Funding flight school?

It seemed like they were keeping an unusually large separation between planes, which I found out later on my tower tour that they were doing ATC training all morning. And no T&G, they made me land and taxi back due, possibly due to training.
If that is the case, that would get my goat. There is zero excuse for ATC training to cause degradation of safety or efficiency. They have an instructor plugged in with them that should be forcing them to run efficient spacing or over-keying to make it happen.

If this happens at your airport regularly and you are reasonably assured you are getting crappy service, contact the facility and ask them to do a traffic management review of the time period. Give them your tail number, the time/day it occurred with an explanation of what was going on. Be respectful and understanding that there may have been other external things that you don't know that caused this but they should get back to you with an explanation. It will hopefully result in either an legit explanation so you know you weren't getting screwed or them giving some needed performance management to the trainer to help them train better.

*Disclaimer: All ATC facilities have their own personalities. Your's may or may not have the staffing that larger facilities allow to do this in a timely manner although they should still do it. Large TRACONs and Towers would take your information, review it and get back to you. Smaller facilities are shoot and miss. When you call ask to speak to the supervisor.

I wanted to fly since the fourth grade, when one of my father's friends took me up. I tried twice, but I never had both the time and the money at the same time. I finally managed at age 54!

Get college out of the way. Meantime, (if you have the time) start doing your ground school. After college, get a job and live cheap. You'll get it.

Im managing at 57....

No problem Shayne..
send me link.. ill donate $50 to start.
Do I get a free t-shirt and picture updates on your progress during your training?.

Unless you're going to college for Engneering, nursing, becoming a lawyer or something, I'd skip college, you're just going to have a debt and a useless degree.

Look into the trades, it won't cost you nearly as much as a house, and you'll make more then you would with many of the degrees being sold.

First time post, been browsing for the last couple months. I have my degree in secondary education and am more inclined to agree with you with each day that passes. In a good amount of debt working a pretty low paying job. Although I did know what I was walking into.

HOWEVER I was able to save up compared to when I was a student in college. I planned on pursuing my PPL in college but never had the funds. After working 2 1/2 years I have saved up enough to pay for it pretty much in full. I just completed my medical and have all my ground school materials and will be starting next week.

After working 2 1/2 years I have saved up enough to pay for it pretty much in full. I just completed my medical and have all my ground school materials and will be starting next week.
In my opinion, this is the smart way to do it when your plans are to fly for yourself. Also ensures that lack of funds won't be the reason you are unable to continue training.

Cause he was confronted with the cold hard reality that if you want something you have to earn it?
YUP :) No free lunch on this planet and most certainly not in this industry

In my opinion, this is the smart way to do it when your plans are to fly for yourself. Also ensures that lack of funds won't be the reason you are unable to continue training.

Agree 100%! Plus you may be able to save some by buying block time.

Looking at the profile for the OP, the dude never even logged in after posting the message, so definitely a troll, spammer, whatever.

That said, for anyone in the future who happens to figure out how to use the search thread and finds this thread:

Get off your computer/tablet/phone whatever and pick up some extra income. Finding a job that pays $15/hr should be a no-brainer. Heck, my 13yo neighbor makes $10/hr tax free to babysit my sleeping toddler on the weekends...$60 to do homework! Drive for Uber, deliver packages for amazon, pick up some holiday work with UPS, work as a night security person. At $15/ hour of part-time work, putting in an extra 20 hours of work a week, you should be able to make nine grand in under a year. If you're young and can't find an extra 20 hours to work you are either in medical school or have poor time management.

Back