G430/530W Simulator Exercise Scenarios

Banjo33

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Banjo33
I have a 430/530 combo in my plane as well as the sims downloaded on my computer and would like to make better use of my simulator time. Has anyone seen any free "exercise scenarios" online? I could make some myself, but would rather not reinvent the wheel if there's already something available.

Put in a 3 leg-flight plan. After passing 2nd waypoint, pick a different airport for landing and load the approach without doing Direct-Enter-Enter.

Put in a 3 leg-flight plan. After passing 2nd waypoint, pick a different airport for landing and load the approach without doing Direct-Enter-Enter.

Good one!

In practice, I input the new destination in front of the old destination to begin navigating properly. Then, deleted the old destination and approach and uploaded the new approach.

I sometimes do a short video in response to questions I commonly see in forums. Here's a few of the common secarios.

Change the approach. The airport has parallel runways. You've been told to expect 5L and have loaded the approach. As you get close, Approach sends you to the other one.

Change the IAF. It's a variation. In this case, you've loaded the approach with an IAF, after which Approach clears you direct to a different IAF or an IF.

ATC shortcut. One of a number of possible variations on amended clearances, Your flight plan is loaded ad ATC gives you direct to a waypoint that is not already in your flight plan. Another variation gives you a reroute adding waypoints followed by "remainder of route unchanged."

Intercept V###. Old standby for the GNS series since it doesn't do airways. Your clearance is loaded, you are receiving departure vectors followed by, "Intercept V..."

Two other old standbys- any scenario that illustrates the difference between "activate leg" and "direct" and any scenario that shows the problem with using VTF instead of an IAF when loading an approach (I have heard there may be an update - current or upcoming - to correct this).

Thank you! I'll start building my own scenarios with your recommendations.

(I have heard there may be an update - current or upcoming - to correct this).

i.e. a GARMIN update?

When I was going through that phase, what I did was to start at the beginning of the user manual and work my way thorough it, setting up every example for myself and thinking up variations as I went. That may not give you everything you want, but if you haven't done that as a first step I recommend it.

I also think that training with the G430 simulator is a good first step for learning the G1000. The navigation logic is identical and IMO the 430 sim is easier to work with than the G1000 sim. The biggest issue I have found for myself, having started with a G430, is that I forget about the G1000 softkeys and sometimes do things the hard way.

......Intercept V###. Old standby for the GNS series since it doesn't do airways. Your clearance is loaded, you are receiving departure vectors followed by, "Intercept V..."

Two other old standbys- any scenario that illustrates the difference between "activate leg" and "direct" and any scenario that shows the problem with using VTF instead of an IAF when loading an approach (I have heard there may be an update - current or upcoming - to correct this).

BTDT on both scenarios.......thanks Philly!

I posted a flight/route that my CFII got leaving KILG, (Wilmington DE), then changed once handed off to another Philly sector. We worked through it and similar scenarios while out knocking off some rust.

Here is the example he experienced departing KILG for Leesburg, KJYO.
I don't recall his exact clearance but this is how knowing what to chug and plug can make life easier.
On departure he was given vectors to join V469. Ok the GLOMO intersection is out so he has to add in JOANE (top arrow) second pic, activate that leg between KILG and JOANE and now the GPS and CDI provide guidance to intercept.

The next instruction was to join V408. If you look at the first chart example there is no intersection where the two airways cross, however, GLOMO and ROBRT are already entered. Following the example from our flight today we would select ROBRT (the destination for the GLOMO ROBRT leg) on the second chart and activate it once instructed by ATC to intercept V408. Your instrument flying remains precise and the amended route is not a problem.

Attachments

• mike fltplan 1.JPG
    mike fltplan 1.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 17
  • mike fltpln 2.JPG
    mike fltpln 2.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thank you! I'll start building my own scenarios with your recommendations.
What I like about them is that they arose out of real questions pilot have asked.

Another one, that I think was mentioned here recently (it could have been another forum). You receive the instruction while in flight: proceed direct XYZ VOR and fly the ###° radial outbound.

i.e. a GARMIN update?
yeah. I have not tried to confirm it but have heard somewhere that Garmin was Planning an update that would leave the other waypoints on the approach at least visible on the moving map if VTF is selected, although I'm not sure it would make sense to have them tossed unnecessarily into the flight plan itself.

