another car, and many other symptoms, I think you are giving the average person far too much credit.

Given the number of people around here who self report being shocked when bored teenagers riffle through their unlocked cars, the number of people who clearly don't plan to stop at stop signs until they see another car, and many other symptoms, I think you are giving the average person far too much credit.

Well maybe you live around and associate with a bunch of morons. Most folks I know would erase the codes and then add a new opener.

Not sure what freq the OP wants but if anyone is looking for a cig lighter version of an opener in the 300-390 MHz range, there is this one.

Although not quite as discreet as the one in post #1, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Thanks!

The 1 star review kind of gives me pause, though...

Interesting use case, but I think these app-driven remotes are more for pedestrians and/or guests (e.g. kids, out for a run and don't want to carry keys, let someone in remotely, etc).

Although not quite as discreet as the one in post #1, that's pretty close to what I'm looking for. Thanks!

The 1 star review kind of gives me pause, though...

There was only one review and it was one star and the person complained it didn't work with their Genie though the listing says "Compatible with most models of Liftmaster, Chamberlain, Craftsman". But it's only $19.99 so you can't get hurt too bad if it sucks.

Interesting use case, but I think these app-driven remotes are more for pedestrians and/or guests (e.g. kids, out for a run and don't want to carry keys, let someone in remotely, etc).

That's what remote key pads are for.

You can buy a programmable button on Amazon and stick it anywhere you want.
Some of you will spin the "Amazon" part.
Some of you will spin the "stick it" part.
The really good interweb geniuses will spin them both.
Git 'r done.

Git 'r done.

I think you may be on to something. You can get a box that connects your opener to the Internet and control it from an app. I'll bet one of these buttons could be linked to trigger the app.

If a thief is inside your garage, it really doesn't matter if the door to the house is locked. They can bring tools, or use your own, to break the door down. With the garage door closed, it won't be very noticeable, especially if their fellow drives away while the crew is inside . . . . .

Git 'r done.

Stick it.

Someone should invent one that is disguised as something discrete, such as an air freshener or something.

Because pulling out your phone and using an ap is so much easier than just clicking the remote.

It's not. I still use the remote or homelink buttons in the car, when I'm in the car. But, I've upgraded my openers so they are connected to the Internet (and thus the app on my phone) for several reasons. I can open and close the garage door from my lawn tractor. I can assure my wife that "Yes, I really did close the garage door" rather than going back to look for the millionth time to reassure her (and if nothing else, the upgrade also allowed me to set them to auto-close after a few minutes). If the UPS/FedEx guy wants to deliver a large package on a rainy day and I'm not home, I can see him and talk to him from my doorbell and open the garage for him to put it in a dry place.

It's also nice to have push notifications when the door gets opened by someone else, so I'll know if I'm getting robbed by one of these garage door hackers. ;)

I just don't get the desire to turn one's phone into a do-it-all device.

Because carrying around separate garage door opener, video doorbell communicator, fire alarm monitor, weather station, etc. would get pretty bulky.

It's not. I still use the remote or homelink buttons in the car, when I'm in the car. But, I've upgraded my openers so they are connected to the Internet (and thus the app on my phone) for several reasons. I can open and close the garage door from my lawn tractor. I can assure my wife that "Yes, I really did close the garage door" rather than going back to look for the millionth time to reassure her (and if nothing else, the upgrade also allowed me to set them to auto-close after a few minutes). If the UPS/FedEx guy wants to deliver a large package on a rainy day and I'm not home, I can see him and talk to him from my doorbell and open the garage for him to put it in a dry place.

It's also nice to have push notifications when the door gets opened by someone else, so I'll know if I'm getting robbed by one of these garage door hackers. ;)

Because carrying around separate garage door opener, video doorbell communicator, fire alarm monitor, weather station, etc. would get pretty bulky.

Some very valid points.

Now stop that!

If a thief is inside your garage, it really doesn't matter if the door to the house is locked. They can bring tools, or use your own, to break the door down. With the garage door closed, it won't be very noticeable, especially if their fellow drives away while the crew is inside . . . . .
I fully agree that it won't stop someone who is serious. If you have windows, there is certainly a limit to how secure you can be. But we have too many bored teenagers around here who saw a YouTube video on how to snag the emergency release with a coat hanger, or found a lazy way into a car, who just want to see how far they can go without real work.

Though that does remind me that while that lock was good by standards when I installed it, I probably need to check if it has any spools or serrated driver pins and add some if not already present.

Back