Further instrument difficulties

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Hear me out, perhaps I can better process what is going on and what I need to do, perhaps get insight or wisdom from the flying illuminati of POA.

Background. I own my own C172. Had fun getting my PPL with 3 instructors, been working on instruments for a while. First 40 hours or so (summer/fall 2021) was dual with a CFII who said I was getting close. Business interests at home and his moving cut back on training. When spring came around, was to hire in a travelling accelerated guy but days before he backed out for medical concerns. Found another accelerated program, had to wait to get down there. Completed most of the training, perhaps could have been ready to test but did my first so called hard IFR day while hand flying. My hand flying skills were sub par due to overuse of a well equipped plane, I let the AP do a lot of work. The IFR day really shook me up and I said "hell no" to flying more, tucked my tail between my legs and came home. Found another CFII locally, we've been flying. Took checkride this past w/e, got through the oral, failed practical. Was to retest this week but had another rough day yesterday, not to standard.

Other. My plane is on the list for significant upgrades the rest of the year. Engine is sitting in a shop, will get new avionics and paint. I'd rather not delay the engine install at this point.

Insights and thoughts:

1. First CFII experience was good. I basically understood the rules, was reasonably proficient flying, likely just too much bouncing around on final segments. No specific advice given to improve things.

2. Accelerated flying program? I expect that anyone could question their abilities after the day I had. I was not proficient hand flying to standards and it seemed like a lot of work. I felt like I'd be dead if single pilot hard IFR that day. It felt like the plane was battered +/- 15 degrees bank, +/- 10 degrees pitch, and +/- 200 feet seemingly with no inputs, all while I tried to hand fly to standards. I asked the CFII after if the issue was me or the day, CFII said the issue was me...

3. More recent experience, especially after getting feedback here, has focused on ONLY hand flying the plane. I did some work on Oscar patterns, Bravo patterns and other things to help internalize hand flying skills. I better came to understand that for my plane, cruise 2300 RPM or better, slower cruise 2100 RPM, normal descent 1700 RPM, dive and drive descent 1500. I've gotten better on scanning and am better with holding heading and altitude. I try and set up for 90 MPH approaches, trimming for that airspeed with only subtle corrections. I think I am better with flying a heading and correcting based upon what the needles or CDI tells me.

4. Bumpy ride days still make me anxious but that is improved. On one flight my CFII really stressed to just let the plane do what it wants to do, not over correct. I had him demonstrate, and while he certainly seemed relaxed, I noted that the plane remained +/- 250 feet, the same as it was for me. It helped to see that some of this is not me, some days are just like that. No need to stress constantly fighting the plane.

5. Checkride failure. This is embarrassing. I set a from indicator tracking to a VOR, was barely getting to the point of recognizing I needed to fly reverse sensing when he failed me. I had not flown with VORs like this in a long time, I really should have prepped better. After the fact, CFII said he assumed I knew them. Circle to land was a bust also... In general I have gone missed at the VDP or MDH, not flown to the missed approach point. I had flown a beautiful approach, I think DPE thought I had AP on as he reached over to turn it off. At my altitude he said I could not see runway yet so I went missed. At maybe plus 50-100 feet he said I could see the runway, take off foggles and land. I put in 40 flaps and dove for runway, clearance was for circle to land. I was not thinking well, his "AWOS" wx was suggestive that I would be able to land at the minimums, I was not connecting the dots.

So, we've gone out to fly some more and worked on VOR tracking, intercepting, using two to locate waypoints and airports. I'm focused on flying to the missed approach point, not going missed at the VDP. I am capable to flying good stabilized approaches, figured I would pass a retest.

Except, yesterday flying a VOR approach with foggles on I got too far off course, potentially a bust. I was needing to fly 215 for a 197 runway, got close to the ground and was off to the right. We went back around again, set up. I was above minimums, CFII asked me what would happen if I took hands off, I showed him the plane would fly straight and level. A few seconds later something changed, got pushed around a bit. The rest of the approach was a struggle with both heading and altitude. CFII said I was right back at the fighting the airplane mode, over controlling. I clearly had repeated issues going below segment minimums. I could tell at this point that I would not be ready to take a practical retest. CFII flew some briefly while trying to teach, he went off course also. Note, after landing someone in a 182 called off his departure until the wx was better.

