G5 HSI to replace current VOR/ILS indicator?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Alright...so take it easy on me as I have never used an HSI and I am not really all that familiar with them.

But you couldn't replace a VOR/ILS indicator with the G5 HSI right? You can't shoot an ILS with the G5 HSI...only localizer or VOR approach?

Assume I had the GNC 255 NAV/COMM hooked up to it.

Thanks

Yes, you can replace a VOR/ILS indicator with an HSI. The G5 has a GS needle, so you would be able to fly ILS, LPV, and LNAV/VNAV approaches just fine. It appears on the right side of the display.

Random picture from the internet:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/R...0pckzEYOHyGTzw26i6i8oqW2DW9_KDa3=w374-h399-no

See the small indicator on the right side? That's the GS "needle". Granted, it's nowhere near as prominent as you're used to, but that's it.

Yes, you can replace a VOR/ILS indicator with an HSI. The G5 has a GS needle, so you would be able to fly ILS, LPV, and LNAV/VNAV approaches just fine. It appears on the right side of the display.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/R...0pckzEYOHyGTzw26i6i8oqW2DW9_KDa3=w374-h399-no

See the small indicator on the right side? That's the GS "needle". Granted, it's nowhere near as prominent as you're used to, but that's it.

Thanks! Bnt83 private messaged me and answered a bunch of questions as well. Thank you all!

"...nowhere near as prominent as you're used to..." Yeah. That was causing me problems when I first used them. My brain was getting crossed up and seeing the little symbols on the side as the airplane instead of the Glideslope. It's easy to interpret a needle that crosses the entire instrument as the Glideslope. The Glideslope being the little 'dot' or arrow is a different thing. I tried to fly the little 'symbol' thingie back down to the 'line.' Oops

I figured so. It would be silly not to. I deleted the question just after asking it but you had already answered

Phew! Thought you were here to ruin my grand plan and tell me I couldn’t do such a thing!

Typically HSI's have a remote compass, which would drive up costs. Mo,idea how garmin handles it.

Most of the Comanche twins and singles are, so far, installing the GMU11 in the tailcone somewhere. Quite convenient. I'm aware of one PA-24 which mounted the magnetometer on an outboard wing rib. Easy access through an inspection panel.

Stoked to shoot some approaches with this G5 HSI...should be awesome.

Back