Frustrated - crappy dam!n weather!

jbrinker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrinker
I'm all set for my long solo XC, but the weather has been completely crap here for going on 2 weeks- other than one, maybe two days (That I could not go).

Just venting. Not looking to get any better anytime soon. Guess I'm going to set up some more dual under the hood time.

Question - If my instructor is a CFII, is it legal for him to take me into real IMC for training for PPL? Just thinking that would be a pretty realistic bit of training....

I'm all set for my long solo XC, but the weather has been completely crap here for going on 2 weeks- other than one, maybe two days (That I could not go).

Just venting. Not looking to get any better anytime soon. Guess I'm going to set up some more dual under the hood time.

Question - If my instructor is a CFII, is it legal for him to take me into real IMC for training for PPL? Just thinking that would be a pretty realistic bit of training....
Yes it's legal.

If my instructor is a CFII, is it legal for him to take me into real IMC for training for PPL?

Yup, he/she can do it and as such (actual), and it beats those damn foggles!

BTW sunny, clear , and around 60 here in sunny Alabama! ;):)

Last edited:
Real IFR,IMC is always more fun than wearing the goggles. Will work out better for you in the long run.

Move to Arizona...born and raised here and I have had enough of the sun. I'm ready to move somewhere where it rains every day and I never see the sun again.

Move to Arizona...born and raised here and I have had enough of the sun. I'm ready to move somewhere where it rains every day and I never see the sun again.
I guess the grass is always greener... or sunnier.. or whatever :) How about this, we trade for a few weeks?

We had a great fall, with lots of clear-and-a-million days, and now its crap right down to the deck every day... I can't wait for it to at least get cold so maybe it clears up a bit.

They can, and it can be counted toward your instrument training as well.

The problem is the time of year it is and what the temperatures are. There is ice in the clouds right now (and pilot reports of that ice in your area) which is something you aren't going to want to mess with in a typical training airplane.

We had a great fall in my area. The weather was either perfectly clear or great IMC for training with no ice and warm temperatures. Now that the weather turned, my training flights have been significantly reduced. I've been helping one guy with a multi rating who has been stuck for a while now. We need to do instrument approaches, but there's ice. So, we're just waiting for the weather to clear. Hopefully this weekend.

Seattle oughta work for that. :D

Yea haha...I mean yea it's nice to have sun all the time for flying but damn I don't even know what rain is here...when I was in northern Arizona it was nice because we actually got some good weather...rain and snow

Yea haha...I mean yea it's nice to have sun all the time for flying but damn I don't even know what rain is here...when I was in northern Arizona it was nice because we actually got some good weather...rain and snow

There is a reason why we go outside to look at and smell the rain...it is such a rare occurrence here. FWIW I graduated from NAU in '91...the summer weather in Flagstaff was great.

It's legal to go into IMC for real with a CFII -- or even just any old instrument pilot (except you can't log it).

But it won't be useful at the student pilot stage, except perhaps to show you what can go wrong.

It will also eat up a lot of time, depending on what the local airspace is like.

The really important lesson here is learning patience. Fly when the weather says you can, not when you want to. It's far less forgiving as an instrument pilot, and more difficult. Not easier.

Those of us who live in the Seattle area hear that all the time and know that it is not the case.

Bob Gardner

I know, Bob. Was in Portland in 15 and flew to KAWO. Had beautiful weather. Gotta keep the myth going though. ;)

Keep in mind your CFI-I is probably staying current and proficient at Instrument flying -- see if he's flying with another CFI or safety pilot for that and whether they're flying something big enough to take a passenger along. You can learn a lot watching a couple of instrument instructors beat each other up from the back seat.

as long as he's current in the airplane and for IFR has had its VOR check in the last 30 days -

as long as he's current in the airplane and for IFR has had its VOR check in the last 30 days -

VOR check is not necessary if the aircraft flies RNAV. Then, you have to worry about the database. But it's a good idea as a backup. It's not difficult at all, and only takes a few minutes if the aircraft has two functional receivers.

I don't believe it's useful for a student pilot to fly in IMC, except as a demo of what can go wrong. And it's definitely a bad idea if ice is a factor and the airplane is not certified.

I don't believe it's useful for a student pilot to fly in IMC, except as a demo of what can go wrong. And it's definitely a bad idea if ice is a factor and the airplane is not certified.