Local wx yesterday was interesting. It was IFR early with 800' OVC, winds were 10+ at takeoff. At 3000' the reports were 27 kts, and I recall 10G15 generally inline with intended runway. Home airport did comment on winds being variable say 200-250 degrees.

I've added cloud ahoy for post flight analysis. Approach track at 15-20 kt right quartering headwinds consistent with track I needed to fly. I expect winds were variable based upon how the plane flew. An observation using cloud ahoy, on days where I plane a flight the scores are 90 plus. On days where we just go do stuff is when the scores degrade. Yesterday was a just go do stuff day.

So, in summary, I think I have the knowledge to do this. Things are slowing down in the plane. I have 240 hrs PIC, lots of IFR training over the past year. My hand flying is proficient, my calm air flying is good. Add in some light chop or inconsistent winds and my flying degrades. I am aware enough of such things to call off approaches.

My mission in flying is to have fun, much of which has been lacking during IFR training. It has been fun to be fully engaged in the process, to improve, to grow, but it is not fun to not take any real flights with my wife. I have this expensive toy and she is not enjoying the benefits. My plan was to get upgrades, IFR, fly a bit this year, then go see the country early 2023.

My options at this point, perhaps there are more.

1. Screw the pressure and IR rating. Just fly for a while, consider coming back to it in 2023. Work some on things visually in the interim.

2. Keep on pushing through until comfortable, my plane or otherwise.

3. Recognize that wx plays a role and play a fair wx checkride game. Go if calm, don't test if bumpy.

4. Maybe try another CFII? Not sure if this would help, I think just more time and experience needed.

5. A blended approach. Aim for different examiner. Well established what checkride is like. Train a bit more at a school that knows the DPE standards well. Potential schools might have better/smoother air as they are further inland. I'd have to learn how to work a 430 GPS better.

My priorities at this point
-engine ought not rust on the ground while I chase a rating
-make wife happy with some VFR flights
-coordinate further flying with available avionics upgrades and paint.
-consider if this is a development plateau and if time, training, or more flying will help overcome.
-consider calm air practical testing

So this is wordy, but it is keeping me from sleeping running all this through my noggin. Any advice or insight to offer?

Thanks.

It sounds like a lot of your problem comes from working yourself up into a tense ball of nerves. I was largely the same way through my instrument training, overthinking and overcriticizing everything I did. Couldn't perform a proper hold to save my life.

Getting out from under the hood for a bit is a good idea. Go have some fun flights, make wife **and yourself** happy. Reaffirm yourself that yes, you still know how to fly.

Maybe even shoot a few approaches VFR for funsies, it helps a lot more than most give it credit for. Makes it a lot easier for your overworked brain to conceptualize what's going on in the clouds/under the hood.

I wouldn't wait till '23 to start back up though. Just make sure you have a good balance between training flights and going up just for the joy of flying. Say, at least once every few lessons. Don't turn flying into a chore; that alone multiplies the stress factor of training, especially IR.

Edit to add: I don't think you should worry about changing examiners, schools, all that. Bottom line, you just need to chill out. Flying is fun, let it be fun. Challenging, yes. But fun! Ride through the bumps with a relaxed two-finger grip on the yoke. Literally and figuratively.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're "pressing" too much both in the air and on the ground trying to "make things happen". Might help in the air if you try to let the wind work for you instead of fighting it. Also, everything you need to do is an ACS task to be demonstrated, like the circle to land you made into a straight-in (a "too late" impromptu one, at that). Thinking through your flights task by task might help keep your eye on the ball. On the ground, remind yourself IFR training is a marathon not a sprint. Embrace the hard-earned lessons as experience better gained before your rating than after it.

