Fundraiser - New Server ($1000)

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Fundraiser - New Server

Goal $1,000

You might wonder why we need a new server--after all, we're generally the place where folks go to talk about the other boards being down. Well, we're so reliable because I pay a good deal of money out of my pocket to keep this site online and FAST with almost no downtime. To put things in perspective, I have paid over $2000 out of my pocket towards the operating expenses of this board, not including the time invested.

I say the above not because I'm complaining, I love this community and have no qualms with paying, I just believe in making the financial picture known since we're asking for money.

This site is currently ran from a server in Texas. I have access to a local data center where this site can be ran at no cost (to us). The only real cost is the cost of the physical server we need to acquire ($1000). This will eliminate our hosting costs which, yearly, is more than the server itself. The data center and enviornment is more reliable and I can physically access it locally.

Summary

We need to raise $1000:

* We spend $1000 and then our monthly operating costs drop to almost zero.
* The new server is WAY faster (like four times) so the site will be even FASTER
* The data center is more reliable
* I save thousands per year

You may donate via the donation system at the top of the page. Be sure to click "Return to Merchant" at the end of the donation process.

Also, please thank FlyNE, who has helped make this possible.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28186

Last edited:
Maybe you should sell some rides at Gastons.

Over half way there! :)

THANK YOU ALL!

:thumbsup:

BTW, We need OVER $1000 to pay back Jesse for the considerable money he's been spending out of pocket. It's bad enough that he donates lots of valuable time.

Please keep the link there, even after the $1000 is raised... I can't throw anything in the pot til after the 10th, but will be happy to contribute.

I can't wait to see what the little bar does when it passes $1k- maybe crash the server?

(Tee hee)

That's funny, Spike. Somebody make a $101 donation and let's find out (at $900 right now).

That's funny, Spike. Somebody make a $101 donation and let's find out (at $900 right now).
The extra money is rerouted to the Pilots of America Management Council Slush Fund Account. We're eying Cancun as this year's PoA MC Annual Management Retreat.

The extra money is rerouted to the Pilots of America Management Council Slush Fund Account. We're eying Cancun as this year's PoA MC Annual Management Retreat.

Going to look for a used 7-11 Slushy machine for ya...

Based upon the $101 figure Jesse had "mentioned" would put it over, mine(or any) would have solidified the matter.

HR

EDIT: Hmmmmm; I distinctly saw a post somewhere about an at-that-time unidentified $101 figure which would put the then $900 kitty over the top. ???????????? (Another thread - a ghost?)

EDIT #2: Here it was:

Re: Fundraiser - New Server ($1000)

Last edited:
Well if we weren't over before we are now...I guarantee it!

It's not showing as over, sorry! When I made my donation, it showed up on the graph instantly, and I got a confirmation PM from Jesse that he must have automated.

Maybe some people didn't click on the "Return to Merchant" at the end of the donation process?

Last edited:
Standby..trying to make sense of this...I've had to manually enter some payments when people don't click the return to merchant button.

Harley--could you PM me with how much you think you donated and your email address?

Ok. The amount on the page now lines up with what is in the Paypal account. We made it :)

And the board didn't implode when we went over $1,000 :D. now we need to get past $32,768, and really test Jesse's programming skills:devil:

And the board didn't implode when we went over $1,000 :D. now we need to get past $32,768, and really test Jesse's programming skills:devil:

That's gonna test more than that! OTOH, with 3400+ members that's less than another $9 per member if everyone antied up.

You know, we've just shown that the board can make $1K/day. Since we know that extrapolation is sound statistics :)yikes:), this means that we can make $365,000 a year from this board!:rofl:

You know, we've just shown that the board can make $1K/day. Since we know that extrapolation is sound statistics :)yikes:), this means that we can make $365,000 a year from this board!:rofl:

Now I wanna see some anonymous statistics like the number of donors, average, min,max donation, and a cumulative timeline.:D

Test away :D I need an airplane!

Ok. The amount on the page now lines up with what is in the Paypal account. We made it :)

Woot!

Now you need to work on the donation bar code to have it change colors at the $1000 mark. and keep going until it expands the page off the right of the monitor.

At which point Jesse will sell it for $1.5 billion to Google. :rofl:

At which point Jesse will sell it for $1.5 billion to Google. :rofl:
And, of course, share a portion of the proceeds with, say, the top 50 posters, with a disproportionate share going to MC members?:D

Since the total is (currently) over $25,000, are you sure you still don't want an Xserver?

Since the total is (currently) over $25,000, are you sure you still don't want an Xserver?

I love my Macbook Pro--but you couldn't pay me to use a Xserve instead of a PC running Linux. Actually, you can pay me, and folks have...but it cost them way more money considering all the extra trouble the Xserves were.

They really don't make sense in a web environment. Most open source packages are a pain in the ass to get to compile and run correctly on it. Most of the macports/whatever packages blow..

In all seriousness, how did we go from $1005.00 to $28286.00 in a short time?

HR

Back