GA friendly airports in Newark area

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I need to get up to Newark next week and still waiting on my companies travel agency to book me flights....

Anyway, I'm toying with the idea of flying myself. It will be in a Cessna 150. It is IFR capable, but probably isn't up to date on IFR cert.

Not real keen on trying to get into EWR in a Cessna 150. What are good VFR options still relatively accessible to Newark?

The more I think about this, the less likely I am to try it.

FL to NJ in a 150? Sounds fun! :)

Yeah. Definitely not doing it. Was fun to think about for awhile.

Just for the entertainment purposes how would
The flight plan go? How many fuel stops? How long?

Just for the entertainment purposes how would
The flight plan go? How many fuel stops? How long?
8.5 hours of flying. 3 stops. would take pretty much a whole day.

If my plane weren't broke it'd be a no-brainer. :(

Teterboro (KTEB) more GA friendly than Newark, but still mostly corporate jet traffic.
Morristown (KMMU) a bit further away, but best suited for a C152 IMO.

I've flown to Linden and have been to Teterboro in a PA-28. Both are friendly, and I don't think either was expensive just to land. Kritchlow is right, Tererboro is mostly corporate. When I was there, Linden was about half or so helicopter. Teterboro seemed to have better ground transportation. Betting Linden is cheaper to keep a plane at overnight, and it's less crowded all the way around.

If you fly up, be sure to do that Hudson River VFR corridor thing. It's pretty cool.

I flew into Lincoln Park N07 in a 172 a few months ago, nice little field with a good restaurant on the ramp. Runway is on the shorter side at 2700', and rather narrow, but should be plenty for a 150. Not very far from Newark. Essex County CDW is a few miles closer but more expensive with ramp and parking fees. Both more comfortably outside the NY Bravo, under the 3000' shelf, so a little more breathing room.

And yes, definitely do the Hudson river exclusion if you can, it's breathtaking. Have fun!

Last edited:
8.5 hours of flying. 3 stops. would take pretty much a whole day.

So will flying commercial.

Get to airport 2+ hour ahead of time. Park, get to terminal, check in, go through security. Short flight to a hub, then get off, walk around, go to gate, wait for flight. Another shortish flight. Walk to baggage claim, wait for bags.

So will flying commercial.

Get to airport 2+ hour ahead of time. Park, get to terminal, check in, go through security. Short flight to a hub, then get off, walk around, go to gate, wait for flight. Another shortish flight. Walk to baggage claim, wait for bags.
LOL uh, no. No hub. 8.5 hours of flying +fuel stops. I'd be fortunate if I could do it in one day during daylight hours - if weather is perfect and no ATC delays. commercial is about 5 hours door to door.

If I had my lance, then yeah, it would be about a wash.

Four airports you can realistically select from:
  • Caldwell (KCDW) - ~30 mins to Newark
  • Morristown (KMMU) - ~30 mins to Newark
  • Linden (KLDJ) - closest to Newark
  • Teterboro (KTEB) - though I think they'll be the most expensive

I have used Caldwell for vfr flights in the past . Keeps you out of the heavy traffic.

I had to visit NJ a few times on business. It was my experience that no one there was friendly. Why would their GA airports be any different?

I had to visit NJ a few times on business. It was my experience that no one there was friendly. Why would their GA airports be any different?

Originally from NJ. Always though the road signs should read "Welcome to New Jersey. Now go home."

I took Springsteen's lyrics literally,
"Oh, baby this town rips the bones from your back, It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap,
We gotta get out while we're young...."

I had to visit NJ a few times on business. It was my experience that no one there was friendly.

I'm friendly! But I'm a transplant to NJ, so not a counterexample to your claim.

I've long said that on the day I retire, I'm going in to the office with the fully-loaded moving truck, which I'll leave parked in front, pointed west, engine running. That's how fast I'm out of here.

Originally from NJ. Always though the road signs should read "Welcome to New Jersey. Now go home."

I took Springsteen's lyrics literally,
"Oh, baby this town rips the bones from your back, It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap,
We gotta get out while we're young...."

I like the old Candid Candid skit, where they closed New Jersey. Set up a pole barrier and a guy in uniform. Most people were, OK, turned around and left.

This was before interstates.

Them fighting words. Did you drive slow in the fast lane or stop in front of the stairs at a busy area?

There's great GA in NJ, just avoid the jet-"only" places or EWR.

Back