It sounds like much of the issue is over-controlling. As a former over-controller, there are a number of causes and just as many bad results. You end up fixating on and chasing instruments. The attempt to exercise control results in loss of adequate control. Of course weather is a factor in altitude and heading excursions, but a tight grip and fixation on one or two instruments in an attempt to correct makes it worse not better. It actually prevents you from noticing the excursions early enough to make smaller corrections sooner.

I think there are only two ways to overcome overcontrol and both involve the hood being off in good VFR conditions. One is to fly approaches eyes open. The goal is to watch and see exactly how little you need to do to maintain alignment on the FAC. The other is to watch someone else overcontrol. You sit there as safety pilot or back seat during someone else's lesson and think, "why is he turning that much?!!?"

yeah there are always knowledge gaps here and there. We see them daily (sometimes hourly) here. But I agree with @drummer4468's "tense ball of nerves" comment. The result is "overcontrolling" yourself.

I would keep working on it. Too many people get caught up in how long it takes, stop worrying about it. I took longer than average, but got to fly in a lot of lousy weather. When it clicks you'll know.

The weather you describe is pretty standard for bad weather days. You need to be comfortable in it hand flying. Rather than flying approaches fly around having your instructor giving you tasks to do while under the hood. Aviate, navigate, communicate. Don't forget that. If you have to push a button then back to the instruments to stay in control then that is how you do it. Never allow yourself to be rushed. Ask for delay vectors if you need time.

My instructor grilled me pretty hard before my check ride. He didn't assume I had anything down until I proved it. Tell your instructor you want this too. You're almost there, good luck.

Last edited:
Hear me out, perhaps I can better process what is going on and what I need to do, perhaps get insight or wisdom from the flying illuminati of POA.

You wrote a long post so I won't respond to everything, but will pick out a few things to comment on.

On #2: It's not unusual to be +/- 200 feet on bumpy days, but you will have to find a way to get precise if you want to successfully execute instrument procedures. What is more concerning is the +/- 10 degree pitch variations. That is not acceptable and you're liable to put yourself into an unusual attitude one day flying like that. Are you using the primary/supporting method, or the control performance method? Either way, it sounds like you are not using your attitude indicator enough. Hit a bump? Need to look at a chart? Get distracted? The first thing you go back to is the AI. Even with the primary/supporting method, the primary instrument for all attitude changes is the AI.

On #3: This should literally have been the very first thing you did in instrument training. Not something you do at the end. Instrument flying is all about procedures and multitasking. Being able to fly smoothly and accurately is a prerequisite.

On #5: Mixing up TO/FROM is a mistake that might be expected of a student pilot. Not a 240-hour private pilot on an instrument checkride. Not acceptable. Perhaps since you're struggling to just fly the plane smoothly and accurately, you have an insufficient amount of spare brain capacity to perform the other duties necessary for instrument flight. So maybe it's a side effect of point 2. Also doing a straight-in landing when you've been cleared for a circle to land on a different runway is no bueno. Could be more of the same side effect.

In general, you stated you have 240 hours of PIC time. This could be 240 hours of flying sloppily, or on autopilot. I don't know, but in any case, it's easy to pick up and practice bad habits, and with that much practice, it could be very difficult to unlearn them.

Advice time. You have two options...either keep trying, or take a breather from instrument work and do something fun for awhile. Maybe work on your commercial pilot certificate, get a tailwheel endorsement, fly a glider or seaplane, get some spin training. Anything that will increase your confidence and ability to feel and become one with the airplane. You will probably eventually get bored of flying only on nice weather days and will want the IR even more, and will be more prepared for it mentally and skill wise. If you decide to keep trying for the IR now, find an instructor that is focused on flying technique that can identify and address your weaknesses, and as always with instrument training, keep the frequency of flights high so you don't rust between lessons.

Are you using the primary/supporting method, or the control performance method? Either way, it sounds like you are not using your attitude indicator enough. Hit a bump? Need to look at a chart? Get distracted? The first thing you go back to is the AI. Even with the primary/supporting method, the primary instrument for all attitude changes is the AI.
Agreed with a note.