Here is the example he experienced departing KILG for Leesburg, KJYO. I don't recall his exact clearance but this is how knowing what to chug and plug can make life easier.
On departure he was given vectors to join V469. Ok the GLOMO intersection is out so he has to add in JOANE (top arrow) second pic, activate that leg between KILG and JOANE and now the GPS and CDI provide guidance to intercept.

The next instruction was to join V408. If you look at the first chart example there is no intersection where the two airways cross, however, GLOMO and ROBRT are already entered. Following the example from our flight today we would select ROBRT (the destination for the GLOMO ROBRT leg) on the second chart and activate it once instructed by ATC to intercept V408. Your instrument flying remains precise and the amended route is not a problem.

Fwiw, I just tried this on the sim. For me it was easier to nav via VORs DQO and MXE and the OBS function to get me established on the pertinent Victors. Once established on V408 and with some free time, I began inputting appropriate fixes to allow nav by GPS. Great drill though and I can definitely see that it would be much harder when trying to Aviate/Navigate/Communicate in the real airplane.

Good one!

In practice, I input the new destination in front of the old destination to begin navigating properly. Then, deleted the old destination and approach and uploaded the new approach.

Ok, now do it again (load the approach) without inserting the new destination into your flight plan. Leave the flight plan untouched and no Dir-Ent-Ent.

Ok, now do it again (load the approach) without inserting the new destination into your flight plan. Leave the flight plan untouched and no Dir-Ent-Ent.

Like this: PROC-LOAD APPROACH-input airport at top-ENTER-then select approach?

Took me a second...I appreciate the drills!

Fwiw, I just tried this on the sim. For me it was easier to nav via VORs DQO and MXE and the OBS function to get me established on the pertinent Victors. Once established on V408 and with some free time, I began inputting appropriate fixes to allow nav by GPS. Great drill though and I can definitely see that it would be much harder when trying to Aviate/Navigate/Communicate in the real airplane.
...and isn't learning there are times it's just easier and more efficient to use the VORs a great scenario takeaway?

Like this: PROC-LOAD APPROACH-input airport at top-ENTER-then select approach?

Took me a second...I appreciate the drills!

Or, find the airport from the NRST or Waypoints page, then select the approach from there.

Or, find the airport from the NRST or Waypoints page, then select the approach from there.

Either I'm missing something or the sim doesn't provide that functionality, but I can't load an approach from the NRST page without using DIRECT-ENTER-ENTER?

Either I'm missing something or the sim doesn't provide that functionality, but I can't load an approach from the NRST page without using DIRECT-ENTER-ENTER?

I know you can do the equivalent in the G1000 and think you probably can in the 430/530. But I'll give it a try in the airplane and see.

I don't believe the actual box allows you to load it that way either. I've always used D>ENT>ENT and then hit the PROC button.

If it does it the other way, I'd be curious to know how it's done.

I like this thread. It gives me some good ideas for practice. I don't think I've yet mastered my 430W, so it will be nice to get some practice this way once the airplane is back up and running.

I tried this on the sim and couldn't figure out how to do it either without going the D-> Enter Enter route.

Ok. Put in some flight plan so that you have a destination. If you hit PROC, that's where it will select approaches.

Go to the NRST page and pick some other airport. Select it. This places you in the Waypoint chapter with that airport selected. Turn the cursor off and scroll over to the 4th page in the Waypoint chapter. Activate the cursor scroll down to select approach and transition. Then press MENU to load it or insert it into the flight plane. No Direct-Enter-Enter required.

Another one to try out is creating a user waypoint.

I just read another post that was asking how to do this. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1987470#post1987470

If ATC gives you XYZ VOR 128* radial DME 81, its nice to know the buttonology to do it on the fly. I just did it both ways and using the iPad with foreflight made it a snap. Then with a click it uploads to the 530....too easy. On the ipad, XYZ/128/81 creates the waypoint...to many steps to count on my 530.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Another little 430/530 trick (that unfortunately doesn't work in the G1000). If you highlight the starting waypoint of any flight plan leg, Dir-Dir-Ent makes it the active leg.

Most of my flying is GPS based. That said in many parts of the country you fly airways and radials.

Use the OBS to follow two intersecting airways with no fix at the intersection.
Use the OBS to take off RW heading and join a radial to a 20 mile dme point and resume own navigation.
Calculate whether you can get from 10K to 4K at a fix and what rate of descent you need to get there.

Back