Fundraiser - New Server ($1000)

Things are looking pretty good--we'll likely migrate sometime after midnight tonight.

Things are looking pretty good--we'll likely migrate sometime after midnight tonight.

Geez, Jesse. It used to take me 3 workdays or more (between interruptions) to have a new server ready and that was when it was already built.

We're moving from Virginia to Nebraska. Be back soon--go read the purple board or something.

:rofl:

And we're back up... Thanks Jesse! :yes:

What was the total downtime, anyway? It looked to be only a minute or two...

Looks like that was a test or so. The current IP the DNS is resolving too is from Virginia still.

Looks like that was a test or so. The current IP the DNS is resolving too is from Virginia still.

No. It's the real deal. DNS is slow--I'm nating traffic via iptables from the old IP to the new ip. You're being routed through the old server to the new one..you just don't know it :)

I do this to prevent problems with people having the wrong DNS info...makes migrations faster.

Code:
/etc/init.d/iptables restart
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 216.58.248.126:80
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 8080 -j DNAT --to-destination 216.58.248.126:8080

No. It's the real deal. DNS is slow--I'm nating traffic via iptables from the old IP to the new ip. You're being routed through the old server to the new one..you just don't know it :)

I do this to prevent problems with people having the wrong DNS info...makes migrations faster.
The guy is amazing. :cheers:

And there I was gonna gripe that I almost lost a long post.

At the top between FAQ and Members list. It is titled "Donation"
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/awc_dsl.php?do=donation

Jesse, POA management:

It is my distinct feeling that this is a little too discrete. I have not seen the link since it was moved. I think donations (which are designed only to reimburse Jesse of his out of pocket expenses) are probably dead now.
If I may, I would like to suggest the link be available at least on these two locations:
Home
Forums
(I would also like to see it above New Posts despite the one request to the contrary)

Last edited:
>(I would also like to see it above New Posts despite....)

My request was wrt the amount of vertical
space used by the progress bar.

How about the donation link more prominent at the top next to the "home" "links database" photo gallery" etc links?

Last edited:
>(I would also like to see it above New Posts despite the one complaint)

request - not compliant. And the request was wrt the amount of vertical
space used by the progress bar.

How about the donation link more prominent at the top next to the "home" "links database" photo gallery" etc links?
Ask and it shall be done!

Jesse's AMAZING!

Jesse, POA management:

It is my distinct feeling that this is a little too discrete. I have not seen the link since it was moved. I think donations (which are designed only to reimburse Jesse of his out of pocket expenses) are probably dead now.
If I may, I would like to suggest the link be available at least on these two locations:
Home
Forums
(I would also like to see it above New Posts despite the one request to the contrary)
Well -- the system is basically made to display that goal at the top of the page. I could set a goal and do it that way-- I'm not sure that doing so would be appropriate.

Well -- the system is basically made to display that goal at the top of the page. I could set a goal and do it that way-- I'm not sure that doing so would be appropriate.

I think it would be helpful--we'll know when we've reached it!

Jesse, thanks for all the help and work you do. I just threw you a few bones to help offset some of your costs, and I plan on sending more in the next pay period.

I got a webcam pic of the new PoA server being set up. Ssshhhh don't tell Jesse we can see him working.

54408562_0062922720_SM.jpg

Hey, don't knock it. You could do a lot with the 360/50 shown in that picture...
I *DID* do a lot with a 360! The first computer I ever had access to was an IBM 360 in HS. I then got to move up to HP-21MXs, then some VAX's, a microVAX and a Cray XMP. Then I got down graded to an IBM 8088 based PC :nonod: when I left the government sector went into the private sector. That was a huge downshift.

Hey, don't knock it. You could do a lot with the 360/50 shown in that picture...

I *DID* do a lot with a 360! The first computer I ever had access to was an IBM 360 in HS. I then got to move up to HP-21MXs, then some VAX's, a microVAX and a Cray XMP. Then I got down graded to an IBM 8088 based PC :nonod: when I left the government sector went into the private sector. That was a huge downshift.

