Fuel Prices...eat your heart out!

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
There are numerous perks to living in this area. One is extremely low taxes. The other is that we typically have some of the best prices on fuel nationwide.

Today riding around town...

Regular unleaded can easily be found for $3.29

Diesel...$3.89

Don't come here!

:no:

:frog:

Yup, we're in the low $3.30's for regular unleaded in the Fort Worth TX area; I've noticed that Oklahoma and Missouri usually have it for even less than we do.

3.43 today in Lansdale PA, north of Philadelphia. BUT,... school is about to start, so that means a lot more people driving,... wonder what that will do with the fuel prices?...

The fuel prices will continue to drop until the election, then depending on how November goes, they will stabilize and go up a bit after the election unless McCain isn't doing well in the beginning of Nov then Georgia will escalate, fuel will go up .50-$1.00 overnight and we'll get out of Iraq and into Georgia about 2 weeks before the election.

With the motorcycle and hybrid, plus the fact that I commute less than 12 miles/day,
I don't think I worry much about fuel prices...

Regular unleaded isn't fuel. 100LL is fuel. Let me know where I can get that for $3.29.

I thought it was weird that unleaded was $1.89 after Oshkosh - I filled up in Wisconsin and then found it was exactly the same down the road from the house - and it went to $4.10 or more thereafter, and has been up and down like $1.94 - $4.20 since.

I figured a dime only means a 2.5% spread at $4.00 a gallon, but still - why hasn't the price dropped now that crude has gone down from $150 to $110?

No windfall profits, huh? :mad:

We paid 4.90 for 100LL in Sulpher Springs, TX the other day while auto unleaded "gas" was 3.40. It's slowly drifting down. But, I doubt it will last.

With the motorcycle and hybrid, plus the fact that I commute less than 12 miles/day,
I don't think I worry much about fuel prices...
Well Bob i don't have a Hybrid ,but my comute is only 9 blocks.
And Reg. unleaded around here ranges from 3.39 (Hess) to 3 .49.
And i wish i could run my Harley on Reg. but it needs High test or better i ran 100 LL through it once a month.
Dave G

Attachments

• Harley 001.jpg
    Harley 001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 8
Well Bob i don't have a Hybrid ,but my comute is only 9 blocks.
And Reg. unleaded around here ranges from 3.39 (Hess) to 3 .49.
And i wish i could run my Harley on Reg. but it needs High test or better i ran 100 LL through it once a month.
Dave G

Don't run 100LL in your Harley. Your valve guides are not square recess cut to handle leaded fuel, they are chamfered for unleaded. If you want to run a higher octane fuel (which I don't understand unless the engine is being optimized for the change between octanes. The lower the octane rating fuel that the engine can sustain operating on will give you the most power and economy.) buy some unleaded racing fuel.

> what % of the crude in the "pipeline" was $150 vs something less?

> what % of the crude in the "pipeline" was $150 vs something less?

What % of the fuel in the pipeline was a from crude that was full $150 a barrel the weeks the crude prices went up? It seemed the pump prices followed the uptick in crude costs about 3 milliseconds. For some reason that relationship never happens when the price of crude goes down.

Last edited:
We had a couple of local stations have a good old fashioned price war the other day here in Houston. Regular unleaded (87 octane) got as low as $2.08! But the average around town for the past 3-4 days has been $3.27-3.29. And it seems like it's still heading downward.
Unfortunately for us, there has been little, if any, downward movement in the local prices of 100LL. Even Jet-A has gotten cheaper... when will 100LL follow?

We had a couple of local stations have a good old fashioned price war the other day here in Houston. Regular unleaded (87 octane) got as low as $2.08! But the average around town for the past 3-4 days has been $3.27-3.29. And it seems like it's still heading downward.
Unfortunately for us, there has been little, if any, downward movement in the local prices of 100LL. Even Jet-A has gotten cheaper... when will 100LL follow?

What we've heard is the refineries only make 100LL in short runs so the price is based on what crude was when they did the run. Our luck, we'll all be paying for 100LL based on $150 a barrel crude for the next year, even when the price went down.

I don't pay that much attention to gas prices but I noticed the other day that a station in Rifle, CO was still above $4/gal. I think it was in the $4.20 range. I was only mildly surprised, though, since gas prices in the mountains tend to be higher. :dunno:

yeah, I don't know either.

I thought it was weird that unleaded was $1.89 after Oshkosh - I filled up in Wisconsin and then found it was exactly the same down the road from the house - and it went to $4.10 or more thereafter, and has been up and down like $1.94 - $4.20 since.

I figured a dime only means a 2.5% spread at $4.00 a gallon, but still - why hasn't the price dropped now that crude has gone down from $150 to $110?

No windfall profits, huh? :mad:

From what I understand it's because were still usung the gas from the more expensive barrels. Once that's used up we'll see the prices fall. There's a lag there.

As much as you enjoy the pleasure of lower gas prices in MO.,
don't you have to pay an annual personal property tax on that
airplane you own?
Lou

airplane you own?
Lou

And their cars, and...

And you all have been brainwashed quite easily I see. Happy that prices are still over $3.00/gallon. I won't be happy unless it drops below $2.00/gallon. (it's pretty much always been over a buck a gallon for 87 since I started driving - so that's my baseline.)

do you take into account inflation?

