G3X Touch Autopilot w/ non-Garmin servos?

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
I'm upgrading the panel in my RV-9A and looking to put in a G3X Touch.
I currently have a 2-axis TruTrak autopilot.
I intend to use the G3X as the autopilot.
Does anyone know if I can continue to use my existing servos, or if I need to replace them with the GSA-28 servos?

Does anyone know if I can continue to use my existing servos, or if I need to replace them with the GSA-28 servos?

There is nothing in the G3X manual which indicates 3rd party servos are supported. Garmin is like Apple - it is pretty closed architecture.

Says the guy with a G3X system, two Garmin servos in the plane, and two Trutrak servos in the basement...

You need the Garmin servos. They're not "dumb" servos, they actually have some brains in them, and IIRC rather than being sent an analog signal from a computer, they are in the loop on the CANbus and get digital signals sent to them.

You need the Garmin servos. They're not "dumb" servos, they actually have some brains in them, and IIRC rather than being sent an analog signal from a computer, they are in the loop on the CANbus and get digital signals sent to them.
That makes a lot of sense...thank you

The G3X can drive the TruTrak, but it will not drive the TruTrak servos directly.

There is nothing in the G3X manual which indicates 3rd party servos are supported. Garmin is like Apple - it is pretty closed architecture...

I'm not aware of any servo's in recent times that work with a different manufacturers head unit. Not sure any were ever interchangeable. Usually the STC dictates servo compatibility. An exception is Avidyne and Bendix King with new head units STC'd to legacy century to Stec servos. There are likely other examples, but their STC will spell out compatibility.

GSA-28s are about $750 each and are impressive little units. You can find chatter about Garmin with TruTrak on the Van's site but it mostly is about the 305 and 307 control units and using the flight director. And on that point, if you really expect to use your auto pilot you should consider a separate controller.

Back