:rofl: Is that the whole CPU? I thought they were at least a 30 foot row of cabinets.

I was going to ask if that guy was wearing a sweater but of course, it's a suit.

It's nice they let women in, if only as tape operators. As I mentioned in that "Moon Machines" episode they had a half dozen people scurrying around.

I'll bet in those days they actually thought computer geeks were professionals. *sigh*

Last edited:
Those units in the background bring memories of my first involvement with data processing. Luckily, all I had to do was fill out different P.O forms, mchdse X-fers, et al; and "The Girls" would key-punch my stuff which got fed into the Univac 9180. That sucker seemed huge, and was the 2nd largest system in Maine except for the State of Maine's own system up at the Puzzle Palace. And can y'all imagine the problem if anyone dropped a box of Punch Cards?

HR

yeah but i'll bet back then they just smoked around the computers.

In the office for sure. When when I started in the real paying world, we had to deal with monitors that were brown with smoke residue.

Back in the Jurassic age, when I first started working in office environments, it was considered acceptable for co-workers to blow cigarette smoke into one another's faces—

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/columnists/advice/chi-0414-ask-amyapr14,0,2034165.column

..Since you ask--As of right now, I am $1460.29 in the red.

Thanks for the update, Jesse! I know you don't like to make it a public thing, but I also know the rest of us want to make sure one member isn't stuck with the financial burden of this board. It's a community, time to fund the community chest!

If this so-called management council wants non-transparent control and to be unanswerable to no one as they are now, all funding should come from their pockets.

Not a single dime should have ever come from any other person, least of all, a single individual who was donating their time and talent.

If this so-called management council wants non-transparent control and to be unanswerable to no one as they are now, all funding should come from their pockets.

Not a single dime should have ever come from any other person, least of all, a single individual who was donating their time and talent.

You're free not to chip in, or even to visit, if you so choose.

Is PoA a non profit yet?

The paperwork has been filed. Slowly but surely the transition from sole proprietorship (which is what it has been legally if not operationally) to "corporate" status is taking place. Bank accounts, domain titles, licenses, etc. all have to go through transfers of ownership now, and that never goes quickly.

I went quite a lot out of pocket when I was doing the initial setup work for PoA, donating my time and talent, so I'm pretty sure I've got more right than anyone but Jesse to speak on this point - certainly more than some 1 shot user created apparently just to post a little mini rant attempt at a guilt trip.

Nobody asked Jesse to go out of pocket for this. There are options which we had in place prior which were much less personally expensive. Jesse volunteered to take on the server operations, and if he ever decides its too much, the MC can go back to a hosted solution, and both I and the MC will always be grateful for his selfless contribution to something we *all* believe in and spend (or have spent) quite a lot of time on making a success.

Is PoA a non profit yet?
Isn't EVERYTHING aviation non-profit? What's the difference between non-profit and "not for profit" besides poor planning? Non-profit is going broke accidentally, and not for profit is going broke accidentally and then saying "We meant to do that!" :D

Last edited:

I agree.....

Jesse's not part of the Management Council, and actually donates a great deal of time/resources on keeping this site running, which is akin to any other user doing the same. Not an MC member. So I think he should be back in the black some day.

Why would you come out of lurk status to point this out?

Actually I have to send in some money. I'll do that before I leave for the holiday wkd. I think I still have Jesse's address somewhere.

Jesse's not part of the Management Council, and actually donates a great deal of time/resources on keeping this site running, which is akin to any other user doing the same. Not an MC member. So I think he should be back in the black some day.
The MC obviously agrees. Why else would they have the fund raiser for him? They and I both think its wonderful how the community has turned out to help him.

But again, Nick - Jesse *volunteered* to take on the hosting functions, and when the MC agreed to it, at the time, the understanding was that Jesse would NOT be out of pocket for it, cause he had the server space already.

If Jesse ever feels the out of pocket expenses are to much, he can raise it with the MC, and the MC can take the burden from him, but please, don't try to lay a responsibility on the MC to ensure Jesse comes out in the black for something he volunteered to do. It doesn't exist.

Back