A very common error is thinking of primary/supporting and control/performance as scanning techniques. C/P looks more like a scan technique than P/S but neither are. They are methods of instrument interpretation, primarily there to help resolve conflicts.

I remember when I was a new CFII. A pilot called me for some recurrent training in hand-flying. Felt he was getting too dependent on the autopilot. Was all over the place and I finally realized it was a form of trying to maintain heading and altitude without the attitude indicator. I said Rod Machado did a survey of airline pilots and they spend 70% of the time looking at the AI. Just like VFR pilots should spend most of the time looking at the big AI out the front window.

Let’s see here. IRA, burn in a motor, install new avionics. That’s a lot of stuff that isn’t mutually conducive to do in that order.

I’d probably hang the new motor, do the avionics, then do IRA. That way, you won’t have to take a long break or increase risk doing IMC with a new motor, then learn new avionics to become proficient for IMC ops.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Finish with the same DPE soon. You only have do the parts you failed. Do it soon. Don’t wait and have to do the entire practical again.

just fly the VOR, circle to land, and missed approach with your CFII. Fly simulated test parts - you know what your DPE will now ask you to do. Fly the same approach, same plate, etc. even if it is at a different airport and VOR

Finish with the same DPE soon. You only have do the parts you failed.
Spot on. The DPE on my redo was quite charming. “I can hold it straight-n-level for you while you do the buttonology (as the task had already been demonstrated).”

Get this app. Helps make VOR a lot clearer. Great training device for home study.

cGilyfRQh63TPX2zgSC2dsGEFvxxhwaXQPJJ7ePHdQmE-bw2rBvLxhC_B-IJ-6GElg=s100

Nav Aid Pro Radio Navigation
Mario SabogalEducation

IciOnDFecb5Xt50Q2jlcNC0LPI7LEGxNojroo-s3AozcyS-vDCwtq4fn7u3wZmRna8OewG9PBrWC-i7i=w56-h14
Everyone

Finish with the same DPE soon. You only have do the parts you failed. Do it soon. Don’t wait and have to do the entire practical again.

just fly the VOR, circle to land, and missed approach with your CFII. Fly simulated test parts - you know what your DPE will now ask you to do. Fly the same approach, same plate, etc. even if it is at a different airport and VOR

Testing with same dpe soon was the plan until the “over control” issue cropped up again.

Have to fly headings headings. Not chasing needles. For course correction I set the heading bug and fly the edges of the bug for the corrections. If consistent correction or more needed move the bug. Sounds like you are flying death grip. Tight grip leads to bad control inputs especially unintended elevator input. Left thumb and first two fingers more on short final- Well trimmed plane should be able to keep altitude with minimal control inputs and power changes. Your struggling on the basic flight, overwhelmed so you can’t even think straight.
Different idea here:
might be helpful to be a safety pilot for someone else. Or sit right seat while some else does some IMC work. Just to sit back and watch the scan watch the inputs see someone stay ahead of the plane not get behind.

Testing with same dpe soon was the plan until the “over control” issue cropped up again.
Keep with that plan. Keep working with your cfii

This is for anyone - fly approaches, holds, etc by yourself VFR as often as possible. 3-4 times per week if you can. Once you get under the hood, you will find that it is much easier than what you expect.

I fly 80% of my VFR flights on a IFR FP and fly a full approach for one reason - it keeps me ready to fly in IMC conditions much easier and much more natural.

The same idea would apply to training.

Many years ago I figured out that if I was going to be a good IFR pilot then I needed to fly IFR whether I was in in IMC or VMC.

I think it works best for me like that.

4RNB:
This is about "burn in" of a new and complex psychomotor task....control of flight by instruments. To be an effective IFR pilot you have to have enough processor capability left over, to look ahead, negotiate, and plan. When the skills are new, they occupy most of the processor.