Disagree. I did it with some of my students and never had a problem. One lady student actually encountered IMC on a XC, did a 180 and returned to the departure airport. So in her case it worked out great, and I was proud of her and praised her for remaining and departing it. I wasn't exposing them to IMC just for grins but as an experience of what it could be like if they encountered IMC and not to panic, as the student who did the 180 displayed.

I would do the same with my students. When you are under the hood you know that in the back of your mind you can lift the hood and instant VFR. In IMC you do not have that option. I would have them do the classic 180 turn, a climb & descent. In case you're wondering at the time I was an air traffic controller and we had plenty of airspace near the small airport I flew out of.

It's not necessary for him to be a CFII. A CFI can give a student pilot instrument instruction in actual conditions.

If they do, it may not be used for the 40 hours of simulated or actual instrument flight required for the rating.

Grayson interpretation letter, 2010:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...0/grayson-3 - (2010) legal interpretation.pdf

Key paragraph, especially the last sentence:

"The FAA has consistently interpreted § 61.195( c) to permit instrument training only by a flight instructor who has an instrument rating on the flight instructor certificate and on the commercial or air transport pilot certificate. See Legal Interpretation to Taylor Grayson(Jan. 4, 2010); Legal Interpretation to Tom A. Drake (Aug. 7, 1997). The FAA has distinguished instrument training from training in "basic instrument maneuvers" under § 61.107 and training in the "control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to the instruments" under § 61.109 necessary for private pilot certificate. See Grayson Interpretation. However, those exceptions are inapplicable in the context of training for an instrument rating because generally the pilot seeking an instrument rating already has a private pilot certificate. Accordingly, any training provided to a pilot seeking an instrument rating (including instrument training in addition to the minimum training required under 61.65(d)(2)) would be instrument training, and the CFI providing that training must have an instrument rating on the flight instructor and pilot certificates."

If they do, it may not be used for the 40 hours of simulated or actual instrument flight required for the rating.

Not exactly right - you're making the same mistake Grayson made - conflating the 15-hours dual instruction, with the 40-hours actual or simulated.

See the first half of the paragraph you quoted: (Emphasis added)

"Your letter appears to suggest that (SECT) 61.65(d)(2) requires 15 hours of instrument training from a CFI with an instrument rating on the flight instructor and pilot certificates and 25 hours of other instrument training. Section 61.65(d)(2) does not require 40 Hours of instrument training; it requires 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time. As part of those 40 hours of instrument time, 15 must be completed with a CFI who has an instrument rating (In other words, instrument training). A pilot seeking an instrument rating also must receive 3 hours of instrument training within 2 calendar months preceding the practical test and instrument training on cross-county flight procedures, which may be part of the 40 and 15 total hours required. Under the regulations, the required instrument time other than instrument training does not require the presence of a CFI but only the presence an individual qualified to act as safety pilot or as pilot in command of an operation in actual instrument conditions."

I flew a couple of hours doing several dozen approaches in actual during my instrument training with a non-CFI, IFR pilot - all of which counted to my 40 hours of instrument time (but did not, of course, count towards the 15-hours of instruction time).

Last edited:
Not exactly right - you're making the same mistake Grayson made - conflating the 15-hours dual instruction, with the 40-hours actual or simulated.

See the first half of the paragraph you quoted: (Emphasis added)

"Your letter appears to suggest that (SECT) 61.65(d)(2) requires 15 hours of instrument training from a CFI with an instrument rating on the flight instructor and pilot certificates and 25 hours of other instrument training. Section 61.65(d)(2) does not require 40 Hours of instrument training; it requires 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time. As part of those 40 hours of instrument time, 15 must be completed with a CFI who has an instrument rating (In other words, instrument training). A pilot seeking an instrument rating also must receive 3 hours of instrument training within 2 calendar months preceding the practical test and instrument training on cross-county flight procedures, which may be part of the 40 and 15 total hours required. Under the regulations, the required instrument time other than instrument training does not require the presence of a CFI but only the presence an individual qualified to act as safety pilot or as pilot in command of an operation in actual instrument conditions."

I flew a couple of hours doing several dozen approaches in actual during my instrument training with a non-CFI, IFR pilot - all of which counted to my 40 hours of instrument time (but did not, of course, count towards the 15-hours of instruction time).

I was very clear - I said it wouldn't count for the Instrument rating TRAINING. Grayson is BEFORE this letter, not after. This letter clarifies Grayson. Not the other way around.

I wasn't arguing that he can't get "trained" by anyone. The better word is "experience" from anyone.

