G5 setup with dual cue display?

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
On page 27 of the G5 pilot operating manual it shows a picture of the unit in Attitude Indicator mode with “Dual Cues” instead of with command bars, figure 2.6. I am used to flying a CDI with a glide slope for nearly 50 years and it seems like this will be easier to utilize for me than a command bar. There are no details in the manual if this is an option? Do any of you have any knowledge of the dual cue configuration?
Can this be used with the GFC500 autopilot?
If this is an optional setup can it be changed by the pilot to command bars as shown in figure 2.5 or is this configured by the avionics technician at the time of installation?
Are there any disadvantages to the dual cue display vs a command bar display?
We are having two G5’s installed in 3 weeks. Currently have a Avidyne 540 and a Century 1 autopilot with plans to upgrade the autopilot in about a year to a GFC500.
upload_2019-8-17_23-27-48.jpeg
The avionics tech tells me one of the CDI’s will have to be disabled to drive the G5 system.
I am thinking about suggesting we move the six pack one position to the right putting the PFD and HSI directly in front of the yoke and reducing the distance for the scan to the 540. Then putting the CDI for the back up radio on the left where the airspeed indicator is currently? Any Suggestions?
upload_2019-8-17_23-33-50.jpeg
Possibly next year when we pull out the Century autopilot go with a smaller Turn & Bank indicator and move the back up CDI to where the old T & B will be? Or Leave the T & B where it is now and put the backup CDI between the HSI and T & B? Will not be the traditional location in the six pack configuration but the G5 AI has a slip skid & turn rate indicator. Pros & Coms?

upload_2019-8-18_0-2-30.jpeg

G5 pic in Garmin’s Manual on page 15 with Dual Cue display.

I presume the horizontal magenta bar will disappear when there is no vertical guidance?

And if I understand it correctly for VOR, ILS or Localizer these bars will be green and only magenta for GPS guidance?

I met with our avionics tech today to discuss the questions shown in the earlier post. We did decide to move the instruments to the right reducing the scan distance between the Avidyne 540 and the new G5's. And will locate the Attitude indicator and HSI directly in front of the pilot. The existing panel layout picture is below followed by a crop and paste picture of the proposed layout. With these new locations the wiring changes to move the instruments will be minimal, primarily just plumbing with the static and pitot lines. Which will need to be done for the G5 installation anyway.
upload_2019-8-17_23-33-50-jpeg.76986

Old above & Proposed below
upload_2019-8-20_5-36-30.png

Since the T & B and VSI data are both displayed on the G5's I anticipate not having to scan the old instruments for this info after becoming familiar with the G5 operation (unless for a backup/failure situation).

The estimate for the above installation - Labor and Garmin G5's $6,600.
The quote to swap out our Century 1 autopilot with a Garmin GFC500 another $11,500.
This avionics tech has not seen the dual cue display on the Garmin attitude indicator before, maybe it is a new format? When we install a new autopilot I am still thinking I would like to use the dual cue format. And I am still curious if the pilot can select between the command bar format & dual cue format or if that has to be programmed at the time of installation?

Comments please? Or additional suggestions?

Last edited:
I thought about putting the G5s there for about 30 minutes, there just isn't enough room for them without a lot of surgery trying to get them in there IMHO. There is probably a giant rectangular hole at the current ATT & DG location as those were shock mounted.

I wouldn't be surprised if control lock hole was blocked in your proposal, not exactly a deal breaker but still another negative IMHO.

Folks with poor vision it might make sense to put them where you're proposing

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/says-it-all-really.110878/

The command bars are going to be programmed at installation. Its probably required by STC to be a certain way. No they don't change color with VOR racking, those are navaid displays that do that. The command bars show only the direction the fight director wants you/autopilot to go, it is not a course deviation display.

We fly two sets of G5s, a 182 shown in the link above, and a 177 which has the G5s directly above the yoke shaft (where the original ATT & DG were, no one really cares about the 177 arrangement meeting "purity standards" lol

Last edited:
I thought about putting the G5s there for about 30 minutes, there just isn't enough room for them without a lot of surgery trying to get them in there IMHO. There is probably a giant rectangular hole at the current ATT & DG location as those were shock mounted.

I wouldn't be surprised if control lock hole was blocked in your proposal, not exactly a deal breaker but still another negative IMHO.

Folks with poor vision it might make sense to put them where you're proposing

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/says-it-all-really.110878/

The command bars are going to be programmed at installation. Its probably required by STC to be a certain way. No they don't change color with VOR racking, those are navaid displays that do that. The command bars show only the direction the fight director wants you/autopilot to go, it is not a course deviation display.

We fly two sets of G5s, a 182 shown in the link above, and a 177 which has the G5s directly above the yoke shaft (where the original ATT & DG were, no one really cares about the 177 arrangement meeting "purity standards" lol
I had not thought about the control lock. That might be a reason to scuttle the move to the right? Thanks for suggesting we look at that.
Does the autopilot need to be engaged before the command bars appear on the AI G5?

The 177 panel has a bit better layout than the 182 to begin with
I had not thought about the control lock. That might be a reason to scuttle the move to the right? Thanks for suggesting we look at that.
Does the autopilot need to be engaged before the command bars appear on the AI G5?

Command bars come on simultaneously with the AP activation or when you press FD (with AP off).

You must press FD to turn off command bars even if you kicked off the AP

If that’s the price for dual G5 and 11.5 for GFC, it’s a very good price

Are you getting the electric pitch trim option?

Back