In time, you will do all the tasks and will detect you had the VOR dialed into reverse sense mode; you'll just "pick it up". In a G1000 setup you'll just fly heading, and not alow the gee-whiz bang tapes to be chased.

Yes economics are a factor but when you own your own, they are less so. Stephen has it right- just go out and fly dual (with a CFI or safety pilot) and get those skills burned into second nature.

Over T-day I ventrued out to the Pac. NW- I had forgotten how lousy the weather is out there at the end of Nov and flew three approaches to ROCK bottom minimums- and single pilot. You just get the basic stuff "burned into background".

I had an old instructor say, "you eat the pizza one bite at a time so as to not get indigestion". So, Keep eating!

CFII

While I understand the reasoning, I disagree…it sounds to me like some fundamental issues that need to be addressed rather than being consistently proficient and just brain-farting something on the checkride. If the OP can get them addressed before the recheck becomes a whole new checkride, great, but unless he has a plan to improve afterward, it’s going to be a long-term problem.

full disclosure—roughly 30% of the checkrides I give (mostly to professional pilots) have at least one UNSAT maneuver. Most of them are retrain/recheck/make a note on the 8410 and send them on their way. The most common reason is directly related to the most common loss of airframes in type. They come back the next time and we have to drag them kicking and screaming up to standard. Lather, rinse, repeat. Merely passing a checkride does not equate to proficiency.

You only have do the parts you failed. Do it soon. Don’t wait and have to do the entire practical again.

While I understand the reasoning, I disagree…it sounds to me like some fundamental issues that need to be addressed rather than being consistently proficient and just brain-farting something on the checkride

Agree with Maule. OP didn't specify but it didn't seem like he got super far into the checkride before the bust. I am guessing that if the scenario was only a few tasks remaining, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Agree with Maule. OP didn't specify but it didn't seem like he got super far into the checkride before the bust. I am guessing that if the scenario was only a few tasks remaining, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Good question - need to determine what was missed. He only mentioned VOR and Circle to Land; I'm assuming those two are what remains unless the OP can correct me on that.

IF those are the only two thing, my POV is still to finish. Passing the PPL or IR check ride doesn't make one proficient. It means a pilot is good enough to reasonably not kill him/herself or others. It is truly a license to learn. A new PPL is not going to usually proficient - with additional flying, training, etc., you get better. Same for IR. In a way, a pilot needs the IR check ride pass so he/she can continue to train with a SP on approaches under the hood, fly in VFR under IFR to get better at flying under ATC, holding altitude, course, etc.

CFII SHOULD take you through a few mock check rides before signing you off for the re test, specifically focusing on the specific VOR and circle to land approaches that the DPE has to choose from that could be on your re test.

My checkride was a bust at the start, only a hold was sufficient. After my landing we did not go back up to continue. I fully expect that at this point, on a clear day, I would pass at a moments notice. My cfii agreed until the bad vor approach. I now think of it as back tracking or a two foot forward one foot back kind of thing.

I really appreciate all the feedback and thoughts shared here.

if I pass any time soon I will not think of myself as capable of hard ifr stuff. I’ll follow personal mins and expand my flying.

for training at this point I think I will focus on crosswind approaches, listen to my cfii for other things to do.

why has this happened to me?
The plane is highly capable with gadgets that I have used too much. My flying abilities have not developed as well if I were using a clapped out school plane. My hand flying has improved greatly. My application of what I know and have been taught must not be as ingrained as it will be in the future.

Sounds like you have a plan thought out. Good for you!

Have an frank conversation with your CFII. He/she signed you off for the test. To what degree were you not prepared vs to what degree did you get too keyed up for the test?

If more the latter, the repeat mock check rides and desensitize yourself as much as possible.

BTW - I’d rather have a wing on fire than do a check ride. Why? IDK. Oral is enjoyable I found.

2nd BTW - if fail a part of a check ride, suck it up, relax because pressure is off, and ask to continue. That way you only have to repeat what part(s) is failed.

Back