G3X Touch clock as IFR clock?

CA182R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CA182R
I'm in the process of redoing my panel primarily by replacing every instrument with a G3X Touch PFD system. And, I'm also doing IFR training. I'm wondering whether the clock displayed on the G3X Touch can serve as the clock requirement for IFR.

FAR 91.205(d)(6) states "A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.". To my knowledge, the clock on the G3X Touch is always presented and visible, and it displays seconds. So, I think it can serve as the IFR clock. It's as if it was purposely designed for that (probably was)!

But maybe I'm missing something... Any thoughts or counter views?

Thank you.

It is legal as an IFR clock. But if the G3X goes dark and you find yourself needing to fly a hold or an approach you might miss it.

If it is always present and has a second hand. If it goes away based on what screen you're on, then some DPE's might not consider it legit. I think it's always present on the G3X. It isn't on my GNC-355 unless I'm on the timer page. The clock on the map screen doesn't have seconds. :(

Any thoughts or counter views?
FYI: usually when a 3rd party installation replaces an existing instrument/gauge requirement it will be noted in the approval/installation docs as such.

There is a reference in the 91.205(a) that has created questions on this type replacement in the past on similar installations:
"aircraft contains the instruments and equipment specified in those paragraphs (or FAA-approved equivalents)"

Perhaps a quick check in the G3X docs to see if the clock is listed or a call to Garmin support will get you an answer. I

Last edited:
Great information, especially the legal interpretation letter, which I too will save and print.

This may help:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/Interpretations/data/interps/2016/Nkugba - (2016) Legal Interpretation.pdf

I printed it off and kept it in my glovebox in case the DPE asked me about my placarded INOP clock for my IR checkride (I put the fuse in a ziploc stapled to the print off and showed in my logs that I removed it). I use my panel GPS as primary and transponder as backup.
Note that the letter says "with a permanent clock presentation". Whether someone raises an alarm is going to depend on that person's definition of "permanent".

Back