I was pointing out that he'll have to do some of it with a CFI-I, later. FAA is very clear in the second paragraph about that.

They even say that your 40 shouldn't have included that time with the non-CFI-I but some examiners miss it because of the way it's logged. AND it can be logged anyway with the CFI simply acting as PIC under their pilot certificate. But technically the CFI (non-I) can only give "instruction" on "basic instrument maneuvers". Approaches aren't really that.

With this letter in hand there's no way to justify it, because of the paragraph I quoted. If you go by the direct wording of the second paragraph.

(Frankly I think they've made a mess of it with all these letters, but that's par for the course these days. And honestly I'm not even sure the lawyer who wrote it gets what he wrote really. But it's there now and it's the latest word on the topic.)

In other words, he can get Instrument EXPERIENCE just fine from anyone qualified to be PIC, and even log it if there's a CFI (non-II) on board, and he MUST get some for the Private certificate from a CFI (non-II) -- it's just not allowed to be called Instrument TRAINING for the rating. In the sheer legal sense.

It's a nitpicky mess -- but the paragraph I quoted is very clear about it. The core thought in he paragraph you quoted is the lawyer is explaining how those "cut outs" for a CFI do NOT apply to anything other than "basic instrument maneuvers". The sentences before that are simply setting the stage that a Private candidate can be trained for "basic instrument maneuvers" and the lawyer is making sure his letter doesn't change that law, while explaining how it does NOT apply for TRAINING for the Instrument rating.

When you move away from the law, back to the real world, in reality, all Instrument work is "training" in the non-law sort of real-world way.

ANY exposure to it is a net benefit to the pilot, IMHO.

But a CFI (non-I) is not supposed to be teaching anything other than "basic Instrument maneuvers".

My warning was simply that read at face value, an examiner must follow this letter and could reject anything that say, said, "taught Instrument approach procedures" in the logbook with a "CFI" number next to the signature of a CFI with no Instrument privileges.

But also in the real world, many wouldn't notice it. Like yours.

They'd see a signature and miss that it wasn't signed by a CFI who has Instrument privileges on their CFI cert, because the certificate number doesn't change.

All the logbook says is "John Doe (signature) nnnnnnnCFI".

Some CFIs sign with "MEI" or "CFII" but it's absolutely not a requirement and technically isn't correct.

So there's no real world way other than researching the CFI number or the examiner KNOWING the CFI -- AND the examiner paying close attention to who signed what -- to catch it at the logbook review. By this letter they're probably SUPPOSED to disqualify anything a CFI (non-I) does beyond "basic instrument maneuvers" but I bet many miss it.

Plus most are pragmatic: Like I said, I think any exposure at all to the real world of Instrument flying is ultimately good for any pilot. I suspect everyone else involved in the training process would generally agree.

The law and this letter both agree, that I as a CFI (non-I) should not be teaching beyond that fuzzy "basic instrument maneuvers" line nor signing off on any "instrument training" beyond that. Law also says I MUST sign if ANY training is given. Catch-22.

Comes down to this: Would I want to defend in court that flying approaches with any student was only "basic instrument maneuvers"? No. I'm surprised your CFI (non-I) signed next to approaches in your logbook. If I did that, I'd do it under my pilot certificate and Instrument privileges you'd be a safety pilot. I'd be PIC for the flight. I wouldn't sign that flight with my CFI privileges or certificate. I'd be outside the bounds of what I'm officially certificated to teach. Make sense?

Still counts for your 40... just in a different way. Doesn't count for your 15.

Which all goes to show: Be careful about what CFIs of any flavor write in your logbook. But in the end, that CFI that wrote that they did approaches with you without being a -I, didn't follow this guidance. And the examiner missed it. (Which is easy to do.)

Whew - that gives me a lot to think about when it comes time for instrument training.

Update: Got to finally fly again today. 2.5hrs, 1hr under the hood and the rest practicing short/soft field landings and takeoffs at various less-familiar airports around the area (and navigation between them). Was good to get back in the air after almost 3 weeks of bad weather. Looks like the rest of this week will suck too, so back to reading and studying for the checkride for a while. Keep hoping for one or two good days of high pressure and clear skies to do my XC. But still other things to work on. I haven't tallied up the last page yet, but I know I've crossed 40hrs now. Enjoying the ride...

Im in the same boat here in NH. I have had to scrap my long solo XC for 2-3 weeks because of weather. and on days like yesterday when the weather looks good, the planes are all booked. oh well... some day...

