GA A&P or Airline

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
GA A&P/IA seem to be getting a little on the old age side. Why would anyone want to work GA for little $$$ and no benefits or work for Airlines for a good wage and benefits as a A&P. Most pilots know aircraft cost a lot of money to maintain but somehow think those that work on them are not worth as much as someone that would work on their car. I have young people ask me about a A&P I tell them find another type work unless you want to work for low pay and probably no benefits.

I think it would be more about QOL than salary. I’ve discussed it with the mech that works on our helo and he’s thought about jumping ship for more $. Ultimately his schedule, his commute, and the pace of the work he does for us outweighes the extra money of the airlines. Kinda like why I go with my present flying job over making a run for the airlines.

I think it would be more about QOL than salary. I’ve discussed it with the mech that works on our helo and he’s thought about jumping ship for more $. Ultimately his schedule, his commute, and the pace of the work he does for us outweighes the extra money of the airlines. Kinda like why I go with my present flying job over making a run for the airlines.
QOL is major for many folks. The IA I currently use was employed by American Airlines back when they were in town. I'm guessing that if he liked it that he would still be doing that.

I imagine there are those who prefer to be their own bosses, and the issues of low pay and parsimonious aircraft owners aren't a sufficient down side. The guy who does the annuals on my aircraft has his own shop on a little strip and instructs one day a week. Sounds kind of good to me.

When they say they are looking for someone with “passion” it basically means they ain’t gonna pay you squat.

I didn't get my IA until I had a method to support my family. Then I got it just because I didn't want you nit picking my annuals. :)

now there isn't anyone but me working free lanced A&P in all of Northern Puget Sound. they are are all hiding under the insurance umbrella of a FBO.

As for owning your own business and running your own shop, remember two things:

1. You only have to work half-time and it doesn't matter which 12 hours a day 7 days a week you pick...
...and...
2. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery is all the same.

Jim

I didn't get my IA until I had a method to support my family. Then I got it just because I didn't want you nit picking my annuals. :)

now there isn't anyone but me working free lanced A&P in all of Northern Puget Sound. they are are all hiding under the insurance umbrella of a FBO.
It's a sign of the times, the only ones left are those who have nothing to sue for and those are not the ones you want to work on your plane. We still have a IA who come around and signs off several annuals a day for $200. each spends about 20 minutes on each aircraft then sign's off the annuals and leaves.

It's a sign of the times, the only ones left are those who have nothing to sue for and those are not the ones you want to work on your plane. We still have a IA who come around and signs off several annuals a day for $200. each spends about 20 minutes on each aircraft then sign's off the annuals and leaves.

Well if they are the only ones working?

Back