Regular unleaded can easily be found for $3.29

Diesel...$3.89

Either you're lying or you're apparently not aware that armed robbery is a felony.

Sorry, I'm not buying into the story without pictures of the sign and the gas pump meter. Then it's obviously a photoshop.

Not long ago $70 use to fill my RV up from totally dry to overflowing onto the ground. Gracken smaigl glackin $375.00 two weeks ago and it wasn't even a #)*$ empty tank...

um, no. You said your baseline was the price of gas in 1987. Inflation alone
would cause the price of gas to almost double. In other words, do you
adjust your baseline for inflation?

airplane you own?
Lou

Yes, we do. On the business side last year I had:

A 2008 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel:

A 2002 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4

A 1958 Cessna 182.

And paid...

a measely $1,174.20

I think I can live with that.

All our taxes are quite low here...but yes we do have them, including state income tax.

$3.39 tonight in Austin. I was trying to decide if I should go for a half tank or fill up. It's anyone's guess when it changes again and what direction.

$3.39 tonight in Austin. I was trying to decide if I should go for a half tank or fill up. It's anyone's guess when it changes again and what direction.

$3.77/gal this afternoon at Costco, and that's about as "low" as anywhere around here.

um, no. You said your baseline was the price of gas in 1987. Inflation alone
would cause the price of gas to almost double. In other words, do you
adjust your baseline for inflation?

No, I said it's been a buck (something) a gallon FOR 87 (octane) since I've been driving, until about 2005 or so.

But, if we want to go with your 1987 pricing it was around $0.90 which means taking inflation into account we'd be at $1.80. Still putting it under the $2.00 threshold I was talking about.

Last edited:

I was making a funny. No one around here would believe that price. You had to have typed a wrong number or something. The only ways I can think of to get gas at those unbelieveably low prices is with a siphon hose and pump late at night or with a large caliber hand cannon in your hand aimed at the station attendant while running the pump. Otherwise, forgetabotitain'thappening.

I was making a funny. No one around here would believe that price. You had to have typed a wrong number or something. The only ways I can think of to get gas at those unbelieveably low prices is with a siphon hose and pump late at night or with a large caliber hand cannon in your hand aimed at the station attendant while running the pump. Otherwise, forgetabotitain'thappening.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:goofy:

Ed, gas actually declined quite a bit from 1982 to around 1990; in 1982, the rammin' jammin' best deal in town for gas (in major Texas cities) was $1.21.9 for regular (leaded) and about $1.31 or so for unleaded regular. At that time, tax accounted for $0.09/gallon.

Gas tax now is $0.38.4/gallon (Texas, 20 cents state, 18.4 fed), so the inflation-adjusted price for a gallon of unleaded, from then to now, with tax added back in, is $3.17/gallon (here in Texas)... which is very nearly what we are paying here.

Gas prices have been increasing at way below the core rate of inflation (same with oil prices) for a very long time- the run-up in oil prices and the prices of oil products was inevitable, only question was when it would happen and what would cause it.

None of this is justifying the cost of oil or fuel (or the stunningly ridiculous policies which have placed us right back under the thumbs of the oil producers), just throwing out a little perspective.

Well, since I started driving in 1990, that's what I am basing my baseline on.

Ed, the run-up in 1979-1980 was equally staggering to us as the one we just had, and was similar in its impact; gas was pretty stable in the $0.40-$0.50 range through most of the 70s, then the big supply crisis hit (there was no shortage of fuel- storage tanks were filled to brims- but the Feds had a mandated formula defining how much gas stations were allowed to sell, and it did not accommodate growing population). Gas lines, odd-even days, red flags, green flags, all that. Gas went up, lickety-split, to the $1.20+ range.

Ed, the run-up in 1979-1980 was equally staggering to us as the one we just had, and was similar in its impact; gas was pretty stable in the $0.40-$0.50 range through most of the 70s, then the big supply crisis hit (there was no shortage of fuel- storage tanks were filled to brims- but the Feds had a mandated formula defining how much gas stations were allowed to sell, and it did not accommodate growing population). Gas lines, odd-even days, red flags, green flags, all that. Gas went up, lickety-split, to the $1.20+ range.

At what happened to trigger that goofy government action?

Anyone?

Bueller?

OPEC (You know. Our friends the Saudis) called for an embargo of oil going to the U.S. to force the U.S. to stop supporting Israel.

I worked in gas station in those days watching people pull out tire irons to defend their position in the gas line. I do remember that gas went from 0.44 a gallon to 1.44 a gallon and held there for quite a long time.

When I left the mtns of Colorado for the flatlands of Houston in Oct/06, 85 octane (85 is the regular in CO) was running about $1.90-$2.10. When I arrived in HOU, I was paying about $1.61 for the first few months I was here.

So, in less than 24 months, I saw it go from $1.61, up to as much as $4.15. but it is still dropping- not as fast as it went up, but becoming marginally less painful each time I have to fill up. Filled up last night for $3.19.....

Thats a 100% increase in 22 months, and that at the reduced rates of today, not those insane rates of a month ago.

Dang. The best I've seen around here is $3.91, and that's considered cheap for Chicago!

Back