I was very clear - I said it wouldn't count for the Instrument rating TRAINING. Grayson is BEFORE this letter, not after. This letter clarifies Grayson. Not the other way around.

Since i have neither the time, nor the inclination to respond to every misrespresentation in your comment (eg, I did quote the Grayson letter), here is the short version:

For the IFR experience requirements,

The 15-hours of INSTRUCTION (i.e. dual) - must be with a CFI-I

The rest of 40-hours of actual or simulated "does not require the presence of a CFI but only the presence an individual qualified to act as safety pilot or as pilot in command of an operation in actual instrument conditions."

Since i have neither the time, nor the inclination to respond to every misrespresentation in your comment (eg, I did quote the Grayson letter), here is the short version:

For the IFR experience requirements,

The 15-hours of INSTRUCTION (i.e. dual) - must be with a CFI-I

The rest of 40-hours of actual or simulated "does not require the presence of a CFI but only the presence an individual qualified to act as safety pilot or as pilot in command of an operation in actual instrument conditions."

Which is exactly what I said, but you left off that you said you had a CFI (non-I) sign it as "training" and you flew approaches with them. Or hinted that they did.

If they signed it only with their pilot certificate and not their CFI and not as training, with them just acting as an Instrument rated pilot, your scenario is fine for the portion that's not the 15.

They're flying and PIC and you're required crew for looking out the window. Or the other way around, you're flying as sole manipulator PIC and they're required crew looking out the window. They aren't SUPPOSED to teach, that's technically outside the confines of their CFI certificate without the -I. (Will they teach you stuff? Probably. Real world vs logging world. Will the insurance company hang them if you taxi into a jet, definitely with a CFI cert in their pocket.)

In other words, you can't log "dual received" for approaches from a non -I, and they can't sign it off as training for approaches. But there's legal ways to log it for the 40 hours, and not the 15.

Like I said, the Catch-22 is if the CFI non-I teaches you *anything* during a flight, they're required to sign your logbook with their cert number by law. Let's say he taught you a better way to taxi, and then you went and did approaches. He's within his certification for the former, and not for the latter, but the logbook will have a signature. It will LOOK to a casual observer of the logbook like it was instrument training, but it doesn't count toward the 15. The way to clarify it is in comments.

Which is exactly what I said, but you left off that you said you had a CFI (non-I) sign it as "training" and you flew approaches with them. Or hinted that they did.

If they signed it only with their pilot certificate and not their CFI and not as training, with them just acting as an Instrument rated pilot, your scenario is fine for the portion that's not the 15.

They're flying and PIC and you're required crew for looking out the window. Or the other way around, you're flying as sole manipulator PIC and they're required crew looking out the window. They aren't SUPPOSED to teach, that's technically outside the confines of their CFI certificate without the -I. (Will they teach you stuff? Probably. Real world vs logging world. Will the insurance company hang them if you taxi into a jet, definitely with a CFI cert in their pocket.)

In other words, you can't log "dual received" for approaches from a non -I, and they can't sign it off as training for approaches. But there's legal ways to log it for the 40 hours, and not the 15.

Like I said, the Catch-22 is if the CFI non-I teaches you *anything* during a flight, they're required to sign your logbook with their cert number by law. Let's say he taught you a better way to taxi, and then you went and did approaches. He's within his certification for the former, and not for the latter, but the logbook will have a signature. It will LOOK to a casual observer of the logbook like it was instrument training, but it doesn't count toward the 15. The way to clarify it is in comments.

You really do keep misreading what I said. Go back and read it again

I never said I had a Cfi (non-I) ride with me.

I said I had an instrument pilot, who was not a cfi of any stripe, riding wth me in actual

He was acting PIC, I logged PIC as sole manipulator of the controls.

You really do keep misreading what I said. Go back and read it again

I never said I had a Cfi (non-I) ride with me.

I said I had an instrument pilot, who was not a cfi of any stripe, riding wth me in actual

He was acting PIC, I logged PIC as sole manipulator of the controls.

I see it now. I read that one as CFI not non-CFI. Eyeballs must have just blown past the "non-" part.

Sorry. Sounds like we are in violent agreement. Amazing for around here, I know. ;) hahaha.

Probably the review of those letters will help others out, though. The two letters on different dates plus the FAR makes for a messy topic.

Especially for the CFI as far as when to sign, and the examiners who rarely bother to check the CFI certs but see a signature next to something beyond "basic Instrument maneuvers".

Back